Time Glitch

What MineZ is Doing Right, and What DayZ Could Learn From It.

So for those of you who don't know, MineZ is a mod for Minecraft that's trying to emulate DayZ. It's not trying to BE DayZ, it's simply taking the open-world, persistent survival apocalypse and translating it over to Minecraft. The mod is in "Beta", but it's very clearly still in technical Alpha. For those interested, head over to /r/MineZ

Who cares, though? DayZ already exists. What could we possibly learn from some cheap imitator? Well, turns out MineZ is doing a lot of things that DayZ could learn from, and I think could work really well towards improving player relations in the future.

---------------------------------------

MineZ has a very clear "Friendly" stance that is easy to see and duplicate without compromising offensive ability.

In MineZ, simply "blocking" with right click is usually a sign of a friendly. This happens instantly and doesn't take 1-3 seconds for an animation. If they're barreling towards you with no intention of stopping, it's not a friendly. This makes it pretty damn easy to read someone's intentions. You get a few tricksters, but overall, it's much easier to read than in DayZ.

DayZ has a few of these, but almost all of them require the player to "disarm", or at least drop their ability to aim/shoot for the moment. Waggling with Q and E is currently the best option, but even that can really risky at times.

DayZ also struggles with visibility. Half the time, you aren't even going to see the other person unless they're right in front of you, and if they're right in front of you, someone is almost always going to shoot first. It's sad, but true. Maybe with something quicker, and immediately recognizable with a simple press of a button, DayZ survivors wouldn't always have to shoot on sight in these scenarios. I'm thinking "Wave".

Grouping up has great benefits, while solo play isn't punished.

This is something DayZ struggles with, but MineZ gets a lot of it right on it's first try. In MineZ, zombies are a big threat. If you're taking on a group of 3-4 solo, you're in for a battle, and your little wooden sword will probably be gone by the end of it. I learned early on that grouping up with even one more person increases your chances of survival by a considerable amount. Other people know this too, so grouping up with other kindly survivors is pretty easy to accomplish.

Banditry is also rampant in MineZ, so having a buddy along with you really helps increase survival chances. I remember we were rolling with a big group, and I got attacked. I ran back to the group, they noticed I was getting attacked, and they zerg'd the bandit. It was hilarious to watch, and he ran away as fast as he could. It was great.

The only problem MineZ runs into with groups is finding enough food. In DayZ, this isn't really a problem, so I think that if DayZ had a more identifiable "friendly" stance and harder zombies, we might see a little more player cooperation.

MineZ's weapons are naturally less threatening, promoting group play and easily identifying bandit intentions.

A lot of threads are popping up both around Reddit and on the DayZ forums promoting one idea: There's simply too many high-powered guns in the game. Right now, everyone and their mother has an assault rifle or sniper rifle, and if you don't, you probably have a high-powered sidearm. This makes relations with other players very uneasy, because if another player wants to kill you, they'll probably do it in one shot, without you seeing them.

This isn't the case in MineZ. The weapon with the most range is a bow and arrow, and you can clearly see if someone has one and is about to use it. Otherwise, bandits have to get up close and personal to dispense with you. You almost always have a chance to fight back, and bandits have to work for their kills.

DayZ has a lot to learn from MineZ in this respect. The rate of high-powered sniper rifles in DayZ is simply too damn high. In a zombie apocalypse, maybe ONE crazy individual is going to be perched somewhere with a DMR, picking off survivors. What you're NOT going to see is entire teams of ghillie-suited folks sitting on hills doing this. The resources wouldn't be that readily available in the real world, but in DayZ they are.

DayZ needs to tone down its high-powered military equipment, especially the long-range stuff. You can survive just as well with a Winchester and Makarov against Zeds as you would with a silenced M4 and G17. The military grade stuff seems to be there just to buff bandits, especially the sniper rifles. In MineZ, you'll be lucky to run across an Iron sword (The equivalent of an assault rifle), and it actually HELPS you against Zeds, not just players.

DayZ could learn from MineZ by severely increasing the rarity of military sniper rifles (CZ 550s and Lee Enfields becoming the norm for snipers), and decreasing the overall number of assault weapons. To help with the monotony, DayZ could add a few more low-tier weapons to its ranks, such as more melee and more "common household" firearms. I think this would help considerably to getting DayZ back to its roots, and feel more grounded without everyone running around with M4s and DMRs.

