Sign in to follow this  
DTsoy

I need to have this AToC thing explained in a short, brief manner.

I have AToC=7 in my cfg.

However, people are telling me to change it to AToC=0 - Apparently that'll increase performance and make the environments look "better".

However, when I set AToC=0, all I really notice is that the density of the grass decreases... What's the reasoning behind this command?

I know this sounds stupid but where is the config file to alter this setting?

I have the steam version.

This is much less about performance increase and more about being able to see better through close-range bush and trees.

This is much less about performance increase and more about being able to see better through close-range bush and trees.

Sounds like an exploit to me, just saying. It may not be, but it sounds like file-editing so...that's an exploit in some places but not others. Rocket may need to look at that.

Sounds like an exploit to me' date=' just saying. It may not be, but it sounds like file-editing so...that's an exploit in some places but not others. Rocket may need to look at that.

[/quote']

Is not. If it was, it would be an exploit running the game at highest resolution 3 monitor setup if your rig is powerful enough. It is normal part of Arma 2 config. Why do you think the file is editable in the first place? It's even documented by BI :)

Here you go' date=' with screenshots included. Basically, it makes foliage look more natural. (Anti aliasing needs to be turned on for this to take effect) :)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?123203-ArmA-2-OA-Beta-Build-83363&p=1998153#post1998153

[/quote']

I have been looking for a screenshot comparison, thanks for this, this is really useful.

Sounds like an exploit to me' date=' just saying. It may not be, but it sounds like file-editing so...that's an exploit in some places but not others. Rocket may need to look at that.

[/quote']

Is not. If it was, it would be an exploit running the game at highest resolution 3 monitor setup if your rig is powerful enough. It is normal part of Arma 2 config. Why do you think the file is editable in the first place? It's even documented by BI :)

Well I didn't say it was, just that I've seen a lot of games jump up and down and get in a tizzy because people were editing config files.

On a side note, I got de-rep spammed for that post, even though it was a legitimate concern...

Do you think that setting your brightness and gamma to full during night time is also an exploit? Since when has tweaking in-game options (even if they are accessed through a config file) become an exploit?

Do you think that setting your brightness and gamma to full during night time is also an exploit? Since when has tweaking in-game options (even if they are accessed through a config file) become an exploit?

It's certainly misusing what it was intended for. There's also the problem of not everyone being aware that it's available/its benefits. Certainly a grey area.

Well I didn't say it was' date=' just that I've seen a lot of games jump up and down and get in a tizzy because people were editing config files.

[/quote']

Of course. Yours was a valid concern, and a valid question, especially with the competitive nature of most players of this mod. I just tried to answer as best as I could :)

On a side note' date=' I got de-rep spammed for that post, even though it was a legitimate concern...

[/quote']

Not by me :)