Hello there. I am experiencing heavy graphics issues while playing dayz and I hope, that someone here has an idea what can be done about it.

The Problem is best described when you watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ja_FMcbb-w

especially from 00:50 so the last couple of seconds.

I get this "HDR flickering" almost ALL the time, now that I have about 6000 Blood left on my char and everythings black&white.

Infos:

Bought the steam version of Arma2 + OA

Don't have any version information atm because I'm at work ;)

Graphics: Radeon HD 5970

Is there any way to disable HDR in this game? Does it have anything to do with HDR or any other settings?

Hi,

Try turning off post-processing effects in settings, that may fix your issue.

Cheers.

Edit: Ensure you're running the most updated version of the game with the Arma beta installed.

Edited by Remix
  • Like 1

I played around with a lot of possible combinations of graphics settings, but nothing helped.

Everytime I think that it may have improved... it starts flickering awaaaaaayyy.

Is your GPU overheating? Arma2 is known to overheat many kinds of GPUs when the settings are too high, causing graphical corruption.

Also try updating your GPU drivers.

Edited by ActionMan
  • Like 1

Is your GPU overheating? Arma2 is known to overheat many kinds of GPUs when the settings are too high, causing graphical corruption.

Also try updating your GPU drivers.

I think they're up to date, but I'll check :)

I was thinking about GPU overheating, but the lighting effect when you're wounded or low on blood seems to have multiplied this error.

I don't know how a black&white effect could have worsened gpu overheating. But I'll check on that too!

Thanks for your qick responses!

ive exactly same issue, tried to disable post-processing from settings but still same, i dont have it often just sometimes so its not very annoying but would be nice to find it out, im using 2x6850 ati sapphire, drivers up-2-date.

had this issue also on battlefield 3 and fixed it by marking "disabling desktop composition" in compatibility window over the exe.

in arma does not work.

willing for any info about this. thx

• Like 1

ive found my solution by modifying arma2oa.cfg

this is the fount.

http://www.sweclockers.com/forum/138-arma-och-dayz/1117687-crossfire-och-dayz/

my cfg looks like this:

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=100000;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Windowed=0;

Resolution_W=1920;

Resolution_H=1080;

refresh=60;

winX=16;

winY=32;

winW=800;

winH=600;

winDefW=800;

winDefH=600;

Render_W=1920;

Render_H=1080;

FSAA=0;

postFX=0;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

HDRPrecision=32;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=2113937408;

nonlocalVRAM=2147483647;

vsync=0;

AToC=0;

FXAA=0;

PPAA=0;

PPAA_Level=0;

crossfire enabled,good fps and no flash

hope is helpfull!

• Like 2

Experienced the HDR flickering once again :)

I'll give your solution a try! Thanks again!

Experienced the HDR flickering once again :)

I'll give your solution a try! Thanks again!

did you get this problem fixed by the suggestion above???

i have tried everything, and searched google and cant find a 100% fix for this anywhere...

im told that it could be a crossfire problem, so im going to try and disable one card, if that does not work, i might try the fix above... but what i dont like is that the cfg. settings above actually lower your graphics settings, and i should not have to lower settings as my system is more than enough to cope with arma maxed out.

i would put it down to crossfire and/or ATI drivers as they are useless with there drivers... typical case of drivers of ATI... work 100% on some games and not others, then u change drivers and then u get the games that didnt work to work, and the ones that did work dont... ATI suck!

but i hope someone can find a fix soon for this, i dont fancy paying out £600 for a new SLI setup (which would probably be the best fix for this issue)

EDIT:

noticed alot of nvidia people have this issue also.... hmmmm? guess its not a driver or crossfire problem but actually the game itself maybe?

i will have to start a new thread on this issue.

