Denuth

1.7.2 Opinion thread. All your opinions, good and bad, go here.

Just logged in to find my character has somehow contracted a flu or whatever even though my tempeture never once dropped below 42 degrees while playing today.

There is a slight chance, anytime an infected successfully attacks you, of picking up the "cough". Other ways of contracting it include body temperature too low and proximity to a "coughing" player.

Reading this thread just gets better and better, the amount of crying here is priceless.

After 2-3 days of playing this is what I have noticed:

- Zombies actually see with their eyes now, somewhat as they should.

- Less leg breaking

- More bleeding

- Loot seems to be about the same.

1. Step your game up, quit bitching.

2. Learn to read the server information/title, I haven't experienced this problem once.

3. Don't get attached to your gear, as it won't get attached to you.

1. There's always a chance they can, if they're looking in your general direction.

2. If they see you, why wouldn't they run after you?

3. Zombies are hard?

You're doing something wrong, the trick now is to avoid their eyesight, you can't just prone anymore and expect them not to see you laying/crawling across flat land.

You're doing something wrong. You are "crying" just as much as the guy you quoted. You are being a judgemental dick. Your opinion of how other people should play is not an absolute. The world would benefit from you not being an ass just because you think so highly of your alpha mod "skills" that you can look down on the way other people enjoy the game.

Now, here's my opinion of the GAME.

I feel the changes that came through in 1.7.2.3 were a step farther in the wrong direction. Now zombies are easy to lose AND easy to avoid. There are 0 consequences to firing a pistol in the middle of town. I feel that is wrong. I also feel like loot got stepped up and I'm finding higher tier weapons more often, but that just may be because I know where to look for them. Anyone else confirm? I find way more DMR and 1911 mags (while M14 and colt equipped) on Z corpses than I am finding tin cans. That's not right. I'm sure it has to do with the desire to increase player interaction with the Z's, making the gun and ammo requirement higher. So it make sense to have ammo (specifically for your equipped weapons) dropping on Z corpses. But that is moving this game into an entirely different genre from what it was in 1.7.1.5.

I got shot last night by a player after contacting them over direct chat. I lost a lot of great gear, but I'm like, meh, it will be easy to get again. Nor did the excitement peak when I saw them. I guess the magic of this game got broken for me now that I've seen that aggroing zombies and finding loot are easy. Zombies are dispatchable, so I am not bothered to really work to avoid them. It's just that the stakes are so low and I'm no longer attached to my gear or life.

But I'm not saying make the zombie aggro even higher to add difficulty. I'm saying make aggro somewhat clear to avoid, but when you get it, you can't shake it. Make weapons (and bandages and morphine sticks) spawn less. Zombie avoidance is what makes this game unique. Every other FPS game in this entire world makes engaging the enemies its entire goal. This game did not, and now it does. And since the Z's are just modded civilians, the game is going to have limitations in the interactions with players because the foundation is not there. So use that to your advantage and make aggro hard (glitchy is forgivable when you know you screwed up and its your fault super Z beasts are storming down on you).

What I have noticed now is the barrier to entry is super high. Until you get that first weapon, expect to be sliding around the whole town on your belly. I hope new players discover this fast. If you are on a veteran server, get used to looking at the world through a face of weeds. I would argue that is NOT fun, nor is it going to increase your new user base.

I went back and played 1.7.1.5 before the beta patch came out, and I would agree that is was too easy, but for some reason it was so much more fun. A large part, for me, was the way Z's spawn. It has gotten better than 1.7.2.3 but I can still run up on towns and see that Z's have appeared where there weren't any. I've had Z's spawn less than 10m from me. Fix that and the "random" and "too hard" comments will drop away. Because people really are enjoying avoiding Z's. But you can't avoid something that pops into place behind your back. And when that happens, its frustration, not fun. If I know it was my fault (like in 1.7.1.5) aggro is not annoying or frustrating, its my fault. Understand this is a game and the point is fun.