Bandits are easily identifiable by unique player skins and easy-to-read nametags.

I had a very fun time last night forming a rivalry with another player on MineZ. His name was Loborabo or something similar, and whenever we saw each other, it was time for battle. We formed this rivalry because we could instantly recognize each other, identify the other as hostile, and engage in combat.

In MineZ, identifying a bandit after they've killed you is very easy. It does this in a number of ways. First, player skins are very identifiable from a distance, and almost everyone is unique. Unlike the samey kind of look that everyone has in Arma II, this gives the player the immediate ability to say "Oh! That's that guy! KILL HIM!". This also gives that bandit a reputation.

MineZ also has the classic " Player X MURDERED Player Y!", but only at close range. These are not global broadcasts, only within a certain radius, where in real life you might notice the dying screams or gunshots of a murder in progress. If you round a corner and all of a sudden see Player X, then you can be extra cautious (In case it was self defense).

Also, MineZ does have player tags, but it's damn near impossible to see these player tags at range. This makes it so you don't have the DayZ problem of "Oh I just saw a player tag 1000m that way, let's have a look-see through my sniper. Oop! There he is! *bang...*

These systems in MineZ made keeping track of known bandits very easy, and avoiding them even easier. With nametags only visible at short range, unique player skins that easily identify who someone is, and very clear "X Killed Y" messages around you, banditry is a much more challenging art in MineZ than it is in DayZ.

It also doesn't hurt that MineZ doesn't have sniper rifles. Just sayin'.

From my time with MineZ, it's a much more friendly and cooperative experience than DayZ. Yeah, you'll get some of those dicks that kill you for no reason, but more often than not, after exchanging a few crouches and wags of the sword, you'll get a buddy to help you through the apocalypse.

I think DayZ could really use to have a little more of that.

EDIT: Finally got it all formatted correctly.

Edited by Time Glitch
  • Like 15

That's great, but everything you suggest has either already not worked or taken out because it compromised the game's core philosophy.

• Like 2

That all sounds _horrible_. You're trying to make this mod into something that it is not. Please, if you do read this Rocket, just do the opposite of what OP said. Thanks.

• Like 17

cant even see the text, but what ive taken from it is that you should probably go and play MineZ some more, then try copy paste more features from it to dayz.

• Like 1

Some of the things you mention will never change, such as minez weapons being less threatening. Guns can never be less threatening, and Minez cannot make the game threatening with it's graphical style. Anyway the paranoid state I get in when I spot another player outgunning me, is an experience unique to Dayz and it should stay that way.

• Like 3

Hmm, might have to give MineZ a try. MineCraft, DayZ, and Saints Row 3(going through a second time) are all I play these days.

I'm not sure if I want to even move this forum post, mainly because it's not exactly related to DayZ but in the same way it is. However I've yet to play MineZ as it is in closed beta, and a server modification mainly for Minecraft.

Some of the things you mention will never change, such as minez weapons being less threatening. Guns can never be less threatening, and Minez cannot make the game threatening with it's graphical style. Anyway the paranoid state I get in when I spot another player outgunning me, is an experience unique to Dayz and it should stay that way.

I think that limiting the amount of high powered weapons would certainly lower the immediate threat level. The amount of snipers, for instance.

That all sounds _horrible_. You're trying to make this mod into something that it is not. Please, if you do read this Rocket, just do the opposite of what OP said. Thanks.

I'm trying to suggest some changes that might lead to more player cooperation rather than "Lets play sniper" on a hill, with everyone killing everyone either on-sight or from 500m away with a 50 cal...In a "realistic" zombie apocalypse.

• Like 1

I think that limiting the amount of high powered weapons would certainly lower the immediate threat level. The amount of snipers, for instance.I'm trying to suggest some changes that might lead to more player cooperation rather than "Lets play sniper" on a hill, with everyone killing everyone either on-sight or from 500m away with a 50 cal...In a "realistic" zombie apocalypse.
...and your suggestions are horrible and would COMPLETELY change the mod into something else.You would remove ALL the points which make Day Z popular. You fail to realise that the game in its current buggy as hell state _still_ has so many people because they LOVE what Day Z is doing, and that is breaking the mold of hand holding, 'structured' games.Day Z is not Minecraft, and things that work in one DO NOT work in the other.

