Baseballkid9734

Is My Computer Strong Enough?

I have just started to get into PC gaming, so I am interested in buying a computer (HP Pavilion P7-1017C (QP757AAR#ABA) 21.5" Desktop PC Intel Core i3 2100(3.10GHz) 4GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity Intel HD Graphics Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit [price tag at $3.90]) and I have heard from many people that my i3 2100 would not be strong enough to play this mod, or CoD5 with custom maps. So my question for you is should I buy this computer and use this processor, and eventually upgrade to an i5, or should I just keep shopping for a different computer because buying an i3 is a total waste. All help will be considered and appreciated, thanks in advance for all the help. :)

p.s. If I do use the i3 2100, what settings will I be able to play this on to have little, to no lag, but still have a tolerable graphics settings, thanks :)

Well, no.

Looking at the specs of the I3 it should be strong enough to run on low/medium. However what concerns me is the "Intel HD Graphics", I haven't heard of it before and can't find propor specs about it, so I'm assuming it's crap.

Otherwise, even if the computer would run Arma 2 I would buy another PC (preferably part by part and let a friend or you build the computer)

HP isn't a gaming brand, and it will start to suck really fast (just bad computers).

If you really need a new monitor, try to get a cheaper one (1680 x 1050 for example).

Chip probably not good enough.

It has no graphics card either.

Also I would recommend getting an SSD as it will help prevent texture popup and stutter.

So I'd say, no this will not run it at any acceptable level of quality/performance at all.

I'd say shop around for something better. You will probably have to spend a good bit more than that to get good quality/performance on this game.

Check out the rig in my sig. Even with this rig I have no AA enabled, object detail on normal and terrain detail on high, all other settings maxed and vis distance 1600 @ resolution 1920x1080.

Can hold solid 60fps most of the time but the lowest I've seen it drop in the cities with a lot going on is 48-50fps.

My point is I can't even hold solid 60 with my rig with a few settings turned down :)

Reckon a lot of folks are hovering around the 30fps mark, but the pc you linked to would not even hold that.

A mate of mine has an old q9550@2.8ghz which is faster than that i3 by a bit, he also has 4gb 1800mhz ram and gtx580 and he is averaging around 30-40 just to put it into perspective!!

I was wondering that same thing about my system. I play DayZ it runs fine some days and like crap other days. My computer is about 4 years old but i upgraded my graphics card a few months back.

Mine is a HP the model # is p6130y, AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core 2.40 GHz, 8 GB RAM Windows vista 64-bit, Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti. Its nothing special but any tips on helping me run DayZ better?

I was wondering that same thing about my system. I play DayZ it runs fine some days and like crap other days. My computer is about 4 years old but i upgraded my graphics card a few months back.

Mine is a HP the model # is p6130y' date=' AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core 2.40 GHz, 8 GB RAM Windows vista 64-bit, Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti. Its nothing special but any tips on helping me run DayZ better?

[/quote']

Get a better processor. Like a quadcore 3.1GHz or more

AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core 2.40 GHz' date=' 8 GB RAM Windows vista 64-bit, Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti. Its nothing special but any tips on helping me run DayZ better?

[/quote']

I got the same CPU,4gb ram & 6870 GPU.Game runs fine here,i guess you need some tweaking like posted here:

http://pastebin.com/F7Q8Ne2i at least try it

Also: Get Win7x64,it's a lot better than Vista

it runs fine some days

Game runs fine here

Define running fine? What fps do you get and what settings are you using?

Just interested to know.

I dont know what frames per sec om running dont know how to tell? All i know is some servers i can play on and others i cant to much lag.

The intel Graphics chip is a big no no! I had that and i could not run the game at all! I was about 1 fps if that, I recently upgraded to the Radeon 6870! Runs like a beast now on near maxed settings with a Intel Pentium Dual core E5700 3.0ghz :3

Define running fine? What fps do you get and what settings are you using?

Just interested to know.

around 45fps in the woods and 30fps in citys' date='with some dips here and there tho.

setting on this screen

http://www.xup.in/dl,51384242/options.jpg/

[/quote']

Right,first of all I'd recommend these settings for you to try to hopefully bring your average fps up a bit..

visibility=2000(absolutely no need to set it higher than this for day-z, most servers cap to 1600 anyways. 10k will rape any system. Only reason you can run with 10k I reckon is that as I said, it's prob capped serverside.)

texture detail=very high

video memory=default

anisotropic filtering=very high(won't have any performance hit really)

antialiasing=Disabled(frees up some much needed fps, use fxaa or smaa instead for zero performance hit.)

Terrain detail=Normal(might give you 1-2 fps back)

OBJECT DETAIL=normal or low, for your rig I'd recommend low(this has the biggest impact on performance. I play with that set to normal. setting it to low doesn't really look a whole pile different, only changes grass and bush density clutter and LOD switching distance. Dropping from normal to low can give you anything from 5-10fps back depending on system and what's happening in game at the time)

shadows=very high

HDR=very high(yea noticed no hit, nor did any of my friends from having this on v.high rather than normal.)

Post processing=Very high(same as hdr, never noticed any hit between very high and disabled. Looks 100 times nicer at very high rather than disabled.)

vsync=On or off doesn't seem to cause or gain any performance loss. Only really necessary to enable it if you are getting over 60fps most of the time.)

Adding -winxp to the startup parameters helps performance slightly for me, but maybe that's an SLI only thing? Worth checking out though.

My personal opinion is just build your own. Save 30% and get far more better computer when building one on your own. I did mine. It costs Over 2000 euros if i would buy it directly from store. Now ive just spended max 1300€ for it :)

Yea building your own saves costs but I still can't imagine getting a rig to play this at any sort of acceptable performance/quality for $500

I just recently built my current rig(the one in my sig) and it cost around 3000 euros and I still have to set AA=disabled, terrain detail=high and object detail=normal, with visibility=2000 @ 1920x1080 and I even get drops in cherno from 60 to around 48-50 with a lot of things going on :(

Solid 60 everywhere else though.

Sure I could max everything, AA included and get over 30fps all the time, but I like to have it running at 60fps as the difference in smoothness is night and day between 60 and 30.

Problem is the arma 2 engine is a beast to run and not very well optimised at all.