FriendlyBear

Out of curiousity..

First off; I tried to search, didn't find anything - but, will DayZ always be free, or has something been said by rocket or somebody that it'll eventually require you to pay?

I know a lot of the time mod creators aren't allowed to charge money for their mod, but with something this big, it might be a bit of a different situation, but I wouldn't know anything about it personally.

Either way, I am curious. I just hope nobody gets angry because I asked this.

Personally, I'd like to see him get paid for it.

(as long as he doesnt put in fucking beartraps)

My understanding is Bohemia Interactive has given him a thumbs-up for what hes done. Not sure if that means the officially support it or not?

Id like to see it as an official expansion when its done. Something like $19.99 would be fair in my opinion.

I say $9.99 US/Canadian would be fair maybe more if Bohemia aids in the game but as soon as they start making it their game and not rockets I drop all support

right now it's free because it's only a mod. but in the future, it'll probably be sold as a standalone - obviously with more features.

i personally think the arma 3 version of dayz will be sold as standalone, seeing as how most dayz players don't play arma anyways. hopefully arma 3 buyers will get it for free ;)

A mod /game like this is too good for any developer to turn down, the profit made from this for Bohemia will be astounding even as a mod or add-on.

Money will be made, and week by week I get the impression there won't be much more progress with this version of it. If I was running a company and had a new product being released, all time and effort would be going into that, not a side project however profitable.

One of the best things Bohemia can do is intergrate this with ARMA 3 perhaps as a Exclusive release, Imagine that bottom line!!!!

I will be honest, I saw ARMA 2 on release and didnt purchase it (Not atmospheric enough as a game for me) the minute I saw Dayz, it was a must have. With the release of ARMA 3 I genuinely want the game, and I hope to hell they will release a game editor for it.

My Youth was spent in my bedroom making maps and missions for Novalogics' Delta Force series of games (Like so many others) this freedom was my loyalty and reason for playing games from that Company. What scares me is Dayz is limited to what the original game mechanics can do. When the community keeps asking for this addition and that addition, I think they forget, you can't have certain stuff because the base code wont allow you due to the basic foundation without major pain in the arse overhaul of the original game. It will take a competant programmer a while to alter it (therefore giving major grief to the minds behind it who have to go out of their way to offer updates, patches and installation)

I've read Rocket does not want paying for it, but realistically his vision and direction needs rewarding somehow, that perfect payment is control over his Mod and being able to have say in what is added into the new ARMA 3 universe. In game terms ARMA 2 is outdated now and needed inspiration for longevity, Rocket gave us Dayz and look what happened, an exsisting game base grew massively.

For me I will ensure I use it till Dayz - ARMA 3 comes out, and it will.

My 2p

I say $9.99 US/Canadian would be fair maybe more if Bohemia aids in the game but as soon as they start making it their game and not rockets I drop all support

Likewise. This needs to stay rockets projects, hate to see Bohemia take it over.

I think they should give more freedom if they're going to charge it. What I mean is custom servers where admins can lead their server as they want...