Denuth

1.7.2 Opinion thread. All your opinions, good and bad, go here.

I haven't had problems getting into/out of towns without zombies being alerted; I've still been managing just fine with this update. Also whoever above mentioned smoke grenades is on the right track. I used them to make my way through NWAF and to lure zombies away from their respective deer stands. They give you A LOT of tactical advantage with zed.

Do certain types of "attention getters" work better? I guess a smoke grenade versus a flare?

Thanks for the info ;)

Yes, but I only know that smoke grenades and flares work better than empty cans and bottles (never used a chemlight). I am completely unsure if the smoke grenade is more effective than the flare, although the smoke grenade is better because it works during the day and at night.

Yes, but I only know that smoke grenades and flares work better than empty cans and bottles (never used a chemlight). I am completely unsure if the smoke grenade is more effective than the flare, although the smoke grenade is better because it works during the day and at night.

In my personal experience smoke has been much more effective at drawing zombies compared to flares.

In my personal experience smoke has been much more effective at drawing zombies compared to flares.

But smoke granades are not as easy to find as empty cans and bottles, I think zeds should pay a little more attention when you throw an empty can. I throw one right behind a zombie and he just kept walking like nothing.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the strange infected aggro is due to all the synching issues. Prone from 100m out and I didn't have any problems sneaking around them and into barns. I waited until they were not looking at me and stuck to bushes and grass as much as possible. I like the way they start shambling towards you before the full on run aggro. I managed to outcrawl a hopper that started on my tail at 15m before I first saw him, and this was in a farm field.

Synching does seem to be a problem though and seems to be a hive<->server issue according to the server forum, whatever that may be. I lost my first gun before i could even fire a shot due to a 2hr roll back from a server disconnect.

That being said, my largest beef with the game, new player so it may not be a current patch issue, is the crazy variation in the brightness levels. I go into a 4pm tree shadow and its like i just fell down a well, walk into the sunlight and my eyes start watering from the brightness. Turn my head left, I can see a foot, turn my head right, max brightness as far as the eye can see. Really? So far I have yet to find a pattern to it.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the strange infected aggro is due to all the synching issues. Prone from 100m out and I didn't have any problems sneaking around them and into barns. I waited until they were not looking at me and stuck to bushes and grass as much as possible. I like the way they start shambling towards you before the full on run aggro. I managed to outcrawl a hopper that started on my tail at 15m before I first saw him, and this was in a farm field.

Synching does seem to be a problem though and seems to be a hive<->server issue according to the server forum, whatever that may be. I lost my first gun before i could even fire a shot due to a 2hr roll back from a server disconnect.

That being said, my largest beef with the game, new player so it may not be a current patch issue, is the crazy variation in the brightness levels. I go into a 4pm tree shadow and its like i just fell down a well, walk into the sunlight and my eyes start watering from the brightness. Turn my head left, I can see a foot, turn my head right, max brightness as far as the eye can see. Really? So far I have yet to find a pattern to it.

i don't have any brightness problems, I have the normal video settings at very high, but i think I have post processing effects turned off, try changing the advanced video options.

The game is hanging every couple of seconds for me.

Its not an FPS issue (hitting 40+ consistently, good comp) and from what I can tell not a network issue

Same here. It's worst at afternoon/twilight, walking in the outer edges of a forest. If i walk straight ahead, the colors change almost every step, especially if there is a slope.

But i'm gonna take a wild guess and say that issues like this are not typically quickfixed in a mod. It's fine, though - i hate playing on anything but nighttime servers. Am i seriously the only one?

Reading this thread just gets better and better, the amount of crying here is priceless.

After 2-3 days of playing this is what I have noticed:

- Zombies actually see with their eyes now, somewhat as they should.

- Less leg breaking

- More bleeding

- Loot seems to be about the same.

Almost unplayable at the moment.

1. Zombies are too hard at the moment, you cant do shit without being spotted.

2. The majority of servers don`t save your progress.... i started around 6 times from where i first logged in... after 2 hours of gameplay....

3. Always losing all my stuff....

Not in the mood of playing until those major problems are fixed.

