Sign in to follow this  
Lexi (DayZ)

Dynamic / Atmospheric Zombie Sound and Environment Interaction

When being stealthy whilst amongst zombies, both at night and day (especially night) one of the greatest things a player will be sensitive to is sound. Listening for both friend and foe amongst the ambiance. Players know that when zombies make that all-too-familiar shriek, the horde, or at least one or two zombies are en route. My suggestion, is that, as well as the currently existing 'idle' sounds for zombies, some more are added, perhaps louder ones, that may cause the player to question: "Did the zombie just spot me?". Though I agree that the sound of a zombie chasing a player should be unquestionably that, louder idle sounds might help to make the player uneasy, especially around larger groups.

Right now it seems that the zombies scream only when confronted with a player, but I feel that some randomness to toy with the players fear could work well. Another idea I had was to improve the zombies interaction with the environment, instead of only standing limp all the time, perhaps a zombie might bang rhythmically on the side of a hangar; suddenly causing the players to be fuelled with fear and the quieter sounds now muffled by the drumming of the zombie, that might suddenly stop. Leaving players to wonder why.

Oh, and some slight variance in the voices of the zombies wouldn't go amiss, it's rather off-putting when a bunch of zombies start to scream in unison, pitch-perfect as though they were ex members of the local barbershop quartet.

I already feel a great deal of tension sneaking through towns, day or night. I also have to regularly coach a new player when its good to engage a Zed, and when its not.. even if the Zed is just a stones throw away.

If others with a keen ear have already figured out the entire dialect, along with the AI movements, of a Zed without fail. more power to than - I personally find them difficult and random as it is, even with over 3 weeks of play time in.