• Like 2

so far i don't have much/any complaints, however i've primarily played on servers in which its night or dusk so that skews my experience. playing at night has a HUGE incentive now though, due to the more visual nature of zombie aggro and the decreased distance at which they can see at night. when i have played during the day time it hasn't been horrible or impossible, and most of the time its the glitches (unless this was ended in the arma 2 engine) like falling one story and breaking a leg and going into shock trying to ditch zombies that's ended me.

zombies dont agro from 200 meters away 50 at most while crouch running calm the fuck down if you dont like zombies dont playh a fucking zombie game. yes they agro more i killed more zombies today then the last 2 weeks of playing so what its how it should be if you cant lose a zombie chasing you well then this game is not for you. you should be able to have to fight for your precious can of beans yes its frustrating shooting your gun and having 10 zombies run at you. so use your secondary like your supposed to and if you fire your main in town then you deserve to die

Prone in town with no bars on my sight meter. I'm approaching a house that isn't in the main square of the village. One zombie is about 100-150 or so meters away and he aggros to me the second I touch the steps to the house. This has happened multiple times at varying ranges and happened between 0-2 bars on either sight or sound. I generally can't enter towns at any point during the day due to at least one zed auto-aggroing to my character. I've tried at night being prone and during the day and it doesn't seem to matter. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

Other than that the game is running much smoother, I just can't seem to go anywhere where there is loot because of the auto-aggro zed.

I am fairly a new player but I do have some opinions about certain aspects of the mod.

First of all, my biggest annoyance of the mod lies within the nature of the zombies (speed, intelligence).

I believe adding a server side setting to allow the modification of the speed multiplier of the zombies,

so if some servers insist that they would rather have traditional zombies instead of the hyper ones,

that choice can be made. Also, to change the LOS of the zombies to be much more limited, would be convienient.

My next suggestion would be to change the way broken bones affect your body. Instead of forcing one prone,

maybe force them crouched. The next issue I have is pretty obvious. Some certain items should be able to be used

as a multi-purpose tool. The flashlight could be used to bash, the combat knife could slash, the flare type items could be used to attract zombies to the area where it is deployed, to distract them while you loot or what not.

Sorry typing on a smart phone at work 4 am in the morning is not working out that great. I'm home now so as I was saying.

Not zombies in the classical sense then I suppose. But if they are not dead, or at least brain/soul dead then are you suggesting that they can be cured? Regardless, if they are not smart enough to drive cars and hold jobs then they are not going to be smart enough to distinguish you from another zombie at great distances. If anything smell would be the key factor in triggering the uncontrollable desire to eat you. They won't be attacking you with the desire to spread the infection, it will be out of hunger.

Secondly, look at the way the walk and act. Not the sighs of a higher intelligence I think most would agree. I mean some of these zombies are wobbling to and fro pretty much staring at the sky and you expect anyone to believe that they are cunning eagle eye predictors like a falcon or a jaguar that will spot a survivor at crouched in the tall grass at 50m. The zed look and act more like someone who has been smoking weed all weekend long and those folks usually aren't too observant. Look that the way apex predictors act and then look at these zeds. There is no comparison. Besides would an apex predator run around making all the god awful noise the zombies do if they were really trying hard to catch something to eat. They are basically brain dead eating machines that are going to be triggered by pretty much one thing and once again that is smell.

Why are they not just eating one another then? Probably because they smell like shit. A few days in the woods and we'll all smell like shit. Then the zeds will really have a hard time picking out who's dinner and who's not. If you want to talk about realism, the zeds have no compelling reason not to eat one another. Its not like they are going to catch the infection again and you already said that they were not dead so what does that leave us? I mean its not like once we are all dead the zeds are going to start a united nation of zeds all holding hands and singing Kumbaya. If we all smell like shit after a few days, then its going to boil down to pheromones or body heat the ladder being extremely hard to sense if one is not equip to sense in the first place and even snakes can only sense temperature differences from short distances.

We are never going to get 100% accurate realism because lets face it there has never really been a zombie apocalypse. I think the triggering radius need to be toned down a bit. The other main reason is that it puts newly spawned players at a even greater disadvantage to bandits that have all the toys and don't even really need to go into town for anything. A new player used to be able to sneak into a town without a huge learning curve and get what they need to get started if there isn't a bandit sniping everyone in Cherno right after they spawn laughing to themselves hysterically because they are mean sadistic bastards who aren't even after loot just like killing defenseless newcomers . Now it will be even easier for the bandits when they see zombies agro'ing left and right and lightly to unarmed new spawns running like a little school girl screaming in terror at a whole town of zeds chasing them around.

I did think there would be a rage 28 days later comment at some point. But I dont understand why dayz zeds struggle to walk or crawl, then suddenly can run and hit faster than an average to strong human.

