pupkin (DayZ)

Zed's can alert you that a murderer is nearby by smelling blood from his clothes

Here's a nice idea about "the smell of blood" on mass murderers clothes. I also suggest that Zed's will start to make more roar and look more aware when they smell such a player nearby! It will make much more sense than a heartbeat, cause it won't give you murderer's exact location, but still can warn you. This idea is not giving disadvantage to the bandits, because you still cannot "see" another player's humanity directly. More than that, this "alerted" zeds in the area will make "bandit hunting" much more difficult. Sometimes, angry zeds will slay you instead of bandit who managed to hide well.

Like, i'm going to loot a barn, than see that zed's around is already in "awareness mode". So now i know that there's a bandit nearby, or he was here short time ago. "Blood Smell" must leave its "trail" for couple minutes, and zeds will (optionally) start searching in that direction. Also, player can "wash" the clothes at the water sources (so there will be a nice bandit vs bandit action near these places). It also will give the bandits more fun and drive, not simply "kill, loot, damn now i'm bored, disconnect".

Guys, sorry for bad english, i know i need to practice more.

(idea is based on this topic http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=14428 )

This is essentially a punishment for bandits as it will make looting more difficult/dangerous for them. Therefore, they'll just continue to shoot everyone in sight in order to get supplies. Besides, most of the times I've been killed by bandits there haven't been zombies nearby.

Buff survivors; don't punish bandits.

Through this, killing people will still be easy, but looting their bodies may become much harder, because of zeds that will come to investigate new blood.

This is essentially a punishment for bandits as it will make looting more difficult/dangerous for them.

I agree, but keep in mind that playing as a bandit is already MUCH more easier than to be a fellow survivor. Also i mentioned the ability to wash clothes after every kill, maybe even with water bottles. It's not punishment, but a new variable in game mechanics (at this time i find the mechanics too simple). Killing and looting will still be an easier way to obtain best items. And innocent players killing wild animals for food can smell with blood too.

And that idea is pretty realistic too. After the infection, Zeds are now wild animals, a carnivores.

Through this' date=' killing people will still be easy, but looting their bodies may become much harder, because of zeds that will come to investigate new blood.

[hr']

This is essentially a punishment for bandits as it will make looting more difficult/dangerous for them.

I agree' date=' but keep in mind that playing as a bandit is already MUCH more easier than to be a fellow survivor. Also i mentioned the ability to wash clothes after every kill, maybe even with water bottles. It's not punishment, but only a change in mechanics. Innocent players killing wild animals for food can smell with blood too.

And that idea is pretty realistic too. After the infection, Zeds are now wild animans, a carnivores.

[/quote']

In what scenario do you envision a bandit killing a player and then being able to leisurely loot their body while there are zombies around? The rounds fired in the kill likely agro'd any nearby zombies anyway, so they'll have to be put down before the body can be looted. That will pretty much negate any extra zombie attraction.

I'm wary of anybody suggesting a "smell" dynamic for the game. It just isn't something that can be communicated to players naturally. In the game you can hear things and see things, but you can't smell things. Wondering whether zombies will be able to smell you just isn't an intuitive dynamic.

Yes, it's easier to play as a bandit now. But that's only because there are currently more rewards for doing so. Give survivors some tangible benefits for playing that way and things will even out. No need to punish bandits.

Ok you got this zeds down, looted the corpse, then go and wash your clothes (and be careful as now every zed nearby will know you're coming), if you don't do this, you'll attract even more zeds in the future. And "server hop" is not going to be an option as this smell will travel with you. That's my logic. More future responsibility for your actions. And yes, this IS a bandit skin replacement. And i tell you why it is the only way: There is NO way to buff good players. As in the real life. Where carnivores and scavengers smelling blood is common.

Ok maybe that's not a necassary addition. But i still think that it will work.

Only if they alert me to your presence because they can smell your salty tears and soppy wet vagina.

Only if they alert me to your presence because they can smell your salty tears and soppy wet vagina.

Agreed. QQ more about Bandits. It makes it that much more satisfying when we kill you and hide your body with all your loot on it just because you're a whiner and it was fun to kill you.

