Sign in to follow this  
Jmurphy101

DAYZ freezing during server load after new internet on Xbox Series X

Question

Posted (edited)

I have seen this issue multiple times on here and reddit with no resolution. When trying to join a server in Dayz the countdown will start and the loading bar will appear. When the countdown is done and the loading bar is around 25% complete the game will freeze on the blurred out character screen. There are a few RARE circumstances where the character will actually load into the server, but we load in completely desynced, even getting the character to load in requires constant restarting of the game.

We recently upgraded to At&t Internet Air using an All-fi Hub. We get anywhere from 120-300 mbps download and around 40mbps upload average PING is between 20-40. Our old internet was At&t Internet 10 which was awful. We got 11mbps for a few seconds and then kbps and it switched back and forth. Ping was awful on old internet. The old internet ran off a phone cable whereas this new internet is true wifi and connects you to a cell tower for 5G internet. Despite this, we were able to play Dayz on old internet with occasional lag and issues during congested hours, but playable.

My wife loves this game, it's the only thing she plays, she is involved with the community servers she plays in and now its been ripped away from her. I have done hours of EXTENSIVE troubleshooting trying to get this game to work with no success. I will list the methods I have gone through below.

NAT is Open

Ports are forwarded

Internet is strong and Ping is good.

--

The following methods of troubleshooting have been completed with no success:

Clearing Xbox cache, game save data, account save data, and all cloud-saved data.

deleting and reinstalling DayZ

Hard and soft reset of Xbox

clearing xbox MAC address and ensuring we have static IP address for Xbox

Port forwarding for xbox and common DayZ ports. I have used every available website and forum entry I could find to locate ports for this.

Playing on a different console

We still had some time left on our old internet so I hooked up the old router, made sure I could connect using several different devices and tried playing again on it, now it doesn't even work, so we can't even go back to our old internet.

MTU is currently 1430 (the old router was 1500, which was the only difference between settings other than connection type.) I CAN NOT change this. The router settings will not let me.

Messed around with IP address, MAC address, Gateway address.

I have (briefly mind you) messed around with firewall settings just to make sure they weren't blocking anything.

Tried IPV6 on and off.

Messed with Dayz Menu settings. All of them, FOV, Aim assist, any option that could be enabled, disabled, or changed, i have tried it.

Soft and hard reset the router, restored to factory conditions.

Tried MAC filtering between 2.4 and 5ghz.

Tried IP passthrough and allocation and packet filtering changes

Made sure everything was up to date: Xbox, Wifi router, DayZ

Tried playing with and without Livonia installed.

I have tried a wired and wireless connection with Xbox. keep in mind though, this router has no cable. It connects wirelessly to a cell tower. I have no broadband, fiber, or phone cable that runs to the router.

I HAVE CONTACTED MY ISP and they said they can't see anything wrong on their end. They said it must have something to do with the game's servers. Especially because this is the only game that does this. Every other online game works and runs fine with no issues.

Honestly, there are probably a few other things I have tried that I can't think of.

--

Cloud Gaming worked, but it's awful and practically unplayable

Now here's the weird thing that I saw several people posted. They were able to use their phone's mobile hotspot and join the server. This also worked for me. I used hotspot and was able to load right in but hotspot data gets eaten up like crazy so it isn't sustainable unless you only wanna play for an hour or 2 per month.

I think that's crazy because my phone is At&t 5G which uses a cell tower and it works. But my internet which is At&t 5G and uses a cell tower...doesn't work.

I have seen so many posts similar to this one and there are no solutions and rarely any DEV feedback. The most common feedback is to contact the ISP because it's something with them, but neither myself no the ISP can find the issue because this is the ONLY game that has this problem. Unfortunately for me it's the only game my wife plays.

I have poured through these forums, reddit, some weird places and tried every potential solution/suggestion that was offered. This is increasingly frustrating because I can usually figure stuff like this out. I try to be very thorough. I truly believe this has something to do with DayZ and how it communicates.

Any insight or suggestions are appreciated but DEV feedback would be great.

Edited by Jmurphy101

1 answer to this question

My friend, you have thoroughly explained the exact problem I've been fighting for about three months now. I contacted their "support" when it first occurred. After having me try the most basic of things their official answer was "I don't know." After update 1.24 it got to where I could at least log in and play now, but the latency is ridiculous. Like if I try to open a barrel I will desync and have to stand there for up to two minutes before the game catches up and the barrel opens. Then I can play for about three to five minutes before I desync again. I can't even join official because there's no way to fight that way, and on my PVE private server I cant leave my base because desync every couple minutes is a guaranteed death sentence if I desync without realizing it and don't actually know I'm being attacked by infected...