sparta436

Horrible FPS with my monster rig, Help me out?

yeah but 10-20 fps comes from your better CPU because arma 2 is very CPU-hungry :D

Edited by The L!ne

Just so you know lowering settings under high will utilize CPU over GPU, which is NOT a good thing if you have a great GPU.

I'm getting 20 fps in cities with my setup: amd phenom 965 3.4Ghz quad, 560ti, 4gb ram

All settings to high except for aa/af/pp disabled. Lowering my setting causes lag (more CPU).

I'll post what i posted in another thread to attempt to clear up why ArmA 2 can have terrible performance on good rigs, aswell as bad rigs.

The performance you can get out of ArmA 2 is very limited even on high end gear. ArmA 2 does not utilize multiple threads and cores properly. You can use a command line to "help" it on its way, but its still far away from being optimal. You would be able to notice this by looking at your total CPU usage during gameplay, aswell as which cores are being used to run ArmA 2. In most cases, you will see it mostly using just 1, and at occations, very little of a 2nd core. This results is very bad performance on high-end rigs, or rather, limited performance.

Your best bet is to lower graphics as much as possible, ive got a few config tweaks that are almost bound to give you another 30-50 fps. It will reduce the overall quality of the picture, but help the game run better on the limited amount of cores it is able to use. This will help lessen the load on the one/two cores being utilized by ArmA, so that it is not loaded.

Navigate to your documents folder and open the ArmA 2 folder, in here open ArmA2OA.cfg and look for these values, and make sure they are as quoted. if any of these arent in the file, add them.

ArmA2OA.cfg

PPAA=0;
PPAA_Level=0;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;
GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

Optionally, you can remove mousesmoothing aswell. This gives you a more responsive behaviour like BF3/CS, instead of ArmA 2s very sluggish and muddy mouse movement. To do this, add this line

mouseSmoothing=1;

Next, open up your profiles operation arrowhead config and find these values and match them

shadingQuality=10;
shadowQuality=0;
maxSamplesPlayed=32;
anisoFilter=1;
TexQuality=1;
TexMemory=4;
useWBuffer=0;
tripleHead=0;
sceneComplexity=150000;
terrainGrid=50;

These exact settings will reduce the draw distance of objects/trees and grass. It will make the game look "bad" compared to high settings, but you can play with them as you like. Using this exact setup will allow you to reach a good 70-110 fps in decent sized/small villages and the rest of the world. Where elektro and cherno will give you a good 50-60 frames. Good luck!

50-60 frames?????

What kind of rig are you using?

I'm getting 20 fps in Cherno with amd phenom 965 3.4Ghz, Nvidia 560TI, 4GB RAM

Reducing distance to objects, isn't that part server sided to 1000?

Thanks for your config setup, oh and archlinux rocks!

Edited by whatever

you can buy it but do not expect to run it above medium settings ;)

you can buy it but do not expect to run it above medium settings ;)

But low or high makes no difference in FPS.

Also a Phenom II will NEVER go above 60% in Arma.

It's just a shitty engine...

And low settings make it worse in many cases, because they stress the cpu even more.

ummm I do fine in Dayz with AMD... I have a Phenom X6 3.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 Gskillz and 2x GTX 460OC SLI and a 9800gtx for Physx and I never have a drop in fps town or woods..steady 60-90fps the whole game.

CPU is everything in Arma2, i have an old 8800GTX running it with a Q9550 @ 3.3ghz & game runs beautifully, if i swap it out with my 560ti from another rig performance is exactly the same.

I have all of these same issue with FPS dropping to cruddy levels and not bouncing back when not in "tasking" areas. But I'm having a hard time reading these posts because what a lot of you don't seem to understand is that this is an ALPHA mod, which means it's unoptimized (Both client and server side). I run the game on max settings excellently in single player without any hitches and I've played for 3 or 4 hours straight at most without any issues. It's NOT a hardware issue. Please educate yourselves a bit more on what you're discussing before coming to conclusions on what the issue may be.

Specs:

AMD Phenom II x6 @ 3.0 GHz

Gigabyte 880GA-UD3H

8GB DDR3 1866 MHz RAM

nVidia GeForce GTX 670 FTW Edition

250GB WD Caviar Blue SATA 2 system drive (3.0GB/s)

500GB WD Caviar Blue SATA 3 game drive (6.0GB/s)

Thermaltake 850w PSU

Loki HDT Higher Performance CPU cooler

Lol, of course it's hardware, it's not an issue other than you need a very fast cpu to run the game well, Arma2 is a cpu hog, anyone that has been playing the Arma series knows this, nubs do not, nubs need to ask questions to get themselve's educated, who r u, the net polizi?

Btw, your cpu is the problem.

Edited by Razorman

Lol, of course it's hardware, it's not an issue other than you need a very fast cpu to run the game well, Arma2 is a cpu hog, anyone that has been playing the Arma series knows this, nubs do not, nubs need to ask questions to get themselve's educated, who r u, the net polizi?

Btw, your cpu is the problem.

Ah, so my issue is that I get 60FPS in single player but I need to buy a new "faster" CPU to get 60FPS in DayZ, makes sense bro thanks for the info.

Anyone that knows anything about ALPHA mods knows that they are unoptimized, nubs do not, nubs need to ask questions to get themselves educated (There's no apostrophe in themselves btw).

I don't think so... and I'm sorry, but who are you?

• Like 1

Ah, so my issue is that I get 60FPS in single player but I need to buy a new "faster" CPU to get 60FPS in DayZ, makes sense bro thanks for the info.

Anyone that knows anything about ALPHA mods knows that they are unoptimized, nubs do not, nubs need to ask questions to get themselves educated (There's no apostrophe in themselves btw).

I don't think so... and I'm sorry, but who are you?

Win.

My 955 @ 3.8 GHz is far from bottlenecked.

My 7950 is rap*ng DayZ.

I found the problem! Shitty user! Naw, just kidding. Actually it is a shitty user.

User was warned for this post.

"User was warned"? You put that in yourself? :P

If you don't know, google me....

http://bit.ly/OHtvkn

Sorry, nothing worth while popped up bud. I suggest before you try to put yourself in the higher tiers of hardware knowledge that you actually read up on it a bit. FPS issues with mid-high end rigs are not local issues but server and mod issues.

Good fight.

EDIT: Found a slight quick-fix for FPS issues and it works quite well. http://tinyurl.com/7yugof4

Edited by Zer0_Cool

I have:

HIS Radeon 6950 HD OC

Phenom II X4 @ 2.9ghz

I'm on maximum settings at 1280x1040

You should EASILY be able to play at max at this resolution.

Have you checked if both your cards are being used?

Have you tried the 12.8 RC1 ATI drivers from guru3d? Gave me around a 11 FPS boost on a 7950, cities don't get me below 60 frames

A fresh reinstall or a multi-boot with the same operating system only for that one game helps tremendously aswell :)

:edit: Also what CPU is that specifically? Can you not overclock it more? I have my 955 running at 4GHz and apparently the performance gain is not linear, it increased exponentially the higher I got, from 3.8 to 4.0 gave me a better boost than 3.5 to 3.7, oddly enough... :D

Edited by Fapguy

2 cards? oO 6950 is not a two-card-config...

It's 2 GPU's in one and still presents crossfire flickering though ;)

I don't remember if it only shows (1) GPU under hardware monitor or it shows 2 cores...

Edited by Fapguy