May I suggest going to play MineZ instead of trying to make DayZ into something its not?

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 5

There are several suggestion threads talking about removing certain weapons (high powered rifles for example), displaying nametags within close distance etc. Not sure if the same mechanics for a minecraft mod will work with a mod for a tactical mil-sim game.

I think that limiting the amount of high powered weapons would certainly lower the immediate threat level. The amount of snipers, for instance.

I'm trying to suggest some changes that might lead to more player cooperation rather than "Lets play sniper" on a hill, with everyone killing everyone either on-sight or from 500m away with a 50 cal...In a "realistic" zombie apocalypse.

Well, the PVP is what makes DayZ fun. And if there was a real zombie apocalypse I wouldn't trust anyone either. Would you really welcome anyone with open arms? That's crazy talk.

OP, you missed the friendly bandwagon. Back when Revolvers were starting weapons and there was no bandit transition system the majority of people were nice if you gave a hearty hello over direct. Then the mod got popular and tons of people poured in. Without having mechanics to force friendliness DayZ won't ever go back to what it used to be, it'll always be shoot first ask questions later, unless you don't care about living or dying. Lots of people = more PvP, once MineZ comes out and gets more and more popular the same trend will happen there as well.

• Like 2

So for those of you who don't know, MineZ is a mod for Minecraft that's trying to emulate DayZ. It's not trying to BE DayZ, it's simply taking the open-world, persistent survival apocalypse and translating it over to Minecraft. The mod is in "Beta", but it's very clearly still in technical Alpha. For those interested, head over to /r/MineZ

Who cares, though? DayZ already exists. What could we possibly learn from some cheap imitator? Well, turns out MineZ is doing a lot of things that DayZ could learn from, and I think could work really well towards improving player relations in the future.

MineZ has a very clear "Friendly" stance that is easy to see and duplicate without compromising offensive ability.

In MineZ, simply "blocking" with right click is usually a sign of a friendly. This happens instantly and doesn't take 1-3 seconds for an animation. If they're barreling towards you with no intention of stopping, it's not a friendly. This makes it pretty damn easy to read someone's intentions. You get a few tricksters, but overall, it's much easier to read than in DayZ.

DayZ has a few of these, but almost all of them require the player to "disarm", or at least drop their ability to aim/shoot for the moment. Waggling with Q and E is currently the best option, but even that can really risky at times.

DayZ also struggles with visibility. Half the time, you aren't even going to see the other person unless they're right in front of you, and if they're right in front of you, someone is almost always going to shoot first. It's sad, but true. Maybe with something quicker, and immediately recognizable with a simple press of a button, DayZ survivors wouldn't always have to shoot on sight in these scenarios. I'm thinking "Wave".

All this amounts to players who wish to interact in a manner someone else doesnt like, are punished for doing so. you lsoe the ability to hide, the ability to suprise, they are forced to stand, with a nametag over their head, and their intentions clear. This punishes a particular playstyle outright, while benifitting another. Day Z also doesnt suffer from a vision problem, its called camo and perseption, something minecraft lacks, and again, this outright punishes one play style while benifitting anouther. where in Day Z it benifits both parties equally (I.E its just as hard to be seen as is to see)

Grouping up has great benefits, while solo play isn't punished.

This is something DayZ struggles with, but MineZ gets a lot of it right on it's first try. In MineZ, zombies are a big threat. If you're taking on a group of 3-4 solo, you're in for a battle, and your little wooden sword will probably be gone by the end of it. I learned early on that grouping up with even one more person increases your chances of survival by a considerable amount. Other people know this too, so grouping up with other kindly survivors is pretty easy to accomplish.

Banditry is also rampant in MineZ, so having a buddy along with you really helps increase survival chances. I remember we were rolling with a big group, and I got attacked. I ran back to the group, they noticed I was getting attacked, and they zerg'd the bandit. It was hilarious to watch, and he ran away as fast as he could. It was great.

The only problem MineZ runs into with groups is finding enough food. In DayZ, this isn't really a problem, so I think that if DayZ had a more identifiable "friendly" stance and harder zombies, we might see a little more player cooperation.

It has been stated by Rocket in Multiple interview in the sticky thread, as well as otehr posts, that insentives for co-exsisting will be implementing, In fact, all the ideas Rocket has expressed far exceede everything MineZ attempts to add, so in effect MineZ could learn from Day z Here alot more then vice versa.

