Scutticus

Vehicle Protection

I recently acquired and repaired a bus but to my disappointment found it stolen when i logged in this morning. This got me thinking of ways to protect/secure vehicles to an extent that doesn't compromise certain player styles.

My idea is; What if when you finish repairing/save a vehicle for the first time, you acquire a sort of key to the vehicle which can even set it to locked or unlocked. When locked, no one can enter or interact with the vehicle. When unlocked, anyone can enter or interact with the vehicle.

I can tell this idea would anouy multiple people already (including myself) so heres the good part. One could possibly utilise a weapon or piece of equipment which would act as a way off damaging the locks on a vehicle. This piece of equipment already exists: a crowbar or hunting knife could be used to damage the locks on a vehicle so no play style is affected by a vehicle security system.

This may be considered to tip the scale in favourite of the bandit/criminal so perhaps by damaging these locks, a car alarm would activate, attracting zombies and players a-like to that location.

I believe this mechanism suits everyones play style and would be a great feature. Thoughts?

Like the idea, and if u have no knife or crowbar u can ambush the owner-> kill him->take keys

Why did you hide it so badly in the first play?

I'm going to say no, because you have to look at the big picture. Bikes, motorcycles and ATV's are vehicles as well. It doesn't make any sense to have them locked and magically you can't interact. Not only that, but the windows can be destroyed, so not having a key wouldn't be a problem.

Bikes and ATVS still require keys to drive and access the storage, pedal cycles have no solution as far as i can see. Windows being used to break into vehicles s also a possibility as it would require a gunshot/melee attack and could still activate an alarm. This would also provide a use for windscreen glass.

This wont solve any problems instead of stealing the vehicles you guys hide so poorly they will just blow them up. Then u will be on here asking to make vehicles invisible unless your in them, or bulletproof or they are only on when your on or blah blah blah.

Why would someone waste the ammo/time/effort/opportunity by destroying the vehicle? Granted some would, but the problem would be discouraged...

Nah, you get some, you lose some. Unless you are in a huge clan I suggest making the most of the vehicle when you have it, you will most likely lose it anyway. And what point would it make to lock them if you can just brake the lock with a hunting knife (which everyone obviously has). And car alarms after the apocalypse? In a car you repaired from a completely wrecked state? I didn't know normal survivors can repair such delicate electronics....

Why would someone waste the ammo/time/effort/opportunity by destroying the vehicle? Granted some would' date=' but the problem would be discouraged...

[/quote']

Because if i can have it neither can you. If I cant benefit from the vehicle and I can't steal it why on earth would I leave it for you to enjoy. Thats like saying man why would you take stuff out of other peoples tents and run them over they worked hard for that... I play for keeps like everyone else if I cant kill you with my gun I will kill your spirit by taking or breaking all you have.

If you have a gun why do you need a crowbar?

The point is to discourage the hording of vehicles off map which is just very selvish and anouying. Plus a gun would not disable the locks of a real car, it would just put a bullet hole in the car. If a car had been a wreck, how would the battery of it have depleted? Plus whos to say you couldn't also implement a car battery which could be used to fix the HUD of the vehicle, headlights and now car alarm. And to Fraguido: you would really waste a load of ammunition, time and possibly compromise your location just to ruin someones elses time?

Nah' date=' you get some, you lose some. Unless you are in a huge clan I suggest making the most of the vehicle when you have it, you will most likely lose it anyway. And what point would it make to lock them if you can just brake the lock with a hunting knife (which everyone obviously has). And car alarms after the apocalypse? In a car you repaired from a completely wrecked state? I didn't know normal survivors can repair such delicate electronics....

[/quote']

And if you want to play that game, how could a survivor repair a cars engine with just a small toolbox and no engine lifts or other engineering equipment? How would a normal survivor not think to fix all the other damaged vehicle scenary that look as though they are only missing a tire. Why does the normal survivor not think to fight with his hands and feet when unarmed? How does a normal survivor sprint endlessly with no major detrimental effects? I could go on...

