akin

Please bring back global chat!

Ever since global chat went away, my enjoyment of this game has been diminishing.

It used to be that you could talk with folks, and eventually start to make friends and have others to play with. There used to be half a dozen different people that played around the same times as I did, on the same group of servers, and we got to the point where we would meet up with each other when I'd log on...

That's all gone, now. Sure, maybe it would have been smart to set up alternate ways to communicate with those folks... but that's not the point.

It's basically impossible to get to know anyone now... the only way to communicate is if you're close, and if you're close to someone, if you stop to type, you're dead. The player-killers have ensured that everyone has been brought down to their level out of pure survival instinct... cooperation really isn't possible any more.

The only groups out there are using some out-of-game method of communicating, and when you meet one, you'd better hide because they will murder you the instant they see you. There's just no way to make a group of your own from within the game any more...

I'm not sure if voice chat is even working again, since I've never heard anyone use it. I haven't bothered to hook up my headset to try it again (my surround sound speakers are just too useful to give up!)... if it is working, though, would it really be any better? The game has devolved into a universal shoot-on-sight deathmatch... something I'm frankly not interested in.

Sure, there were always bandits, but you could make friends and group up to face the perils of the world together. Now, unless you have folks from outside the game that you play with, you're always alone, and there's no longer any debating about whether or not someone's trustworthy or anything... it's hide, run, or be murdered.

I suppose if the intent is to make this a deathmatch game, well, it's succeeding, and I'll be moving on. While I've always loved online shooters, since the days of Quake... I've always played team games... deathmatch free-for-alls have always bored me.

Anyways, sorry for rambling, but please, bring back global chat!