MineZ's weapons are naturally less threatening, promoting group play and easily identifying bandit intentions.

A lot of threads are popping up both around Reddit and on the DayZ forums promoting one idea: There's simply too many high-powered guns in the game. Right now, everyone and their mother has an assault rifle or sniper rifle, and if you don't, you probably have a high-powered sidearm. This makes relations with other players very uneasy, because if another player wants to kill you, they'll probably do it in one shot, without you seeing them.

This isn't the case in MineZ. The weapon with the most range is a bow and arrow, and you can clearly see if someone has one and is about to use it. Otherwise, bandits have to get up close and personal to dispense with you. You almost always have a chance to fight back, and bandits have to work for their kills.

DayZ has a lot to learn from MineZ in this respect. The rate of high-powered sniper rifles in DayZ is simply too damn high. In a zombie apocalypse, maybe ONE crazy individual is going to be perched somewhere with a DMR, picking off survivors. What you're NOT going to see is entire teams of ghillie-suited folks sitting on hills doing this. The resources wouldn't be that readily available in the real world, but in DayZ they are.

DayZ needs to tone down its high-powered military equipment, especially the long-range stuff. You can survive just as well with a Winchester and Makarov against Zeds as you would with a silenced M4 and G17. The military grade stuff seems to be there just to buff bandits, especially the sniper rifles. In MineZ, you'll be lucky to run across an Iron sword (The equivalent of an assault rifle), and it actually HELPS you against Zeds, not just players.

DayZ could learn from MineZ by severely increasing the rarity of military sniper rifles (CZ 550s and Lee Enfields becoming the norm for snipers), and decreasing the overall number of assault weapons. To help with the monotony, DayZ could add a few more low-tier weapons to its ranks, such as more melee and more "common household" firearms. I think this would help considerably to getting DayZ back to its roots, and feel more grounded without everyone running around with M4s and DMRs.

Lowering the threat of a weapon is a again, outright punishing oen style of play over the other. and an outright nerf to both style of play overall. In day z, fireing one of those top tier sniper rifles will draw every zombie within in the next 6 zip codes to you, gives away your position to anyone within ear shot. In addition by reducing the effectivness of weapons, it does not encourage co opertivie play, it outright punishes solo play. Currently in Day Z, a small squad can take otu a larger one, a single player can kill multiples with a good weapon. In minez its nigh impossible for a single person to take out even two people. Also the high powered weapons complained about can be used both ways. it benifits both playstyles.

Bandits are easily identifiable by unique player skins and easy-to-read nametags.

I had a very fun time last night forming a rivalry with another player on MineZ. His name was Loborabo or something similar, and whenever we saw each other, it was time for battle. We formed this rivalry because we could instantly recognize each other, identify the other as hostile, and engage in combat.

In MineZ, identifying a bandit after they've killed you is very easy. It does this in a number of ways. First, player skins are very identifiable from a distance, and almost everyone is unique. Unlike the samey kind of look that everyone has in Arma II, this gives the player the immediate ability to say "Oh! That's that guy! KILL HIM!". This also gives that bandit a reputation.

MineZ also has the classic " Player X MURDERED Player Y!", but only at close range. These are not global broadcasts, only within a certain radius, where in real life you might notice the dying screams or gunshots of a murder in progress. If you round a corner and all of a sudden see Player X, then you can be extra cautious (In case it was self defense).

Also, MineZ does have player tags, but it's damn near impossible to see these player tags at range. This makes it so you don't have the DayZ problem of "Oh I just saw a player tag 1000m that way, let's have a look-see through my sniper. Oop! There he is! *bang...*

These systems in MineZ made keeping track of known bandits very easy, and avoiding them even easier. With nametags only visible at short range, unique player skins that easily identify who someone is, and very clear "X Killed Y" messages around you, banditry is a much more challenging art in MineZ than it is in DayZ.

It also doesn't hurt that MineZ doesn't have sniper rifles. Just sayin'.

The skins in Day Z were removed because they inhibited a design feature (equiping skins) and in teh end, didnt really make a difference in player interaction. adding name tags is a terrible idea. with name tags a list will be made on the forums, names will be put on it, and they will be kill on sight. this again outright punishes a playstyle.