1. Step your game up, quit bitching.

2. Learn to read the server information/title, I haven't experienced this problem once.

3. Don't get attached to your gear, as it won't get attached to you.

This thread is somewhat confusing. On one hand you have the users who think the update has made the zombies harder and are glad of it. On the otherhand you have users saying it's too tough. What I want to know is:

- Are zombies supposed to be able to spot you if you are prone, in long grass, not moving and from plus 50 meters? That's what I have encountered when playing with the new patch.

- Are zombies suppose to aggro from 100 meters plus away? Surely if they notice you from that distance they would go into stalk mode, before getting close enough to identify you as a surivor and thus go full aggro and chase you.

To me the zombies behaviour is now too unpredictable, but maybe that's what is wanted. I found it hard enough before the update and would have thought just increasing the zombie count, especially in cities, would have sufficed.

Also, zombie animations and the issue with zombies aggroing outside through walls and buildings is a major issue.

1. There's always a chance they can, if they're looking in your general direction.

2. If they see you, why wouldn't they run after you?

3. Zombies are hard?

It's unplayable.

I lie 100% still in prone mode and I get aggro from 50 m.

WTF?

You're doing something wrong, the trick now is to avoid their eyesight, you can't just prone anymore and expect them not to see you laying/crawling across flat land.

Same here. It's worst at afternoon/twilight, walking in the outer edges of a forest. If i walk straight ahead, the colors change almost every step, especially if there is a slope.

But i'm gonna take a wild guess and say that issues like this are not typically quickfixed in a mod. It's fine, though - i hate playing on anything but nighttime servers. Am i seriously the only one?

Disable post processing effects in advanced video options.

Disable post processing effects in advanced video options.

Sweet, i'll check it out. I'm not sure why, but it seems like the advanced settings have been reset for me from time to time. I always turn up video memory to very high, for example, but when i checked it the other day, it was back to medium.

Sweet, i'll check it out. I'm not sure why, but it seems like the advanced settings have been reset for me from time to time. I always turn up video memory to very high, for example, but when i checked it the other day, it was back to medium.

That happened to me too, the setting got changed from very high to medium, i thought it was because i sometimes play with a 1440x900 and sometimes with a 1920x1080 monitor, but not sure why it happens.

I think the brightness/contrast settings in video options should be locked in some way at default to 1.0

When turning those settings up to full, you have better nightvision then actual nightvision...

And a question, if you shot someone, is it true that you start hearing footsteps behind you really low, on and of?

And same with strange shadows?

Thanks for great game!

1st, rocket. Awesome mod. :thumbsup: Playing nearly non stop last 2-3 days since I picked it up.

Some dislikes on the new patch. (postive critism here only! ;) )

Visual range is gone from the debug monitor. This should really stay in until beta when a better range detection meter or something is introduced. (the eye and ear just don't cut it)

Zombie detection range not reduced by 20%. Had one come up the stairs in high-yeild industial building without moving. :|

I had to log. Just don't see any sane way to play when you can agro not moving in a building. Patch seemed more game breaking then fixing from one honest gamer to another.

*updated*

Played through the evening and despite the first hiccups its a bit better then previously thought. I was able to get around better then I thought. I'll admit it was mostly overcast and dark which probably helped a lot.

Still some weird inventory glitches.

:beans: :beans: :beans: :emptycan: :emptycan: (would be 4 but still needs visual range)

Edited by MAXAMOUS

Zombie detection range not reduced by 20%. Had one come up the stairs in high-yeild industial building without moving. :|

I had to log. Just don't see any sane way to play when you can agro not moving in a building. Patch seemed more game breaking then fixing from one honest gamer to another.

I'd rate this new patch :beans: :emptycan: :emptycan: :emptycan: :emptycan:

But they have eyes.

IMHO i think the zombies are to easy...

Edited by Johanna

1st, rocket. Awesome mod. :thumbsup: Playing nearly non stop last 2-3 days since I picked it up.