Edited by Susscon

ive found my solution by modifying arma2oa.cfg

this is the fount.

http://www.sweclocke...sfire-och-dayz/

my cfg looks like this:

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=100000;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Windowed=0;

Resolution_W=1920;

Resolution_H=1080;

refresh=60;

winX=16;

winY=32;

winW=800;

winH=600;

winDefW=800;

winDefH=600;

Render_W=1920;

Render_H=1080;

FSAA=0;

postFX=0;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

HDRPrecision=32;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=2113937408;

nonlocalVRAM=2147483647;

vsync=0;

AToC=0;

FXAA=0;

PPAA=0;

PPAA_Level=0;

crossfire enabled,good fps and no flash

hope is helpfull!

Confirming that this DOES work, thank you so much for posting this, I used this for my SLi set up so it should work for anyone with the stupid flickering, just make sure to leave the vram values to the defaults you already have, not everyone has the same amount of vram.

ill try it but...

This is a workaround not a FIX!

this .cfg setup degrades your graphic settings which is not acceptable for me as i have a rig that can run with maxed out settings on ArmA.

im looking for a fix that will rid me of flickering on full settings without having to lower my graphics... lowering the graphics is just a way around the problem not actually fixing it.

we should not have to lower our graphics to play this game unless your system cant handle it maxed out.

Confirming that this DOES work, thank you so much for posting this, I used this for my SLi set up so it should work for anyone with the stupid flickering, just make sure to leave the vram values to the defaults you already have, not everyone has the same amount of vram.

yes indeed not everyone has same amount of vram sry i didnt mention on my previous post, here is the link where u can find out how to set it up and also some more tricks:

http://forums.overcl....php?t=18024779

ill try it but...

This is a workaround not a FIX!

this .cfg setup degrades your graphic settings which is not acceptable for me as i have a rig that can run with maxed out settings on ArmA.

im looking for a fix that will rid me of flickering on full settings without having to lower my graphics... lowering the graphics is just a way around the problem not actually fixing it.

we should not have to lower our graphics to play this game unless your system cant handle it maxed out.

you are right man, not a fix but the only solution aside of modifing cfg was disabling 1 card wich believe me degrades even more de game experience...fps/and quality...

once u find ur thing (mine was the cores work delay) u can try to modify/increase some of the other values. up to u :) (btw vsying=1 at game and off, unless aplication specifies at catalyst)

glad it helped someppl :D believe me i was looking day'n night for a solution and some ppl still have the issue after years playing arma, so if u can fix it by touching cfg be happy coz i dont see ati/nvidia/arma trying to fix it anytime soon.

if need anything pm :D cheers!

Edited by shilu
  • Like 2

yes indeed not everyone has same amount of vram sry i didnt mention on my previous post, here is the link where u can find out how to set it up and also some more tricks:

you are right man, not a fix but the only solution aside of modifing cfg was disabling 1 card wich believe me degrades even more de game experience...fps/and quality...

once u find ur thing (mine was the cores work delay) u can try to modify/increase some of the other values. up to u :) (btw vsying=1 at game and off, unless aplication specifies at catalyst)

glad it helped someppl :D believe me i was looking day'n night for a solution and some ppl still have the issue after years playing arma, so if u can fix it by touching cfg be happy coz i dont see ati/nvidia/arma trying to fix it anytime soon.

if need anything pm :D cheers!

(mine was the cores work delay) u can try to modify/increase some of the other values. up to u :) (btw vsying=1 at game and off, unless aplication specifies at catalyst)

Could you explain in a bit more detail what you mean my ''cores work delay'' and ''vsying=1 at game and off, unless aplication specifies at catalyst'' please???

i would be greatfull if you could as i have tried everything and still get the flickering... even if i turn down/off most of the graphics i still get it, but not as often as when its set to max.

thanx in advance.

