Sign in to follow this  
voodooactual

Voodoo's Tips, tricks and Helpful stuff v1.5

Right, I know there is an amazing guide for new players out there by Demondred6/Bones, and I'm going to write up a little bit of stuff just to get my voice out :P

Some of these may be the same/similar, but.. They need to be known by players either way!

This is split into chapters, them being -

I - EXTREME BASICS

II - NAVIGATION

III - STARTING WEAPONRY

IV - SUPPLIES AND BACKPACKS

V - THE MEDICAL SYSTEM

VI - TIPS

VII - GLOSSARY/LANGUAGE

I - EXTREME BASICS - You join the game. You load & spawn, and you're on a coast. Welcome to Chernarus, a shithole infested with zombies, but you're about to have some of the most thrilling, sometimes frustrating but ultimately brilliant times of your gaming life on this island. You're going to meet awesome guys who'll save you from the hordes, share their last can of beans with you, and fight everything you figt, and you'll meet people who'll shoot you in the legs, steal your beans, let the horde munch you to death and then creep away unseen. You will grow, don't worry. You'll learn the game, and you'll become a grizzled veteran like the rest of us.

You'll start with the extreme basics, 2 tins of beans, a canteen, some basic medical necessities, some flares, a Makarov 9mm pistol with 6 rounds and an 8 slot Coyote Patrol Pack. Looking to the bottom right, you'll see a face, showing your Humanity. Underneath that, you'll see a Canteen shape, and under that you'll see a can of beans shape. I'll explain in the glossary. Only eat and drink when they flash red, you can do this by using the scroll menu, and selecting "Eat food" or "Drink Water" respectively. If you don't eat/drink, or don't have any food, then you'll begin to bleed (explained in the medical section)

Priorities at the spawn -

1) Accurately find out where you are via landmarks.

2) Upgrade Weaponry

2) Avoid PVP if possible (for now)

3) Go survive (and continue reading this :D)

NAVIGATION -

First things first, you can't go anywhere if you don't know where you are. Simple rules I follow are (at least, when you spawn in at the south coast, as most people do)

If you keep the coast to your left, you're going west.

Keep the coast to your right, you're going east.

Before you head off, check around. If you hear flies buzzing around, there's a dead survivor close, meaning there's a chance there's something worthwhile for you to take. If your lucky enough to find someone, firstly, be careful. Whatever killed him, probably won't be afraid to kill you.

STARTING WEAPONRY -

The biggest mistake a lot of people make is heading off into Chernogorsk, Berezino, Elektrozavodsk or any other PVP hotspot without a care in the world. I mean, you're welcome to do so, and I'm sure the infected would love to chew on your corpse when you either a) Get Sniped by Mr 1337C0DN0SC0p£zMLGPR0 or b) Get swarmed by a horde. The Makarov you get at the start will hold it's own against a few aggressors, but come by 5-6+ zombies, and you're in a tight spot unless you're a hotshot. I'd personally head to the nearest barn, Where if you're lucky, you may find one of these weapons -

CZ 550 - Bolt Action Sniper, Brilliant for PVP, Inconvinient for Zombies

Winchester 1866 - Brilliant for Zombies, OK for PVP - GET THIS.

Lee Enfield - Great for PVP, Never use this on Zombies.

My reasonings for these are as follows

CZ 550 is a fairly common rifle, and it's got an 8x Scope, so you've got the advantage over another player, should you wish to end his survivng of the zombie apocolypse á lá hole in the head. But, fire it anywhere near a city, or by anything actually, you're going to get heard by a zombie or a horde of his friends, and any local survivors/bandits. If you find a nice Backpack, then by all means, store it for a rainy day.

Winchester 1866. What isn't good about this rifle? The ammo is INCREDIBLY common, so much you'd think John Wayne must've moved to Chernarus. This weapon has almost unmatched versitility at this "level" of playing, as you can switch between Slugs and Pellets. Slugs make the winchester act as a rifle, meaning zombies drop dead in one slug within about 150~ meters. Attract a horde accidently? Switch to pellets, whilst you may not kill all of them, the spread will hit a large number of them, doing you a favour. Oh, and to boot, it has 15 rounds to one set of your chosen ammo. So, realistically, you can carry up to around 135 shots for your Winchester, without even needing a backpack (which, if needed, you could store even more in). Works decent in PVP, but due to it being a lever action Semi Automatic, you're going to have to get a quick shot or be lucky and hit the head, as it can be a little tempremental.

Lee Enfield. Ah, the old faithful. I don't mean to knock the gun in honesty, as it's a brilliant rifle, and it's never failed me as yet but.. man, you could probably hear this thing from the border of the next country if you fired it. Whilst being an extremely damaging rifle (Drops Zombies/Players in one shot within a decent range), the noise ruins it's effectiveness. It can hold 10 bullets to a clip, meaning you only have a maximum of 10 kills before you need to reload, not so great if you've got a brain hungry horde on your tail.

SUPPLIES, LOOTING AND BACKPACKS -

Supplies are essential. Supplies are the second thing you look for, and what pretty much drives ALL objectives of DayZ. You want nice stuff right? You've gotta take the risk to go and get it. Remember one simple equation -

Risk VS Reward.

