C0ttonhead

Zombies are OP ATM

I just was running away from zombies, which i was hit SIX TIMES while running full speed. Killed all those fuckers then I PRONED PAST AND AGROED ZOMBIES FROM 75+ METERS. HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO SURVIVE

Watched a few streams tonight and that NEVER happened, you are doing something wrong.

• Like 1

Yes, yes, and yes with caution as always. Today's trials with sneaking around during the day resulted in the same results. Inconsistant aggros and not being able to lose them despite running around buildings full speed nor crouch run. In fact, they were right on my heels when I'm running around a building full speed now. No way for me to lose them that way.

Again, must be a you/server thing. Watched people elude zeds, run into bldg., turn and kill them (as always), never saw anyone get hit by a zed running away.

they do see you from far away, but they're easy to lose

I feel like I SHOULDN'T have to exploit an AI glitch (walking only in buildings) to lose zombies ALL THE TIME. The exponent system is interesting, but you guys need to put a max cap on it, because somehow I think these zombies are all Six Million Ruble Men...they've already been able to book it like a Kenyan national Olympic runner, now they can see better than me (I've been aggroed during a midnight rainstorm and I couldn't even see it until it started hitting me), and also rip me to pieces with their bare hands.

I preferred 1.7.1.5, to the point of wanting to revert. You guys needed the frame rate fix, but I would have preferred SO many things to this experiment. Where are those helicopters we're all waiting for?

I feel like I SHOULDN'T have to exploit an AI glitch (walking only in buildings) to lose zombies ALL THE TIME. The exponent system is interesting, but you guys need to put a max cap on it, because somehow I think these zombies are all Six Million Ruble Men...they've already been able to book it like a Kenyan national Olympic runner, now they can see better than me (I've been aggroed during a midnight rainstorm and I couldn't even see it until it started hitting me), and also rip me to pieces with their bare hands.

I preferred 1.7.1.5, to the point of wanting to revert. You guys needed the frame rate fix, but I would have preferred SO many things to this experiment. Where are those helicopters we're all waiting for?

Currently the game isn't rewarding intelligent play and planned entry into towns. Granted not every attempt you make should succeed because it's planned out, but right now you aren't being rewarded whatsoever for playing like a smart survivor. Zombies walk through walls and aggro, they spot from insane ranges and aggro, pretty much makes it unplayable for players without gear. Couple that with the mechanical bugs and unstable zombie movements and you have a very buggy and disappointing time trying to accomplish anything.

Not saying that it is balanced, because I've not put enough time into the new patch yet...

...but EVERY SINGLE PATCH SO FAR, THERE'S BEEN POSTS JUST LIKE THIS MADE, and it always turns out that the poster simply hadn't yet learned to adjust to the new rules... Perhaps you need to start paying a lot more attention to the direction that Z's are facing, instead of just your stance and distance from them? Perhaps with your intelligent planning focussed slightly differently, you'll learn how to sneak by the new rules?

[edit]Ok, played a bit of the new patch, and this is just a QQ "i dun wanna lern too play" thread.

Yes they can see you from far away now, even if lying down you've got a small chance of being spotted -- but only inside a zombies FOV. Be smart and watch what direction they're going in, and you can still sneak.

Also, if you get spotted at long range, you can easily relocate and re-stealth by the time they get to the position where they spotted you, and they just end up standing there looking lost. It's much easier to lose Zombies now.

Edited by ActionMan

Pff tombies too hard imo. But a lot players are just like hard boys and say get out if you are too nooby to handle new zombies. Not cool

*sniff sniff* do you smell that? I think there's a noob nearby..

I honestly hope your joking. If anything zombies need to be buffed hardcore. They are hardly even a threat atm. It is the #1 reason griefing is so completely out of control at the moment. If anything they need to increase the zed population by about 1000%.

Seems to be 2 completely different viewpoints here. So is this down to new/experienced, or geared up/not geared, some server/client issue, or just a random glitch?

I've been playing for about a week or so, learning more each time I play. Started off like everyone, couldn't find weapons and kit, died a lot, but you get used to it and learn how and where to find weapons and how to sneak about the zombies. Yesterday, that all changed. I learned pretty quickly the zeds were easier to aggro, so I moved even slower, and spent a lot more time shuffling about on ground (where previously i may have only crouched) than ever before. I took notice of the new 'visibility' stat in the debug box too. That all seems fine to me, but there are occasions where it felt like it wasn't working correctly.

Some things I noticed were that your visibility would change from about 12 to 55 from moving an inch (in some locations) where there really shouldn't have been any difference. I also noted that on one occasion I was spotted by a zed that was about 60 meters away, who ran past two other zeds to get to me. At the time I was laying on the ground, not moving, and the visibility in the debug box showed 1.5.

