Sign in to follow this  
Y0shi (DayZ)

My suggestion for an Anti-Hopper system

Since I really love DayZ and it's intense scenes I'd like to post my ideas on how to get rid of server hoppers.

The usual appeal of a server hopper - experienced by me - looks like the following:

1. Get into position

2. Shut down the position by fencing, tank traps and sandbags (due to exploit which was fixed)

3. Do this on multiple servers

4. Log in from time to time and "happy looting"

So how to shut this down:

I'd be happy to see a system (based on the mainserver or something like that) which checks if people switch server often. Since this is nothing unusual (since I do this myself when server's are laggy, bugged or something like that) there has to be another stage of server hopping proof. I'd recommend then checking if the player picks up items quickly on multiple servers. Let's say if he picks up Item X on Server A and shortly after (5 mins or so) pickung up Item Y on Server B this guy might be a hopper.

This also requires some care by the players of DayZ since this appeal can also happen by randomness, but I guess it is a start. Maybe the crew has some more ideas on it.

I also hate fencing kits and sandbags. Let's be honest. Why do we use this items? I have never seen any sense in it. Maybe you could lock down your tent or something like that but still the ppl can switch server, walk into your barricades and then they're in anyways. So my oppinion on those "blocking items" is that they are just useful for server hoppers but useless for the "real-players".

Feel free to comment and share thoughts and critics ;)

Cheers!

• Like 1

This sounds like the most feasible idea for jumping from server to server spawning new loot.

Not to be confused with a similar term of "AltF4"ing, changing positions, then coming back to kill your attacker.

very, very solid points OP particularly about the obstructions 95% of the time I see them used its by people blocking off every single building in cherno/elektro

Exactly. I slept over this ideas and thought about something like introducing a engineering item or something like that which can cut fences, remove sandbags and destroy tank traps. Second alternative would be despawning this blocking stuff approx. 30 mins after placing them. There is some use to them: If you want to secure a building together with your squad you might want to shut down certain entrances or exits. But this never lasts longer than 30 mins I guess so this would be a good point here.