The force required to break a human leg is immence. Especially the femur. So lets go on the theory that when the player suffers such an accident, its the shin bone. Now its a sturdy bone, for something as strong as a healthy human to break it with force it would require some weight behind it, or leverage, or both. Look at football leg breaks, normally the tackling player is off his feet, all his weight behind him and with momentum going into a player, who has his feet stuck in the ground through studded boots. This simply isnt the case in dayz, we have zeds that can barely walk, but then run faster than humans and can break legs with no momentum or leverage. If the zed stuck me on the ground and put me in a grapple breaking my ankle fine, but it doesnt, it swings at my head and breaks my leg with minimal force.

I do also in this theme take issue with the incredible amount of bleeding a zed can cause, someone should tell mma fighters that open hand strikes with no weight behind them can cause a human to lose an eighth of their blood. Because from what I have seen in boxing/mma, is that the hardest hitters in the world seem to cause wounds that clot with a little fuss, not a full trauma bandage. I think there should be a pain level for zeds, and once you are down they feed and make you bleed.

zombies dont agro from 200 meters away 50 at most while crouch running calm the fuck down if you dont like zombies dont playh a fucking zombie game. yes they agro more i killed more zombies today then the last 2 weeks of playing so what its how it should be if you cant lose a zombie chasing you well then this game is not for you. you should be able to have to fight for your precious can of beans yes its frustrating shooting your gun and having 10 zombies run at you. so use your secondary like your supposed to and if you fire your main in town then you deserve to die

One could say you need a game without zombies. The arguments I have seen in this thread against zeds alerness has been one of realism more than difficulty. For example, if I fire a weapon 100m from a zed, a walking dead body (I refuse to believe these are rage infected due to walking), and it cannot see me, I do not expect it to suddenly zero in on my position like a heat seeking missle. Some healthy humans struggle to point out direction of gun fire, sounds short and loud such as that bounce off things and can be hard to point out, just watch any combat footage of such a situation. I dont disagree that zeds should investigate, but not at full pelt, if they cant clearly sight you, then they should only wander over to investigate, giving you some grace time to get away.

As for a few other comments on zeds being easy to shake. Try it without using the barn glitch, or somewhere with minimal hills. Fact is, if it was not for the fact zeds seem to have some sort of agoraphobia and only seem able to walk in-doors, or zeds very much disliked you stepping behind a tree for a second while going up a steep incline, they would be near impossible to shake, they seem to not suffer any muscle degradation from death at all. There needs to be a cut off point, a distance from the zeds spawn it will give up chase, or a time a zed can run from, possibly a variant in that time also.

Edited by Bishdark
  • Like 1

You're doing something wrong. You are "crying" just as much as the guy you quoted. You are being a judgemental dick. Your opinion of how other people should play is not an absolute. The world would benefit from you not being an ass just because you think so highly of your alpha mod "skills" that you can look down on the way other people enjoy the game.

Please explain how I was "crying"? Oh wait, I wasn't. :)

Yes I'm a blunt person, deal with it. DayZ in its current state is depressingly easy and it's because of the people who come in here and moan and moan until Rocket says fuck it and nerfs the game.

Edited by Hippie

The only thing I really don't like about the game is that I have no way of trading or storing valuables, so for things that you might want but don't have the room for, you just have to leave them. If there were some storage locations (or safe zones with storage boxes) for people to use, that would be amazing. It could have the same amount of space as a pack, and you could store an extra weapon, extra ammo, medical supplies, food, etc... that way if you ran out of something, or just wanted to organize your loot so you have more room in your pack, it would be right there.

Possibly could still have it be wiped on death, that way people aren't able to just pick right back up after dying, but while you're still alive it could still be there. Would increase survivability and hopefully (if it were a designated 'safe zone') would engcourage more teamplay and allow for trading between players without the fear of getting stabbed in the back.

Just a thought.

The only thing I really don't like about the game is that I have no way of trading or storing valuables, so for things that you might want but don't have the room for, you just have to leave them. If there were some storage locations (or safe zones with storage boxes) for people to use, that would be amazing. It could have the same amount of space as a pack, and you could store an extra weapon, extra ammo, medical supplies, food, etc... that way if you ran out of something, or just wanted to organize your loot so you have more room in your pack, it would be right there.