Look guys, i'm not a whiner. I shoot on sight too. But this just feels wrong. Kill and you'll be rewarded than server hop and repeat, or be a good suivivor and you'll be 100% killed. No society means NO ways to buff good players. Bandits are OP now and you'll have to face it. Also, this childish insults means nothing to me as an adult man.

P.S. Who ever said that i want to totally remove killing fun from the game? no way! Just to do something with this f**king metagame that's ruining other players' fun.

And i NEVER D/C when i got shot. But my victims are ;)

Look guys' date=' i'm not a whiner. I shoot on sight too. But this just feels wrong. Kill and you'll be rewarded than server hop and repeat, or be a good suivivor and you'll be 100% killed. No society means NO ways to buff good players. Bandits are OP now and you'll have to face it. Also, this childish insults means nothing to me as an adult man.[/quote']This game isn't about having a force-fed karma system. If you want to be a "good survivor", then it's purely for your own sake. The game does not, nor is it meant to, give a fuck about how "good or evil" you're being. So yeah, of course this means it's going to be easier to be a bandit. That's just life.

If you want a karma system that makes sure that both the good and bad options are equally rewarding, go play Mass Effect; go play an Elderscrolls game; go play Fallout*. Go play one of dozens of games out there with artificially-infused karma systems. Day Z is not about forced morality for the sake of arbitrary rewards attached to a given play-style. This game is about survival. If your lives are part of what's keeping the average life span down to only 30 minutes, then you aren't a good survivor.

As for "no society", there's only no society because you choose to let there be no society. Plenty of players have banded together for the sake of helping each other out; for the sake of griefing other people; even for the sake of helping others. There's plenty of society in Day Z, it isn't Day Z's nor Rocket's fault if you choose to specifically stick to lone wolf gameplay. If you want society, get friends to play the game, or head to the Survivor HQ forum that's in place specifically for other players to team-up. What you shouldn't do is propose that Day Z be re-tooled into something it was never meant to be just to suit to your own personal play-style.

*Just for the record, I love all the games listed, not bashing on them in any way, shape, or form. Just saying that Day Z isn't going for the same style of system that these games use. So if you want that kind of system in place, go play those games.

dick

• Like 1

dick

Well' date=' he's right. People need to stop flocking to the forums like a bunch of pathetic children. Rocket isn't your daddy, and he isn't going to talk to the parent's of the kid who beat you up (aka: patching-in morality systems or other anti-bandit systmes). This game is not, and never will, hold the player's hand. If you want to solve the problem of bandits, work with other players and [i']solve the problem of bandits.

This game is purely about PvP interaction; and that means players working together to kill known bandits just as much as it is about players sitting on the sidelines of popular destinations to snipe anyone they see. What this game is NOT about is implementing bullshit artificial rewards and punishments to encourage one play-style over another.

dick

Well' date=' he's right. People need to stop flocking to the forums like a bunch of pathetic children. Rocket isn't your daddy, and he isn't going to talk to the parent's of the kid who beat you up (aka: patching-in morality systems or other anti-bandit systmes). This game is not, and never will, hold the player's hand. If you want to solve the problem of bandits, work with other players and [i']solve the problem of bandits.

This game is purely about PvP interaction; and that means players working together to kill known bandits just as much as it is about players sitting on the sidelines of popular destinations to snipe anyone they see. What this game is NOT about is implementing bullshit artificial rewards and punishments to encourage one play-style over another.

Are you really defending the comment ZedsDeadBaby made? While I don't agree with OP's idea, he's simply sharing a suggestion. ZDB came in here any started throwing around misogynistic insults. Can't we just have a level-headed discussion about gameplay suggestions without it degenerating into this? Be nice, folks.

Are you really defending the comment ZedsDeadBaby made? While I don't agree with OP's idea' date=' he's simply sharing a suggestion. ZDB came in here any started throwing around misogynistic insults. Can't we just have a level-headed discussion about gameplay suggestions without it degenerating into this? Be nice, folks.