From my time with MineZ, it's a much more friendly and cooperative experience than DayZ. Yeah, you'll get some of those dicks that kill you for no reason, but more often than not, after exchanging a few crouches and wags of the sword, you'll get a buddy to help you through the apocalypse.

I think DayZ could really use to have a little more of that.

EDIT: Finally got it all formatted correctly.

Over all, every single thing you compared between teh game had one thign in common, it punished one playstyle while benifited another. Day Z, as said by rocket, will not judge you, it will not punish you for how you want to play. MineZ on the other hand does. MineZ is geared twords peaceful gameplay between humans, it takes every step short of disabling PvP to actually make it unviable. it ignores the players wish and imposes rulse and sanctions. if you want safty in Day Z you can group up and make a military and protect the land, if you want safty in minez, just play, because teh entire game is designed to cater to those players.

For 25 bucks the game doesnt offer any reason for me personally want to try it. it seems like someone wanted a zombie game, with little codeing required, and wanted it to be rainbow friendly.

there is nothing Day Z could learn IMO from MineZ while keeping its integrity, except of course, of what not to do.

• Like 2

I don't think you understand the point of the game at all. It's open for a reason, so you can do and be what ever type of player you want. You can't punish any side for doing what they like. If someone whats to be a bandit you can't punish them for it in anyway shape or form. Just becasue you choose to go down another path doesn't mean your path is the right... or for that matter wrong... way... Just like survivors shouldn't be given away by they type of clothes they have neither should bandits, and that goes across the board to any type of "this is how you tell who is who" mentality.

As far as your talk about the military weapons, your so wrong. If you used a silence weapon, thats a military gun... And everyone who had EVER killed another player knows you don't try it with a silenced weapon becasue the chances are you will fail miserably. But yet, you can use these military silence weapons to go into a town and clear it with the least amount of zombie aggros as possible, as well as lower the chances a bandit will hear you and come hunting for you. So the military weapons have bonuses for both sides.

For Surviors types they allow you more stealth. For the bandits it allows long range and safe murders. You never once see a badit complaining about all the "perks" survivors have to keep hidden from them, so why do the survivors keep throwing fits over any little benifit a bandit has. Not to mention when a bandit uses any of the powerful military guns, the sheer amount of aggro he pulls in (zombies) downplays any type of "Over Powered" effect that high end gun has.

As far as "tags" these arnt even turned on for most servers... for the exact reason you just said. But lets say hypothetically they are. Both sides have use of them. The bandit may see your tag, ut you can also see the bandits, there for allowing you to get your ass the hell out of dodge. So really what do you have left to complain about...

As a population in whole we HAVE to understand the goal Rocket has for DayZ, it's not for your enjoyment. It's for you to be terrified, frustrated, and pissed off. It's survival by any means you see fit. Deal with it.

...and your suggestions are horrible and would COMPLETELY change the mod into something else.You would remove ALL the points which make Day Z popular. You fail to realise that the game in its current buggy as hell state _still_ has so many people because they LOVE what Day Z is doing, and that is breaking the mold of hand holding, 'structured' games.Day Z is not Minecraft, and things that work in one DO NOT work in the other.

May I suggest going to play MineZ instead of trying to make DayZ into something its not?

How are my suggestions "horrible"? How does it change the game AT ALL from its current state?

- Add a "wave" animation with no delay.

- Make Zeds harder to take down solo.

- REDUCE, not REMOVE high-powered weapon counts. CZ 550 will still be there for all your sniping needs. This is as simple as removing military loot from Deerstands.

- Adding further player customization to allow for unique identification.

- Player nametags at close range for further identification.

I ask you again, how is this breaking DayZ? It's adding some personality to the characters, upping Zed difficulty, and rebalancing the weapon loot tables.

How is this ruining the game?

There are several suggestion threads talking about removing certain weapons (high powered rifles for example), displaying nametags within close distance etc. Not sure if the same mechanics for a minecraft mod will work with a mod for a tactical mil-sim game.

I never said remove high-power weapons. I said reduce their numbers.

Well, the PVP is what makes DayZ fun. And if there was a real zombie apocalypse I wouldn't trust anyone either. Would you really welcome anyone with open arms? That's crazy talk.

No, but I wouldn't shoot them either.

EDIT: And for the record, removing some high-powered weapons IS NOT PUNISHING BANDITRY. It's adding some fucking realism. You think everyone in a real Zed apocalypse will be toting military gear? Think again.