Possibly could still have it be wiped on death, that way people aren't able to just pick right back up after dying, but while you're still alive it could still be there. Would increase survivability and hopefully (if it were a designated 'safe zone') would engcourage more teamplay and allow for trading between players without the fear of getting stabbed in the back.

Just a thought.

You need a tent or vehicle to store stuff, I think a tent can hold more than 50 items, not sure about vehicles. Also there are different backpacks, I think the biggest one is the Coyote Backpack, I coulnd't find any yet, but i did found a lot of Alice Pack which after Coyote Backpack I think it's the biggest one. i don't agree with the "safe zone", that would be a totally different game.

Edited by sebastian.w

You need a tent or vehicle to store stuff, I think a tent can hold more than 50 items, not sure about vehicles. Also there are different backpacks, I think the biggest one is the Coyote Backpack, I coulnd't find any yet, but i did found a lot of Alice Pack which after Coyote Backpack I think it's the biggest one. i don't agree with the "safe zone", that would be a totally different game.

I know there are different backpacks... my main point was the safe zone and the trading possibilities. I didn't know about the tent.... how do you find one? And also, can you pick it back up once you set it?

Also, and this is because of what just happened.... it would be really nice if I didn't pass out when a zombie came charging at me. I had full blood, water and food were green, but one hit from a zombie and I pass out... next thing I know I'm dead. I think that's a little off... in reality the adrenaline alone would keep you from passing out.

Zombies are inconsistent at best.

At one of the airfields I popped around the corner of a hanger and put 3 shots into a zombie with a PDW. He didn't care and kept shambling on his merry little way. In fact the other zombies nearby didn't seem to mind much either. However I was looking further down the airfield and a zombie came into visual range running at me. So somehow I couldn't aggro the ones next to me, but one a football stadium away caught on to the fact that I was there.

Edited by Wired

I know there are different backpacks... my main point was the safe zone and the trading possibilities. I didn't know about the tent.... how do you find one? And also, can you pick it back up once you set it?

Also, and this is because of what just happened.... it would be really nice if I didn't pass out when a zombie came charging at me. I had full blood, water and food were green, but one hit from a zombie and I pass out... next thing I know I'm dead. I think that's a little off... in reality the adrenaline alone would keep you from passing out.

I think you can pick them up and place it elsewhere, I have found a few tents but didn't have the opportunity to set one up so can't talk by experience, but check http://dayzwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tent there's info there.

About zombies knocking you off, I got hit plenty of times yesterday (with everything updated), and lost half my blood but I didn't pass out, are you using 1.7.2.3?

I would be ok with the update if everytime I logged out I could log back in with my character saved instead of back at the coast in starting gear.

I actually think the zombies are too easy now. I was able to run right behind one and not agro it. Also, I just don't care if I agro them or not now, since I can easily just run around a building or into a building and lose them. My strategy now is to simple run through a town and taking quick glaces at the loot points to see if there is anything worth stopping for, all while a train of zombies is on my tail.

The zombies are giving up too easily I think. Otherwise everything is great!

You didnt know? 1 out of 50 zombies is Mike Tyson.

• Like 1

I somewhere heard a rumor that they removed helicopters because the caused lagg, is this true?

• Like 1

Why so always freezing on loading. On every server ever. With the same beta client, same build version, and less than 30 ping. Epics is a confused, confused guy.

I noticed the zombies spawn way too fast and way too close. Cleared a big bunch of zombies around a heli crash site today. It took just 2 minutes of looting and ALL of the zombies spawned back at exactly same time in a 30 meters radius. Things got hot pretty fast there since I would never have expected that 15 zombies just pop under my nose all at the same time after just 2 minutes.

Loading and spawns. Both are broken for me at the moment. When I get stuck on the loading boss, if I alt tab, sometimes it will dump me into the game. I still think he is OP.

Spawns are still pretty bad. I actually use them to hunt other players and it has worked out quite well. I can tell the general area (definitively in the airfield) if there is another player present because Z's will have spawned. If no Z's, its safe to run in. I don't think its working as intended.

Its also so frustrating to scope an area, see its clean except for a couple here and there that you keep your eye on. Then you turn around and one and sometimes as high as 8 have spawned just behind/in front and are glitching at you with incredible speed. No thanks.

All the guys saying "yay realism" to the 7.2 aggro must not recognize the way spawns have changed is what is aggroing them like crazy. 1.7.1.5 spawn rate was undetectable to me. Now I use it against other players.