So while I agree, that the AI tweaks for the zeds 'brings up the level' of the gameplay so that you have to be more cautious and careful (be far more aware of whats going on around you than before), I would also say that there is still problem with it in some situations, and it probably still needs tweaking to get it 100%. I don't know what could be causing it (I have no knowledge of these things) but I'm sure Rocket knows all this though, and it'll be tweaked with hotfixes as time goes on. It's how he's worked in the past and he'll do it again. He puts it out there pretty raw, then tweaks to get it right. It's what alpha is all about.

Edited by MaryLou

Again, must be a you/server thing. Watched people elude zeds, run into bldg., turn and kill them (as always), never saw anyone get hit by a zed running away.

I haven't gotten hit by a zombie while running, but the pint remains that they're a bit ridiculous to shake. Running around a building is insufficient. You must go inside them, or get them stuck on things in order to create distance. Thus it feels like the only ways to shake them are to exploit their poor pathing AI or kill them.

This is bad because this supports not having to sneak. Why sneak if you're going to randomly get caught, when you can attract all of them, and get them stuck in walk mode where you can pick them off easily? Saves time AND bumps up your zombie kill count.

Edited by StickyNote

Yes, yes, and yes with caution as always. Today's trials with sneaking around during the day resulted in the same results. Inconsistant aggros and not being able to lose them despite running around buildings full speed nor crouch run. In fact, they were right on my heels when I'm running around a building full speed now. No way for me to lose them that way.

I'd love to watch you play then.

Zombies are easier now than they were before the patch. I can lose whole hordes of them in wooded areas or by running around the towns. I can run, not sprint, and never get touched by them. If I get tired of hearing them moan and scream I can turn around and put a single bullet into each of them. I can run out in the open near a town without drawing more than one or two and they're easy to lose.

I just can't imagine what you're doing wrong. Are you actually sprinting or just running? What guns are you using if any? You know you can use the hatchet as a weapon right? One hit kills on zeds. Did you install the dayz mod update AND the arma2 beta patch? Are you LOOKING at the zombies and where they're going before approaching?

I seriously can't figure out what I'm doing right and what you're doing wrong. Seriously, let me see you play. Roll Fraps if you can. If not, pm me and we'll try to coordinate.

Also, any chance you're using a not-so-legit copy of the game?

I like the angry hordes. They were blind pussies before.. now they are to be feared as they should be.

People need to change their strategy.. adapt or die. I ventured all over Cherno and only aggroed 2 zeds who both feel to my axe, i simply had to be very careful where i went, changing my routed depending on the zeds and crawl a lot more.

Before you could crouch walk right in front of a zed 15m away and they just ignore you.... much better now.. Feel the fear.

Like some of us have said, you can lose zombies by running around a corner or two. It's very easy to lose them in the big cities and this isn't an exploit of their pathing. This has to do with their newly acquired eyeballs. You can no longer walk through a horde of zombies. You guys must be doing something seriously wrong if you can't shake a zombie.

Seems to be 2 completely different viewpoints here. So is this down to new/experienced, or geared up/not geared, some server/client issue, or just a random glitch?

I've been playing for about a week or so, learning more each time I play. Started off like everyone, couldn't find weapons and kit, died a lot, but you get used to it and learn how and where to find weapons and how to sneak about the zombies. Yesterday, that all changed. I learned pretty quickly the zeds were easier to aggro, so I moved even slower, and spent a lot more time shuffling about on ground (where previously i may have only crouched) than ever before. I took notice of the new 'visibility' stat in the debug box too. That all seems fine to me, but there are occasions where it felt like it wasn't working correctly.

Some things I noticed were that your visibility would change from about 12 to 55 from moving an inch (in some locations) where there really shouldn't have been any difference. I also noted that on one occasion I was spotted by a zed that was about 60 meters away, who ran past two other zeds to get to me. At the time I was laying on the ground, not moving, and the visibility in the debug box showed 1.5.

So while I agree, that the AI tweaks for the zeds 'brings up the level' of the gameplay so that you have to be more cautious and careful (be far more aware of whats going on around you than before), I would also say that there is still problem with it in some situations, and it probably still needs tweaking to get it 100%. I don't know what could be causing it (I have no knowledge of these things) but I'm sure Rocket knows all this though, and it'll be tweaked with hotfixes as time goes on. It's how he's worked in the past and he'll do it again. He puts it out there pretty raw, then tweaks to get it right. It's what alpha is all about.

Visibility only comes into play when a zombie is looking in your direction. You can have a visibility of 60 and run right by a zombie as long as he's not looking at you.

It's either their client or they're a week behind me in gameplay time. I'm still new but I had no problem adjusting to the zombies new vision and have no problem putting down zombies with a hatchet in an open field. I'm anything but geared. I spent most of the night running around with a hatchet praying for a handgun. I ran through multiple towns to meet up with people and never got hit by a single zombie. I had a winchester earlier in the day, put three bullets into a player, ran around a house, cutting the corners tight, took several turns and lost all aggro. I then looted the body. Easier than ever.

My point is, it's not gear but it does have a little to do with skill, patience, awareness, and a little bit of experience. People are whining about the aggro now but just a week ago every zombie in a town would magically hear you just because you accidentally ran inside a building. now, they don't do that. Now, they lose interest if they can't find you. Easier.