I see your point Scutticus but in the few seconds it takes to blow up (grenade) and run away from said explosion wouldn't really compromise my position and Its not about wasting somebody else's time its about capping someone that may have an advantage over me. A lot of this would be solved if people put a little more thought into camp placement. Another solution to this would be double the map size, when I first started the game I was like omg wtf this map is HUGE now I'm like damn this isn't enough space for 50 people.

Also, I totally agree hiding vehicles off the map is pretty lame and its something my group never does we are on the map for anyone to find if they look hard enough.

• Like 1

I see your point Scutticus but in the few seconds it takes to blow up (grenade) and run away from said explosion wouldn't really compromise my position and Its not about wasting somebody else's time its about capping someone that may have an advantage over me. A lot of this would be solved if people put a little more thought into camp placement. Another solution to this would be double the map size, when I first started the game I was like omg wtf this map is HUGE now I'm like damn this isn't enough space for 50 people.

Also, I totally agree hiding vehicles off the map is pretty lame and its something my group never does we are on the map for anyone to find if they look hard enough.

Didn't think about frags :P Fair point i suppose, but i believe trying to find a secure spot for a camp that is still on map is very difficult and would never provide true security to players and their vehicles...

Plus a gun would not disable the locks of a real car, it would just put a bullet hole in the car.

You wouldn't shoot the locks, you'd shoot the window or break it using the stock of the gun.

You wouldn't shoot the locks, you'd shoot the window or break it using the stock of the gun.

Enabling that would make things awkward: because then i could say why not use ur fist, a nearby rock, any item of scenary or equipment...and i did say a weapon could be utilised, but it would start the car alarm and make a lot of noise.

Why did you hide it so badly in the first play?

Ever tried hiding a bus?

• Like 1

require toolbox to steal someone elses car? Or some new type of loot that could be of assistance when hotwiring? I've never had a vehicle for long but it does seem ridiculous that I can just run up to any vehicle and jump in as if the driver left the key in.

I recently acquired and repaired a bus but to my disappointment found it stolen when i logged in this morning. This got me thinking of ways to protect/secure vehicles to an extent that doesn't compromise certain player styles.

My idea is; What if when you finish repairing/save a vehicle for the first time, you acquire a sort of key to the vehicle which can even set it to locked or unlocked. When locked, no one can enter or interact with the vehicle. When unlocked, anyone can enter or interact with the vehicle.

I can tell this idea would anouy multiple people already (including myself) so heres the good part. One could possibly utilise a weapon or piece of equipment which would act as a way off damaging the locks on a vehicle. This piece of equipment already exists: a crowbar or hunting knife could be used to damage the locks on a vehicle so no play style is affected by a vehicle security system.

This may be considered to tip the scale in favourite of the bandit/criminal so perhaps by damaging these locks, a car alarm would activate, attracting zombies and players a-like to that location.

I believe this mechanism suits everyones play style and would be a great feature. Thoughts?

it was you? parked the bus on the main road near Berezino?

if I have tools and hatchet no key will help you...

I thought about something like this, not so useful, maybe to add some item that can be found then you put it in the car and then you can lock it, if someone else try to open the car he cant but if he has tools he can break in and then you receive message that alarm is on and you car was stolen...

work only for any vehicle with doors.

Edited by DooM4MR

it was you? parked the bus on the main road near Berezino?

if I have tools and hatchet no key will help you...

I thought about something like this, not so useful, maybe to add some item that can be found then you put it in the car and then you can lock it, if someone else try to open the car he cant but if he has tools he can break in and then you receive message that alarm is on and you car was stolen...

work only for any vehicle with doors.

Think that was me, and my 3 mates :P It was on like full fuel?

Ever tried hiding a bus?

Yes, I was the one that helped him hide it xD