Denuth

1.7.2 Opinion thread. All your opinions, good and bad, go here.

why have i just spent 45 mins trying to get into a game, ive tried about 7 different servers.

for christ sake sort this crap out

• Like 2

Is it me, or are zombies alerted of your presence from a greater distance now on the 7.2.3? I used to be able to crouch walk my way through most Cherno and only pull a few, now they see me wayyy before I see them and are all over me. Just curious.

I just dont understand why the aggro range was increase for visual. I pretty much have to crawl through town now to avoid zombies where previously I was able to crouch walk. I guess it makes it more challenging, but it was already hard enough getting through zombie infested areas.

I just dont understand why the aggro range was increase for visual. I pretty much have to crawl through town now to avoid zombies where previously I was able to crouch walk. I guess it makes it more challenging, but it was already hard enough getting through zombie infested areas.

if you are behind a zed and not in front, you can crouch walk all you want and get pretty close (at least in my experience), it does make sense I mean a normal person can see someone crouched from pretty far away if they are looking in that direction.

Stupid faggots who disconnect, move behind me while sniping, and shoot me with a M1911. Sad.

I guess I have a few more things to add.

1. Zombies running uphill when you have to walk, mildly irritating. Strafing at an angle usually solves this.

2. I thought that they made it so you could run away from zombies now and eventually lose them? I haven't been able to do so yet.

3. The aggro factor of the zombies has been heightened. Zombies see me, when their on the side of a house and aren't even in view. Crawling through a town the size of Cherno would take forever. Crouch walking was great, and i do miss it.

4. New people to the game are going to have a HUUUGE disadvantage now with how quickly zombies aggro. Starting weapons (even a melee weapon) should be brought back. Even though I didn't play the game when you started with a Makarov.

5. More vehicles, strewn about the map.

Not really suggestions, just statements.

First:

This game couldn't ever pertain to real life, vehicles would be numerous, and weapons would be anything that was heavy and blunt. Also, zombies aren't exactly scientifically studied. Their habits and mannerisms are open for interpretation.

Second: You can't ever win this game, so don't be so sore about dying. It just opens up the opportunity of finding better or different equipment. (I die a lot, but also live by the shoot on sight creed)

The loading times in this patch seem rediculous compared to before.

10 minuites or so to join a game.

Same with respawning

• Like 1

stuck at waiting for character on 1.7.2.3. kinda starting to piss me off. no servers ive found so far get past that.

stuck at waiting for character on 1.7.2.3. kinda starting to piss me off. no servers ive found so far get past that.

Have you tried waiting for 5-10 mins? Mine does that too but loads eventually.

The Infected are a bit of a pain still, I wish they had a set agro range and stick to it but it does seem to change. This becomes less of a problem in the more advanced game as you will have the tools to deal with them efficiently, although I'm not a fan of letting people know where I am with gunshots echoing out. Usually when I hear gun fire, I get into cover, get the binoculars out and scan the area for some loud arse players to pop.

One thing that did bug me a little was the infected running in the hangers at the Airstrip. That shit me up, had a few on my tail and you have to run around the airfields if you prone to get in undetected, you're a sitting duck for snipers. I ran to the back of the hanger to give me as much time as possible to pick my shot, only to see three of the buggers still running at me. With more luck that skill I managed to kill all 3 without them hitting me, but it was still brown trousers time.

But I still think they are too easy to lose, you shouldn't be able to run past a tree then go prone for them not to see that. A Zed chasing you should be a scary experience not a annoying one. The fact that people including myself, although I'm disappointed I resorted to this technique, are just running through large towns and cities searching for a weapon ignoring zombie agro is as far from realistic as it can get. Yes they could get popped off a sniper but then they could easily do it on a low population server to lessen that threat.

Maybe it would be better if you lose speed the longer you're running at full speed or/and if you run past a Zed they can cut you off and take a swing at you slowing you down.

You want people to be fighting them so maybe making melee weapons more common place at the spawning points would be good, (I don't have a gun yet, but at least I have my stick) finding a metal bar on the coast could be implemented, not as effective as the hatchet but a weapon that might be able to knock a Zed down so you're able to make your escape in a more fun way than running into bushes to hide.

Weapon clips are refilling when I log off too, not complaining but that's clearly something that needs fixing.

The Wilderness spawn bug hasn't happened to me since patch 1.7.2.3 so I hope that is now a thing of the past. but only time will tell.

With the patches on the whole I think it's moving in the right direction, there are just a few things that can make the game too easy where as before it was harder.

I find zeds to be incredibly stupid in this patch. They may have a larger aggro radius but I can kite them incredibly easily and LoS them around buildings all day long. I run around elektro and churno with no worries about zeds. Kinda messes with immresion I must say. Oh and there have been a huge amount of servers I've joined where large groups of zombies are bugged out and stationary.

Edited by cragzeek

1.7.2.3. Infected:-

Danger rating in this patch - LOW. (since their hearing is reduced by 50% through objects).

Immersion rating - LOW. Problems with spawns are well recorded. When a player approaches buildings:-

1. infected can spawn in duplicate locations AT THE SAME time resulting in humourous conga lines of infected.

