Sign in to follow this  
bond1971@tpg.com.au

Password Protected Servers ? Whats the Go?

Heya, Ive noticed a lot of new servers lately which is awesome as getting on a server was quite painful. However Ive also noticed that there are now heaps of servers that are password protected with names like DayZ + Friends, whats the go with this ?, how easy would it be to get on a server with just a group of buddies, farm everything safely (apart from those annoying zombies of course) and then go to a populated normal server with all the leet gear??

This seems to be really unfair to those of us that start off a beach like landing at Normandy in 44 with small numbers of survivors making it inland to find stuff, all you have to do is to join a 'friends/buddy' server and gear up ?

Not only am I seeing a lot of passworded servers but also servers with limits of 10+ people, how easy is it with only 10 peeps on a server instead of 50 ?

Anyway, love the Game, ive bought 5 copies for the entire family :) (Does this qualify me for a 'buddy' passworded server ? :)

So you bitch about passworded servers, then (not so) jokingly finish up with a comment about getting on a passworded server?

Nice.

Passworded servers are against DayZ regulations, but in some cases a lot of people are testing while encountering some pretty severe issues with 1.7.2 since yesterday. I've been doing something similar with my server. After 1.7.2 killing my server and much testing, changes and rigmarole, we rolled back to 1.7.1.5 only to experience apparent hive issues.

Long story short, a lot of people are having problems and working on their servers. Some people are just passwording so they can farm with buddies.

Which is kind of silly, because the best way to get loot in this game is from killing other people.

Nah I don't want my own server, the appeal with this game is the interactions with others as with any other multiplayer game. I can see how easy it would be to gear up though and then swap back to normal servers, it sort of takes away the death penalty and the challenges newly spawned people face at the start. Yeah I am sure I will see heaps of responses like 'Just testing the server' or other such rubbish, these were locked before 1.7.2 and I am quite sure will be locked for some time to come.

Was mostly curious as to the response from DayZ and what they plan on doing about it, their response might be nothing and thats ok, I would just like to know.

The fact is, passwording servers is forbidden for various reasons, and one of them is so people can't gear up on their own server and then go hit other servers with their fancy gear. I agree passwording servers for loot farming is lame as the day is long, don't worry.

But as a server owner, I'd like to stress that in some cases, particularly in the face of bugs and glitches like those presented in 1.7.2 (which I'm not complaining about, it's an alpha - it happens) sometimes we have to make sure our servers are running correctly and won't do things that piss people off. Like getting stuck on loading or unable to enter the server, or worse still, someone's gear getting eaten or some other happy bug that makes them come here screaming 'admin abuse! admin abuse!' Which people do, at length, along with the others that come here crying every time they see a server locked.

The DayZ team monitors and warns/blacklists servers for breaching regulations. Just as fast, there are new servers being bought online every single day that just circumvent the rules again. DayZ staff can't stop every single one, it's impossible. Relax knowing rules are enforced, and those who break them perpetually will, and do, get punished.

The bullsh*t passwording is usually done by people that are too scared to chance PvP and bleed a little for their gear anyway. It's a shame because the best gear I've gotten in this game has been from other people. I've done barracks farming and it's the most boring, godforsaken task there is.

Here's a tip for those people - go camp one of the NW Airfield barracks. Don't go in, resist the urge to farm, just wait. You'll find barracks server hoppers in no time. They're completely predictable, and you can ALWAYS count on them being there. For example, I've only ever found two pairs of NVG from an actualy spawn - but from other people, I've claimed probably around 10.

Pop a server hopper, and do your part. You can also score awesome gear!

alot of other people have switched to the totally stable local database version of dayz as well. quite a few pworded servers are not connected to the central hive anyway. so even if you logged on you would not have your regular character. these are usually used for private games from what I can tell.

haha I like your thinking when it comes to Server hoppers :) but im a softy, prefer to warn people first, only pvp kills I have is when retaliating when someone in party has been murdered, subsequently getting myself killed as well.

Anyway, thanks for responding, I do too understand the need to lock out servers occasionally to patch, purge, hotfix etc and even allow reasonable time to actually log in and test it. Hats off to those sysadmins that pride themselves on running a smooth environment, my gripe is only against those server admins that use it selfishly.

I am from Aus (as I note you are) and the servers I can join are slim picking at best, was only the ANZ server (2 at +2 and 2 +10) however I have noticed more and more servers, teh AU ones and a raft of NZ ones that have low ping times. It just used to hurt when you couldnt get on as they were full and you would see half empty password protected ones that you couldnt join. I think this problem will sort of go away when more and more servers come online and you can join servers quickly.

Kudos back for being understanding. My only concern is making sure people understand there are admins trying to do the right thing out there, and the so-and-sos not doing the right thing with their servers don't reflect the community at large. Many admins also get a bit touchy due to the prolific amounts of admin bashing that occurs on the forums, some of it with good reason, most of it without.

Also, your approach to PvP is understandable as well. I chose a different path... or maybe I just got disillusioned as time went on.

Either way, good luck finding more good ping and stable servers available to you.