Ok, so, you're at the North West Airfield (A very hot PVP area), but you know for a fact there is a downed Huey with an M107 Sniper Rifle in there, and you'd love an M107. Buuut, the risk of getting that, is probably outweighed. I mean, with this game, the goal is to think of your long term more than your short term. I'm not trying to confuse you here, but think realistically - Yeah, it's awesome to be able to drop someone at 800m and leave them as a fine pink mist by a .50 to the face, but, You lose your back pack because the guns too large to carry with one, therefore, if you're by yourself, It's probably not an amazing idea for your long term success to carry one. So, You still want the M107? go for it then. But think, if you wanted to kill people going for that rifle, where would you hide? Because, at least at the airfield, there's a good chance anyone from your average Joe with a winchester, Your Wannabe Mr C0d pr0 with his CZ 550, or a clever bandit who knows people are going to be there, eyeing the target up with his M24. Having some decent stuff for as long as you want is better than holding one very nice thing for 3 seconds.

When it comes to back packs, the pack I'd go for straight away is the All-purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment pack, or, as it's known simple, the ALICE pack. It has 24 slots, meaning if required, you could carry a second weapon with you and your looting abilities wouldn't be hindered so much. Pretty much anything is a step up from your 8 slot Coyote Patrol Pack, but the big hitter and the cream of the crop is the Coyote Backpack.

THE MEDICAL SYSTEM -

TIPS -

Tip 1 - Trust nobody but yourself. This is fundemental. Now, I'm not saying everyone is a murderer, but.. As the Americans say, "Be Polite, Be Professional, and have a plan to kill everyone you meet". Trust only goes so far, and greed is a key factor in this game when it comes to bonding.

Tip 2 - Keep your friends close, and your gun closer. The goal if this mod is for YOU to survive. The mod allows you do this by your own means, but either way, If you do make friends, or have clan mates, keep them close, but be willing to have to save them and hope they pay you in kind one day. Remember, There can be many nice weapon spawns, but only once can you keep an ally before he distrusts you - if you did it once, what's to say you won't do it again?

Tip 3 - Be concise and clear. This goes to most aspects of the game, for I'll tell you what it really counts in -

PLANNING - Remember the 7 P's. Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance. Imagine the scenario, your at Chernogorsk, and your buddy John Smith got popped by a bandit, needs some blood pretty urgently as his vision is the equivalent of 1940's TV. Sprinting straight to the hospital, popping open the windows with your revolver, looting through the boxes.. Nah, that isn't going to work, unless your overall aim was to leave poor John to watch the Zed's maul your nooby corpse. Try sneaking around, Try picking the zombies off, anything, just don't go in headstrong unless you know you have the weaponry/skill to kill them without killing yourself/risking your friends.

Shooting - Zombies.. Simple, aim for the head. Whilst this can be difficult when they're sprinting, but back pedal and they'll hesitate when they attack, then you strike. By aiming for the head, you get a kill. If you can't do that, hit the legs, he'll have to crawl.

Players - Head again, but be careful. I mean that, CAREFUL. Aim for the head if you want the kill, but Makarov won't aid you here, so I'd tool up. If anything, pop a round in their leg, and let someone else do the job for you.

Tip 4 - Rushing is 9/10 bad for you. Most mistakes are made by poor plans, or a failure to stick to them. If I go and raid a supermarket, I don't hesitate because I know I have to get in their, kill the zombies, loot and leave. I know the route I'm taking to get in, simply because I looked for about 20 seconds before I ran off. Also,

Now, this is pretty shoddy, but I'm hungering for some gameplay so I'll sort this soon :P

All the best.

-V

GLOSSARY/LANGUAGE -

BANDIT - A player who has murdered other players, with a changed skin of a German Desert KSK soldier.

CHERNO/ELEKTRO - Chernogorsk, And Elektrozavodsk, the two largest cities in Chernarus

AGGRO'ED - Grabbing the attention of a zombie/multiple zombies

LOOT - Spawnable items the player can take, such as food & weaponry

BEREZINO - Largest city on the eastern coast, North east of the center, very spread out. (Kolchak)

CHANGE LOG V1.5

ADDED GLOSSARY

ADDED SUBSECTIONS

ADDED MORE INFORMATION

ADDED NAVIGATIONAL SKILLS

ADDED WEAPONRY CHOICES

-Need to finish Backpack/supplies

-Need to Finsih Medical System

-Possibly impliment PVP awareness.

Planning - Remember the 7 P's. Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

My favourite DayZ quote so far. Awaiting your update before I make a more critical analysis of the guide. Looks promising so far.

Thanks for the kind words :D I have quite a bit more to add, but with an exam tomorrow and some revision to do I'll most likely get quite a bit more done tomorrow. Sucks I can't format it so well as the buttons for Bold text etc seem to be a bit broken for me.

I've left some paragraphs unfinished/not done, but I've added a lot more, hence the v1.5 :D

Added mate, I'd also love suggestions for the glossary, as without going into extreme detail It's as much as I can think of.

I've left some paragraphs unfinished/not done' date=' but I've added a lot more, hence the v1.5 :D

[/quote']

Lee Enfields do not have a magazine of 5 rounds?

I've left some paragraphs unfinished/not done' date=' but I've added a lot more, hence the v1.5 :D

[/quote']

Well, possibly 10 then, still crap.

[/quote']

Thats your opinion.

And always glad to help people with their guides and getting appreciation for that.

[/quote']

Thats your opinion.

And always glad to help people with their guides and getting appreciation for that.

Apologies, I have a lot going on IRL, not the greatest of moods. Your input was helpful, as evidently you pointed out a mistake which could throw off some new players, thank you :D

No problems, if you spot any mistakes, feel free to tell him via here or PM! going to finsih off the two sections I left undone now, so check back for v2.0 :P