2. infected path-walking obviously radiates out (away from buildings) from where they spawn; this is rather predictable; towns can be empty 5mins after you approach one; IE all infected have walked to the outskirts of the town and the center is empty.

I know that the infected are there to provide a background atmosphere to the main pvp game (I crack up when some people suggest removing them!) but the more "realistic" and challenging they are the better the game experience IMHO.

Edited by dayzrab

"Waiting for character to create"

"Wating for host"......

Some way to force updates to all servers would be nice. Every business or entity that has a network has the ability to do this. It's built into every server OS.

Strange aggro issues on infected.

Sometimes if your a distance away from a group of infected the front 5 staring at you wont see you, Then one of the infected at the back will spot you from a ridiculous distances and aggro.

Sometimes he can run all the way to you as you run away and you can still not agro others.

Not keen on their visual distances when stood up running

"Waiting for character to create"

"Wating for host"......

People having the waiting for host problem. I read it was a problem with the most recent ARMA beta patch. If you revert to a previous beta patch you should be alright.

Have you tried waiting for 5-10 mins? Mine does that too but loads eventually.

that worked. thanks

I like the zombie behavior now, except for the occasional completely-distant-zombie-aggro-for-no-reason-whatsoever. I like that they are more likely to run almost directly at you which makes them easier to shoot without waiting for them to stop, hit you, then shoot. I still miss, but before, at least for me, it was a waste of ammo and "unwanted noise" to even try.

I think 1.7.2.3 was a good step foward.

OK here is my current impression of the latest patch (1.7.3?)

1) Servers are a nightmare. Not sure if better or worse. Lots of locked servers is annoying (thought no private servers? maybe i missed this) but really I have to say I spend a lot of time rebooting Arma2 now with the "Loading" screen stuck. When it loads its fast, otherwise it locks

2) Zombie Aggro seems to have hit a bit of a sweet spot if you ask me. I cant be careless and crouch-run into towns now, I spend a lot of time carefully and methodically crawling around.I like that, it makes the zeds viable without the HUGE aggro they had before

3) Hatchets work well, not great, but its good enough for alpha if you ask me.

4) Animals behaving better, more zeds than i've seen before (yay!)

5) desync issues still plague pvp but I dont pvp much so i can not say i test it often

6) Food is now pretty scarce. I like that, though it makes it a lot harder. found 75 marakov mags, no beans. Damn you rocket.... had to play another 2 hours to load up on gears!

7) few recommendations: should need to eat less. I understand drinking is necessary, but food should be more periodic. Also, drinking from water. This should be something we can do at a water spicket or pond. Maybe even make empty cans able to carry water.... it IS a can after all (maybe not store the water but maybe you need an empty can to drink from streams/spickets?). I'd like to see scoped weapons much more rare, and increase the range of the noise that all the modern firearms make. I have shot a zed with others around and they dont even notice the dinner bell... lastly, something to encourage grouping would be nice. I dont want to play the bandit punishment game, but its something to keep putting out there that people really should have incentive to band up.

Otherwise, this mod is getting better by the day.

Zombies glitching through walls is a big issue, especially when you try to hold up in a house and think your safe only to have zombies defying physics and walking through walls to repeatedly smash your skull in!

Love it!

The major problem I had recently is breaking legs when closing a door.

My last character broke his legs in Mogilevka, in http://i.imgur.com/oO8z5.jpg that building; south west in the town.

The reason being is because the door, when opened, blocks off a corridor to a loot spawn point within the building. The only way I was able to close the door was to crawl ridiculously close to it, for the menu to show up allowing me to close the door. Bare in mind there were zombies right outside too. So as you'd imagine, I had to basically lie in front of the door, looking at the hinges to close it.

Is it not possible to increase the distance you have to be from a door entity so a player can close it safely?

For those that want to know what happened next, I crawled from Mogilevka, to Cherno hospital tents for morphine.

just been through 2 hours of hell to get this thing working.

im fairly well educated but just dont have any in depth knowledge of pc files and how they really work.

followed segments of god knows how many different forum guides but my battle eye and dayz are now finally working.

i hope this many obstacles arent placed in front of me the in the next update, i feel sorry for people who dont even have enough knowledge to stumble their way through a how to guide like i have. they are effectivley banished from the game now.

i hope something is put in place for them to use to install the files they need soon

My opinion: As long as the cheating and hacking isn't stopped, it doesn't matter at all what you put in, it will not be enjoyable. Freind of mine got killed by an A-10 (right, it's NOT available in DayZ), three times now we ran into god-cheat hackers that didn't even drop after emptying a full AKM magazine into them.

You can add whatever you want to the mod, as long as it is so easy to cheat, it will go down the drain. So before adding more features, please consider stopping the gaping security holes.

Please see this as a constructive criticism from a frustrated player.

Also, I find it strange that I see so many servers locked from time to time. I'm not talking about automatic locking to prevent connect spam. I talk about servers that have been locked for hours with only 5 to 10 people in, when the admins declare that they are doing "maintenance"... right, "maintenance" for hours with 10 buddies in...

Edited by Varanon

i love how there are more zombies in kamenca than there is in cherno now?????