Zexis

Hello friends. Is DayZ worth it? (+ add. q's)

Felicitations, internet dwellers!

My name is Zexis and I am not sure whether or not I should purchase Arma II:CO / download DayZ.

I have read reviews of this alpha mod and they have been surprisingly positive. I am downloading the demo of the core game as I type to see if my laptop can handle the game in the first place.

But I have some questions I'd like answered. First, in the mod's current state, are there any issues I should be aware of? How is the current update sitting with players?

Second, are there any significant differences between the Steam and non-Steam versions?

Lastly, would you say that the mod is worth ~30 USD? And if for whatever reason I end up hating the mod, do any of you play vanilla Arma II and would you recommend it for its price?

Thank you and good luck!

Edit note: I have a bit of a headache and apologize if there are some stickied threads somewhere that answer my questions. I'm just a newbie contemplating whether I should back to Minecraft after Skyrim or try out something altogether different like ARMA.

First, no one cant tell you if youre going to like it or not. Thats personal taste. What I'd recommend is watching DayZ video on Youtube and they show better than a written review what this game is about.

Second, this is in Alpha. Which means things will sometimes be "broken" on purpose. There are game mechanics that havent been implemented and there are some that may be removed. And there are lots of bugs and exploits to be squashed. This is not a trial version, just remember that.

As far as I know there is no difference between the Steam and non-Steam version.

I bought Arma2 and Arrowhead a long time ago and I still think it was worth the purchase price.

You can get ARMA 2 free and then buy CO, saving some money.

You can get ARMA 2 free and then buy CO' date=' saving some money.

[/quote']

I heard that this is not recommended, though I'll keep it in mind.

I know that this is constantly being updated and I'm not expecting a "pristine" experience :) I have patience and am not the sort of chap who will come on here whining about every little issue.

Thanks for the replies so far! I like to do a lot of research before I buy games, because I want purchases that have high replay value.

I would also suggest finding some mates who are willing to play with you. DayZ can be a lonely and frustrating experience if you are in the wilderness all by yourself.

Zexis, don't buy ARMA 2 just for DayZ. Buy ARMA 2 CO for ARMA2 CO & DayZ. I've seen and heard of many people buying the game "just for this awesome r0xxor mod" and then they are disappointed, sad faced and going back to their other favourite game that they played beforehand.

I think you are going the right way in testing out ARMA 2 Free version, just to get the right feel for the mechanics.

The alpha of this mod clearly is in the very beginning and there still are many holes to fill and things to improve.

The current version 1.7.1.5 is sitting quite well with most everyone and the outlook of the soon to be version 1.7.2 is good as well. 1.7.2 will bring a major foundation overhaul and probably will facilitate implementing new features.

Personally I'd go with the Steam version if you already are using Steam or go with the retail CD if you somehow are afraid of Steam or generally like the physical media, elsewise there is no difference.

I love it and spent about a week watching videos and overall how hard the game was. If you liked dark souls or demon souls you will probably like this game. I also think now is the time to join in because the more you contribute to the game now the better it becomes down the road.

It is and it isn't. I tend to have the most fun playing Dayz when I play with a few buddies if a couple of your buddies are going to play it as well then I'd recommend it because then it costs the same as a fun night out except you can use it more than just one night. Plus you get the actual game with it!

Biggest concern right now is performance, ugh. Just downloaded the demo and had to turn ALL video settings to lowest possible to achieve a semi-steady 30 fps. Granted I hadn't tried any optimization yet apart from those settings, but is there any hope?

i5 2410M CPU @ 2.3GHz (Quad-core)

4GB RAM

Intel HD 3000 graphics (laptop, not meant for heavy gaming, I know I know)