• Like 1

I got 1.7.2.3

Work fine for me.

Even the guily suit. (Juste have my gun's and pack off before put it on.

It's a bit long to enter server now for me.

But every thing else is cool :)

Edited by Tabarnator
  • Like 1

1) Spawn rates and distances. I love the stealth aspect of the game, and I realize shooting a firearm around zombies should draw their attention. But, I’ve been less than 20m from a house and had 5 Z’s suddenly spawn out of the door in front of me. And, there should be an option to drop all the Z’s in an immediate area without a continuous loop of spawning Z’s. The biggest breaker of game immersion for me, and the reason I may not play this mod again until it’s a real game. I could see more Z’s running from further areas within the city to investigate, but 3 new Z’s spawning under a tree stand before you can get down the ladder is ridiculous.

2) Z’s pathing and speed. It’s impossible to shoot a Z on the run, and thanks to their lightning speed, you don’t get many opportunities for a second chance. The only thing that slows them is their attack animation. Head shots are a zombie staple in all media genres, yet these Z’s need to be in their attack animation, or the first shot outside of their alert range to execute a head shot. Again, I enjoy stealth based games, but the option to stand and fight should be available, they're Z’s not armed super soldiers. I realize pathing is an Arma issue, but the Z’s running speed is mod controlled.

3) The random glitch where Z’s have extra sensory perception. I was in a building, looting a stash for about a minute, unmoving, when a crawler opened a door to attack me. There were no windows on this industrial building too. I had been in the building for about 3 minutes straight, and I even entered using a different entrance. Obviously there are many examples of this happening in the open, but this incident disturbed me. I only crouch walk in buildings, so I’m always slow and quiet too.

4) Can’t enter buildings while prone, and sometimes barely at all. Good luck fixing that broken leg if you can’t get into a building to loot morphine. This is a game breaking mechanic. Not to mention, thanks to having to crouch just to enter a building, I make myself visible to all the Z’s I just spent 10 minutes sneaking past.

5) Z’s extra sensory perception part two. Shooting one rifle shot from 400m brings an army of Z’s right to you, regardless of terrain or cover. Snipers and hunters know that it’s the second shot that usually gives away your relative position. Z’s sprint straight at you and thanks to their uncanny ability to find you, even guerilla hit and run tactics don’t work on Z’s. This tactic works well on superior forces in real military operations, but not on unarmed, half dead Z’s. A full on zigzag sprint right to your location is insane; some half speed investigation mode should be implemented. Not that shooting Z’s is worth it, since they respawn so quickly it’s utterly pointless.

Sorry for so much negative feedback about a game I really enjoyed playing. But the romance period has worn off for me. Now all the glitches become far more bothersome than before. I’ve never complained about losing all my gear to server loading or update issues, or even just because I put on a ghillie suite. Which, in most games would be infuriating, but I realize it’s an alpha. But many of the issues stated above have persisted in some form or another for a considerable amount of time. If Rocket ever get’s the stand alone game made that he so desperately wants I’ll be eagerly awaiting the reviews of his game before hopefully positive feedback encourages me to buy an enjoyable completed product. I’ve alpha and beta tested before, and with a half million testers now playing the game, I’m guilt free to leave the testing to others so I can enjoy other games. Good luck and I can’t wait for DayZ the game.

• Like 4

Sorry for so much negative feedback about a game I really enjoyed playing. But the romance period has worn off for me. Now all the glitches become far more bothersome than before. I’ve never complained about losing all my gear to server loading or update issues, or even just because I put on a ghillie suite. Which, in most games would be infuriating, but I realize it’s an alpha. But many of the issues stated above have persisted in some form or another for a considerable amount of time. If Rocket ever get’s the stand alone game made that he so desperately wants I’ll be eagerly awaiting the reviews of his game before hopefully positive feedback encourages me to buy an enjoyable completed product. I’ve alpha and beta tested before, and with a half million testers now playing the game, I’m guilt free to leave the testing to others so I can enjoy other games. Good luck and I can’t wait for DayZ the game.

I agree with everything you said. There are additional glitches, but there are the most egregious for me. However now that I've swapped my Enfield for a Winchester, I can shoot all the Z's I want and almost NONE of them alerts. It's very nice! Quieter than Makarov, yet still gets single-shot kills.

Not sure if thisi s a 1.7.2 update, but they added an AT Rocket Launcher. Not much use and extremely rare but still new.