Some dislikes on the new patch. (postive critism here only! ;) )

Visual range is gone from the debug monitor. This should really stay in until beta when a better range detection meter or something is introduced. (the eye and ear just don't cut it)

I'd rate this new patch :beans: :emptycan: :emptycan: :emptycan: :emptycan:

I had a totally different experience with 1.7.2.3 (version where they say detection was reduced by 20%), I got REALLY close to the zeds without them even notice me, near cherno i dropped on the floor to crawl below those broken walls, and when i had half body into the other side i turn and see a zombie there 2 mts from me, he was there standing and making weird noises looking kinda at my direction, i crawled back from where i came from and he didn't even followed me.

I did saw some weird glitches on the inventory, when trying to right click > action on an item it wouldnt work and then after minutes it would do the animation but not the "effect" of the action which came much later, also trying to pick up a tent, i couldn't because it said my inventory had no room, so I dropped everything and tried again, still same error. Tried lot of times quickly, and suddenly 8 other tents spawned lol.

Also I couldn't get the hatchet out of my toolbelt even when my primary weapon slot was empty, then i dropped it and it disappeared, i saw plenty of weird bugs like that with the inventory today, never happened to me before.

Edited by sebastian.w

it's ok as aways, but i like guile, hope is fix soon!

Just logged in to find my character has somehow contracted a flu or whatever even though my tempeture never once dropped below 42 degrees while playing today. Having random agro issues from zombies at distances of over a city block while crouched and moving at walking speed, even at night it is easy pulling agro with zero sight bars and just one sound bar from zombies over twenty feet away.

The zombie agro would not be an issue if not for the fact this game spawns them all around us as we enter cities and towns in areas that had zero zombies as we approached. Kinda hard making sure i "avoid their eye sight" like the know it alls will say when the f*cking zombie did not exist five seconds prior and agros on me almost as zoon as it spawns.

In my opinion the best fix would be to make zombies walk instead of sprint when they detect a almost hidden player, even the undead would not be dumb enough to run full speed at every little noise they hear or shadow they think they see moving.

Loving 1.7.2.3. New zombie ai is awesome.

Keep chopping and changing it around rocket.

The zombies are a lot more enjoyable now. The only times we had some sprinting at us was when one of us was still crouching instead of crawling.

Performance seems to be slightly better as well, but the pathfinding needs to be fixed asap. Currently you're almost forced to let a runner come up to you and hit you once to make sure that he won't suddenly sprint 10 meters to the left just to appear behind you again. This even happens on low-ping servers.

me and my friend played the 1.7.2.3 patch & OA Beta 94876 last night and for the most part the Zs acted like in 1.7.15 patch and we had a blast playing the mod. But every so often we would have a Z who was way off in the distance just run at us whilst the nearer Zs where oblivious to our presence. At one point we were on top of the roof of some apartment buildings laid down not moving and in third person camera every so often we would see a Z sprinting back and forth ,sometimes towards our appartments where we lay and sometimes away from them and then just stop. After laying there for maybe 15 or 20 min watching this behavour before logging off both aggreeing something was not right in the patch and to check forums for similar happennings.

Edited by Moxyz1
  • Like 1

Not sure how much of this is applicable at the moment due to technical limitations but before moving on to implementing more fun things, I think some bugs need to be worked out:

- doors are slamming in my face hurting me bad. I was nearly killed, broken bones after prematurely shutting the door with zombies on my tail

- While crawling with broken bones (after door incident) I was unable to enter many ground-floor buildings due to a tiny step-up, or curb. So I couldn't reach meds

- Can't respawn without disconnecting. Is this normal or just me? (sorry noob)

- A few more basic melee weapons (really weak ones so at least I can beat off a zombie even if it chews on me a bit). Examples would be a lead pipe, a discarded brick.

- Nameplate options?Since all players look alike, It'd be nice to have some identifier when up-close. If this is not possible, how about some gesture scripts such as wave or salute so we can show we are friendly.

Thanks, great stuff so far. I can't wait to see further progress on this mod.

Alright this is a bit insane now. You cant even loot a building without having a zombie seeing you from the windows and aggro from the fields 200 meters away. And not to even mention getting into the building in the first place.

Any news on fixing the "wilderness spawn, no gear bug"??

I mean I know it's alpha but it's a major pain in the ass to have to respawn and start again because of a huge huge flaw in the mod.

you have fixed the zeds agro which wasn't a big deal but still if I log out for more than 4 hours then come back I have to start all over again

Please sort that out.