Edited by Time Glitch
  • Like 1

How are my suggestions "horrible"? How does it change the game AT ALL from its current state?- Add a "wave" animation with no delay.- Make Zeds harder to take down solo.- REDUCE, not REMOVE high-powered weapon counts. CZ 550 will still be there for all your sniping needs. This is as simple as removing military loot from Deerstands.- Adding further player customization to allow for unique identification.- Player nametags at close range for further identification.I ask you again, how is this breaking DayZ? It's adding some personality to the characters, upping Zed difficulty, and rebalancing the weapon loot tables.How is this ruining the game?I never said remove high-power weapons. I said reduce their numbers.No, but I wouldn't shoot them either.
Its ruining the game because you don't like PvP so you're implementing 'gamey' solutions to a non-problem. Its a problem for you because you're not good at using tactics, surveying your surroundings, and actually surviving. If you were you'd see PvP isnt a problem, and in fact adds a HUGE level of tension to the game - and you're trying to remove that.

No, please go away and stop playing Day Z.

Edit: The reason so many people have high powered weaponry is because of server hopping not because of unrealistic numbers. You're playing in a militarised zone, there is going to be weapons around. Think again.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 4

Its ruining the game because you don't like PvP so you're implementing 'gamey' solutions to a non-problem. Its a problem for you because you're not good at using tactics, surveying your surroundings, and actually surviving. If you were you'd see PvP isnt a problem, and in fact adds a HUGE level of tension to the game that you're trying to remove.

No, please go away and stop playing Day Z.

How about you stop ignoring what I'm saying in my posts and actually listen.

If the game had started with very little military loot, nobody would be complaining that there isn't enough military loot. The only reason you're complaining about a possible lack of it is because you're used the abundance, and like I said in my post, you can survive just as well against Zombies with a Winchester as you can with an M4 or even the insane thermal/nv guns. Hell, you can probably PvP with them just as well too.

What you're telling me is that everyone having a DMR or M24 or whatnot is all "part of the design", and it's all "part of the design" that almost every death in the game is attributed to some unseen sniper 500m away killing you for shits and giggles. If that were the case, this game would just be called "Sniper deathmatch with loot". But it's not. It's DayZ, and it's supposed to be a zombie apocalypse survival sim. In a harsh world where resources are limited, and simply FINDING a gun would be a godsend...Everyone running around with ghillie suits and sniper rifles is NOT something that would be happening.

• Like 1

How are my suggestions "horrible"? How does it change the game AT ALL from its current state?

Primarily the additions from MineZ punish one type of gameplay, which goes against a primary foundation of Day Z, that being the game will never judge you.

- Add a "wave" animation with no delay.

No problem with this.

- Make Zeds harder to take down solo.

One shot to the head is a staple in any infected scenario, In adition they are infected not zombies, typical Infected rules mean a Infected needs its body, in 28 days/weeks (of which rocket takes insipration from) they can starve to death, and eb killed with body shots. Removing this remove the Authentic feel to the game, and makes it arcady.

- REDUCE, not REMOVE high-powered weapon counts. CZ 550 will still be there for all your sniping needs. This is as simple as removing military loot from Deerstands.

Makign military rifles spawn only in military areas seems like an ok idea, but it has a massive drawback, if the high weapons spawn in one area, that area will be camped by high weapons that noone else will have, this ti s a toxic situation.

- Adding further player customization to allow for unique identification.

The reason bandit skins were removed was so lootable skins could be obtained, This feature is already planned.

- Player nametags at close range for further identification.

Do you have player tags in real life? this would absolutly punish people, you couldnt hide for safty or ambush, and its extreamly immersion breaking.

I ask you again, how is this breaking DayZ? It's adding some personality to the characters, upping Zed difficulty, and rebalancing the weapon loot tables.

How is this ruining the game?

I never said remove high-power weapons. I said reduce their numbers.

No, but I wouldn't shoot them either.

EDIT: And for the record, removing some high-powered weapons IS NOT PUNISHING BANDITRY. It's adding some fucking realism. You think everyone in a real Zed apocalypse will be toting military gear? Think again.

