CreatureJoe

Graphics Card

Hi, I'm looking for a new graphics card that can run arma 2 with a good fps. My price range is around 150 dollars. Any suggestions?

O_o for that price range, I'd be looking on Ebay

Look for a 460 / 560

There is in Australia some stored where you can get something like this :

PALIT GTX560 SMART EDITION 1GB GDDR5 DVI / HDMI / D-Sub Core 736Mhz NE5X56E0HD09-1143

Price $ 149

At maximum settings you won't be getting "good" FPS, but at medium you should be ok with something like that.

O_o for that price range' date=' I'd be looking on Ebay

Look for a 460 / 560

There is in Australia some stored where you can get something like this :

PALIT GTX560 SMART EDITION 1GB GDDR5 DVI / HDMI / D-Sub Core 736Mhz NE5X56E0HD09-1143

Price $ 149

At maximum settings you won't be getting "good" FPS, but at medium you should be ok with something like that.

[/quote']

Is that what you are currently using to play DayZ?

No i am currently using a 580GTX - but they are about $500 up to $700 for OC models etc. Far an above the $150 range I'm afraid :)

To get good frames in Arma 2, Is it better to have a great graphics card? Or a good processor?

(Sorry about my n00b question)

I've heard mixed information here, I have seen it said that Arma II on "LOW" settings tends to use more of your CPU, but once you go "MEDIUM" or "HIGH" then it moves to the graphics card (you want this).

If I was buying hardware specifically to run this game, I would be looking at quad core processor minimum and a GTX560 or it's ATI equivelent.

I would assume that you want the graphics to be decent if your going to buy a new card, so in your case (running the game at medium - high settings then the graphics card is more important.

But of course you won't be running it on an old dual core or anything (if someone does correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm running it on a duel core. And all of the setting are on the very lowest, and my frames are about 30 a second but the game tends to freeze up when I'm moving fast or sprinting. A new card will fix my issues right?

A new card would certainly help, up the settings to medium so the load is mainly on your graphics card.

I don't want to say "Yes absolutely this will make the game run really well" - because in all honesty I simply don't know for sure.

Going off the minimum / recommended requirements, then it "should" have no problems running the game with a decent card.

This is assuming your dual core is something in the 2.6 - 3.4Ghz range.

And that you have at least 2Gb if not 4Gb of RAM.

Edit: damn i totaly missed you want to spend just 150$ ..

I would recommend a radeon 6870 then or a used 560gtx if its possible.

Hello, I just got the game as well with this mod installed. It looks like I will also need a new video card. I probably have a 300 dollar price range so I'm hoping I will be able to get something good enough to play. My current spec is:

Intel® Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.30 GHz

Nvidia GEFORCE GT 610 (2GB DDR3 Memory) <--$66.99

8.00 GB RAM

Windows 7

Any suggestions on which card to pick up? Thanks

I'm running it on nVidia GeForce 9400 GT, pretty good FPS considering the low graphics. I'll update to the latest driver today and see if it helps.

You could get away with an HD 5770 easily. That's what I'm using, running on mostly high with smooth FPS, game never gets choppy for me beyond the initial load and/or server lag.

I'll tell you now though, my friend that lives with me is using a Pentium 4 with an AGP 4xxx series card, and 1 GB of RAM, and he can play on lowest settings(absolute lowest), though not smoothly(playable though). The suggestion that when you turn it up it takes more stress off the CPU I believe is clearly incorrect, and I have messed around with this on enough computers to know. It puts more stress on both, the higher you go, like any logical person would conclude.

I haven't long ago bought 2 GTX 550 TI each costing me £100 not sure what the conversion would be in dollars but id be guessing around $200

im currently just using the one and hitting pretty good frame rates

could be worth checking out the price yourself

I have a Nvidia GTX 560 and with the new FPS improvements I get 60FPS in most areas. It's not the most powerful but it definitely gets the job done and isn't super expensive I believe.

I am using a Gigabyte 460GTX SE and I have no problems what-so-ever running this game, However my CPU does bottleneck my computer considerably (AMD Phenom X4 9750 2.6GHZ) however I run BF3 max settings @ 1680 x 1050. I purchased my 460GTX last Christmas @ 120 (GBP) so I am sure you can probably find it cheap somewhere. :)

I use Geforce 275GTX and it really works fine on high settings too and I run it on 1980 resolution. I must say I havn't checked my FPS but I find it rather smooth. The thing is if you compare the Geforce 560GTX and the 275GTX, the 275GTX is better on some things and 560GTX is better on some. Check this one out, I don't know if I missed something but it doesn't look that Geforce 560 GTX have much more power then 275 GTX.

http://www.hwcompare.com/11037/geforce-gtx-275-vs-geforce-gtx-560/

Get a job and buy a proper card.

You're grumpy tonight.

cpu makes a ton of a difference but this game doesn't really use 4 cores :/

i got a phenom II x4 at 4GHz and 6970 = 60fps

friend has 2500k @ 4.7GHz and 460 = 80fps

everything max w/ post processing, aa, shadows disabled

I'm using a Pentium® Duel-Core CPU E5400 @2.70Hz.

So whats the best card to make this game playable that is under 150$.

Thanks