Could you explain in a bit more detail what you mean my ''cores work delay'' and ''vsying=1 at game and off, unless aplication specifies at catalyst'' please???

try:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

or

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=2;

--------------------------------------

try:

in game turn on v sync

in ati catalyst change Virtual sync to: off, unless aplication specifies

or

in game turn off v sync

in ati catalyst change Virtual sync to: always off

aside of all this try all other tweaks explained over this link:

most of the flickering issues are coming from crossfire which seems to work with a delay between cores, seems 1 of the cores access to directx libraries first, then 2nd core is trying to access to that info while first core has it in use,then "somehow" it occurs the flickering.

or v sync where the game even having it enable or disabled is ignoring the catalyst options or vicebersa ...im not an expert, im kinda begginer but ive read a lot and this is what i understood. i can be wrong :D

also sry for the english but feel free to post any doubt .

Edited by shilu
  • Like 2

x2post sry

Thank you, i will try this combination of settings, i hope it works for me... i will post back when i know if its cured my problem.

im at night at the moment and it rarley happens in the dark.

even if it dont work, thanks for sharing the information, its always handy to know new tips people have not yet tried.

you have my beans.

Edited by Susscon

So Far So Good!!!

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=2;

&

in ati catalyst change Virtual sync to: always off

These are the settings i have tried and not a single flicker yet.

i have played in DayZ and the single and multiplayer on all ArmA modes... OA: PMC: BAF: all working fine... BUT!

i have a had a drop in performance from changing GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1; & GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=2; but its not very noticeable at all! Still very Playable (im just being a touch fussy)

i will try at some point to set both of these settings to ''3'' because it seems to be a sweet spot for my performance rating, or maybe try ''2'' & ''3''.

im hoping that the flicker issue was the ''forcing vsync off'' in CCC that solved it and not the GPU settings in the .cfg file.

if it turns out i can set them back to the value of ''3'' then im laughing :thumbsup: :D

will post the outcome here.

and

shilu

im gonna give u more beans, well done for finding that out mate.

May The Beans Be With You.... Always! :beans: :beans: :beans:

Edited by Susscon
  • Like 1

glad to hear !

now lets call ati catalyst developers to give shilu work!

now seriously this thing could be implemented in catalyst profiles for arma 2 game so the sh1t loat of ppl having this hdr flickering could get it solve

im off to bed my ass hurts from BEAN FARTS!!! :D

LOL!

whats strange is 2 of my friends have ATI and never had this problem, so it might only be caused by certain cards...

like i said in another thread this Flickering problem seems to be a mixture of things including model of the card, the CCC and also ArmA combined.

My other friends have Nvidia Cards and SLI with no problems, and yet again there are people on this forum with Nvidia and SLI who do get the flickering problem lol ??

fukin madness!

well this fix worked for me anyway so i hope it does for others too.

Btw out of curiosity... what cards are you running? i have 5850's Crossfire.

its complex to say under what circunstances flickering is gonna occur coz its a bug and not a major problem, if it was something happening to everyone it would be alrdy fixed.

between ati and nvidia, both of them having issues just check their forums...

im actually running 2xati sapphire 6870 proud to say w,o any problem besides this flicker thing which i always fix somehow. most of time is client/software side...

Well i think its safe to say it was the Vsync in CCC that was causing it,

i set..

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=3;

&

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=3;

and kept the Vsync forced to ''off'' in CCC

and now the performance is back to 100% with no flickering on maxed out settings.

I think the HDRPrecision setting is the culprit here:

make sure it´s set at least to high (16) or even very high (32).

I think the HDRPrecision setting is the culprit here:

make sure it´s set at least to high (16) or even very high (32).

seems i had it 32 from the begining (when flickering was running every few secs) for me GPU_MaxFramesAhead=; & GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=; & V SYnc was the key

Edited by shilu
  • Like 1

Well up until now not a flicker... but using night vision scope has brought it straight back looking at certain spots on the game, i had to turn down HDR to the lowest setting in order to use my night vision scope or the flickering just appears again :(

but apart from the flickering using my scope im not getting it otherwise, which is something at least. >:(