The problem is the area is surrounded by military bases, and personal, ASWELL as teh fact military units were deployed in the towns during the inital out break easily, and realiticly (and authentically) explain their presence.

added responses in red

Its also worth adding again, rocket has already stated ideas to make co-exsisting more attrative, such as player traits that they gain over time (but not between lives) meaning groups offer better survivability, fortifacations being explored to make settling a mroe reliable idea. Please read the threat with all of rockets interviews and qoutes about the design of this game, you will see these problems are being worked on, its just being done without punishing playstyles, as i pointed out, alot of Minez's philosophy does.

Edited by opticalshadow

How about you stop ignoring what I'm saying in my posts and actually listen.

If the game had started with very little military loot, nobody would be complaining that there isn't enough military loot. The only reason you're complaining about a possible lack of it is because you're used the abundance, and like I said in my post, you can survive just as well against Zombies with a Winchester as you can with an M4 or even the insane thermal/nv guns. Hell, you can probably PvP with them just as well too.

What you're telling me is that everyone having a DMR or M24 or whatnot is all "part of the design", and it's all "part of the design" that almost every death in the game is attributed to some unseen sniper 500m away killing you for shits and giggles. If that were the case, this game would just be called "Sniper deathmatch with loot". But it's not. It's DayZ, and it's supposed to be a zombie apocalypse survival sim. In a harsh world where resources are limited, and simply FINDING a gun would be a godsend...Everyone running around with ghillie suits and sniper rifles is NOT something that would be happening.

How about you listen. I'm no complaining at all. I'm telling you the reason there is an abundance of gear is because of SERVER HOPPING and DUPING not because there is too many guns around.

The reason you are being killed by an 'unseen sniper' is because YOU ARE BAD AT THIS GAME. Don't run out into the open, its really not that hard. Sit in place and LOOK AROUND YOU for 5-10 minutes before full sprinting across a field.

I'm sorry but EVERYTHING you say points to you not being able to handle the harshness of Day Z, which is why you shouldn't play.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 1

added responses in red

Player tags are something gamey, but the represent something in our heads, called names.

Friendly people tell each other their names. Unfriendly people are still identified in our heads as "That dick at work" or "That asshole who always parks too close to me". Nametags are there IRL, they're just invisible.

Perhaps you're right. If there was advanced player customization already in place (Different clothes/face/build) then maybe that would be enough to identify people on alone, and we can make up our own names for our enemies.

How about you listen. I'm no complaining at all. I'm telling you the reason there is an abundance of gear is because of SERVER HOPPING and DUPING not because there is too many guns around.

The reason you are being killed by an 'unseen sniper' is because YOU ARE BAD AT THIS GAME. Don't run out into the open, its really not that hard. Sit in place and LOOK AROUND YOU for 5-10 minutes before full sprinting across a field.

I'm sorry but EVERYTHING you say points to you not being able to handle the harshness of Day Z, which is why you shouldn't play.

Then the game needs to fix server hopping and duping as well. Whatever the cause, reduction is NEEDED, and one way I can think of doing that is rebalancing the damn loot tables. Personally, I have never server hopped, or duped, and I still find a zillion military weapons. So that's where I'm coming from.

The reason I get killed from an unseen sniper is because I scout out an area, and proceed to go in. Then, while I'm down in the town or whatnot, someone happens to come along, and without any way for me to know, lines up a shot and kills me. There's no way to protect yourself in that kind of a situation. I DO scout areas. I have stayed alive for DAYS. I know what I'm doing, but that doesn't stop the random sniping when there is no possible way to know where the enemy is.

Edited by Time Glitch

No, everyone wont have military hardware, but there will be a bunch of it out there in a "Real World" scenario. As frustrating as it is being sniped without being seen, that is what alot of people like about this game. This is Rockets vision, and as evident by the popularity of the game, it is something that 100's of thousands of people like also.This isn't meant in a bad way, seems like you prefer the play style of mineZ, so play that, and those of us that like this play style will play DayZ.Having name tags period is a bad idea, like someone said, soon as they're visible, a known PK will not stand a chance in the game, his name will be plastered all over the forums. Now, if you are able to change your name , like you can now, that isn't that bad I guess.

As long as I can change my name like I can now, the name tags are not that bad, that way I can get a good "murder" count, change name to avoid being known to everyone and continue to kill people on site.

Edited by AADiC

If you take away any more realism in this game...so help it.

If you like MineZ so much then why arent you playing it instead of tooting this horn on the forums. If these things were added to this game I probably wouldn't like it as much. The unknowning is the best feature in this game.