People just need to pay attention to the zeds new behavior and everything will be fine.

Here's another question for everyone having trouble, WHERE are you playing? What cities, towns, areas are you running around when this happens?

My point is, it's not gear but it does have a little to do with skill, patience, awareness, and a little bit of experience. People are whining about the aggro now but just a week ago every zombie in a town would magically hear you just because you accidentally ran inside a building. now, they don't do that. Now, they lose interest if they can't find you. Easier.

Oh I absolutely agree, but there are still occasions where zeds are aggroed (with the new patch) where I find it hard to believe that it's an intentional part of the game. Not everyone appears to have had the same experience though (new players and experienced alike) so I'm guessing there is a glitch in there somewhere, but it's early days for 7.2, these things will get sorted.

Cant add to this sorry, the new visibility lets zombies aggro you when you stand up from 50m+, yes, but i think thats reasonable

yesterday i played for 5+ hours and didnt aggro any zombie unwanted, only 1 or 2 appeared out of nowhere directly behind me

remember, even if your noise is reduced when inside buildings, when running you still make a HELL lot of sound, which then aggroes zombies around the building

also i never had a zombie hitting me while runing, do you have fps r connecton issues? a buddy of mine had the same problem because he was ported back every 2 secs about 2 meters and zombies could hit him

Check out this guy testing 1.7.2

Just watch the 1st 10 mins

Edited by bogroll
  • Like 2

I'd love to watch you play then.

Zombies are easier now than they were before the patch. I can lose whole hordes of them in wooded areas or by running around the towns. I can run, not sprint, and never get touched by them. If I get tired of hearing them moan and scream I can turn around and put a single bullet into each of them. I can run out in the open near a town without drawing more than one or two and they're easy to lose.

I just can't imagine what you're doing wrong. Are you actually sprinting or just running? What guns are you using if any? You know you can use the hatchet as a weapon right? One hit kills on zeds. Did you install the dayz mod update AND the arma2 beta patch? Are you LOOKING at the zombies and where they're going before approaching?

I seriously can't figure out what I'm doing right and what you're doing wrong. Seriously, let me see you play. Roll Fraps if you can. If not, pm me and we'll try to coordinate.

Also, any chance you're using a not-so-legit copy of the game?

Legit copy, updated, etc. The video posted earlier highlights some of the problems. Obtaining aggro from quite a distance, getting aggro while crawling with no sound and the zombie facing the other way. With those 10 feet walls I can lose them sometimes if i round enough corners, but I usually stay away from the cities, so what I work with is fences and small buildings where they can constantly keep a visual of you on.

Also notice how he has to lose one by bugging it out having it phase through a fence, or lure them into buildings.

I almost never fire my weapons unless it's out in the countryside. I only use the hatchet when I have no better weapons. I'm fully aware of how useful the hatchet is but I have an m16 with silenced mags.

All part of the realism, zombies obviously should run 5x faster then you and have the no clipping ability.

I don't get how I manage to X my way past a load of zombies in the warehouse between Kamehka and Balota without being spotted by the handful of zombies I crossed within only a few meters, while a single zombie started chasing me from more than 100 meters away on a hill outside Cherno, simply because I was running in a normal fashion and wasn't ducked. I'm all for stronger and more challenging zombies but the difference really shouldn't be THAT significant.

This doesn't work for me during the day unless i'm running THROUGH the barn. Due to their insane running speeds, they can keep up with me running around a barn when I crouchrun, and if I stand up and run, they'll hear me through the walls.

Unless at night, this method is no bueno

I had a zed chasing me, I just ran through the trees and lost it. Just full sprint through the forest; the zed will stop running every time it loses LoS. Yea it'll hear you and chase again but each time it loses LOS you'll gain distance while it stops for a second and then re-acquires you based on sound. Eventually you'll just lose it completely, it took me maybe 10 seconds.

Edit: Haven't tried enough 1.7.2 to know if aggro is fucked though.

Edited by SeptusCap

Imo zombies aren't strong enough and at the same time are way too strong... hear me out.

They are easily killed with one hit to the core by most weapons. I'm under the impression that these are people infected with some kind of 'rage virus'. I want to see the zombies be like berserkers on PCP, take a load of shots from pistols/small caliber rifles to kill them (barring headshots).

On the other hand, they move stupidly fast. But I understand this is due to the limitations of the current AI and pathing problems, so it was the only way for them to be able to keep up with players.

Zombies still are not a major threat. Yet I enjoy how if someone is not careful while player-hunting, the consequences of alerting a gigantic horde can be devastating.

It's a combination of experience level and bugs. Experienced players know that the infected are not to be trusted under any circumstances because of bugs (they were far buggier in the past). But to be fair to the infected, the bugs are really the only advantage they have. 1.7.2 seems to have introduced a few more bugs than the previous version, and DayZ has become a little more interesting as a result.