Oh, so we're gonna play the "Let's Quote Rocket" game? Because I can play that game, too. In fact, I can probably pull-up more quotes in support of telling people to quite bitching about the PvP in the game.

Also, note that I didn't say that I agree with his wording, just that he's right about people needing to stop being babies. Could he have worded it in a less vulgar way? Perhaps, but that doesn't change the fact that he isn't wrong.

Are you really defending the comment ZedsDeadBaby made? While I don't agree with OP's idea' date=' he's simply sharing a suggestion. ZDB came in here any started throwing around misogynistic insults. Can't we just have a level-headed discussion about gameplay suggestions without it degenerating into this? Be nice, folks.

Oh, so we're gonna play the "Let's Quote Rocket" game? Because I can play that game, too. In fact, I can probably pull-up more quotes in support of telling people to quite bitching about the PvP in the game.

Also, note that I didn't say that I agree with his wording, just that he's right about people needing to stop being babies. Could he have worded it in a less vulgar way? Perhaps, but that doesn't change the fact that he isn't wrong.

I'm glad that we agree he perhaps could have worded that response in a less vulgar way.

I wasn't disagreeing with you regarding telling the OP to chin up a bit. I only linked to rocket's post for his request to stop eating each other alive on the forums. Sure, he's told people to stop complaining so much about the unforgiving nature of the game. But at least he does so without being a raging asshole to other people (in reference to ZDB's comment, not yours).

You didn't agree with his wording, okay. But you responded by someone calling him out as being a dick in a way that made it seem as if you were defending him.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you. This game is death, killing, and survival of the fittest. Can't we at least try to be civil on the forums? That's the only point I was trying to make.

You didn't agree with his wording' date=' okay. But you responded by someone calling him out as being a dick in a way that made it seem as if you were defending him.

[/quote']

That would be the problem with single-word replies. No way of knowing if the reply was to call him out for being inappropriate or for negating the topic at-hand. In any case, you'll notice that at no point in my reply to said call-out did I say anything in support of misogyny. ;P

Ok i got the point. Try to recreate society by team-up is nice, but have you ever tried to play on russian servers? This is pure chaos. Constant killings. I already solved this problem for myself by playing only on Eu servers, but it still feels wrong, and means more lag. And again, i'm not talking about karma that will stay with you forever, go wash and you're nice. Its simple. And i wasnt meaning that if you kill someone, you always get the horde on you. Just more active zeds as subtle warning for a lone smart player.

Think for a second about how (Supposedly Good) people do bad things all the time and how someone you might perceive as (inherently Bad) is actually more considerate and thoughtful of others and not as evil as you thought.

This is "Life" as a "Survivor" in a Zombie apocolypse and it requires you to interact with those around you and make decisions using Critical thinking. If a system is implemented that marks you as good or evil it removes this important aspect of the game. You might initially think that something like this will improve the game, only to find out in the end that it does not. Such is life. Please enjoy Rockets' little piece of "Life" as a "Survivor" in a Zombie apocolypse. Because whether you choose to play friendly or cold blooded killer you're doing it right if you're "Surviving". 0

Edited by Southpaw

King of the slippery hill. Bandits get better loot which help them kill newbies more easily. And since they're murderers, they don't hesitate to kill people who are already less well-armed than they are. While it's nice that players can be nice to each other, murderers are always at an advantage.

There's also an interesting element of disengagement here. In real life, killing people isn't something people do for fun. It's a psychological condition. In the game world, the lack of risk encourages some outright sociopathic behavior. So it's interesting to see people defend the realism of the game on one hand and then turn around and ignore the gravity of such a situation on the other.

We already keep track of murders in the game and there used to be a humanity meter in the original version. There should be something to keep track of how much of a monster the character you play in the game world has become because, in the game world, that's who you are -- a monster. You're not a dude sitting behind your keyboard tallying up scores in the debug monitor, you're a plague on society, a member of the greatest threat to civilization.

It'd be interesting if bandits were constantly surrounded by the buzzing of flies, though. But not actual flies, just flies in their heads while they experience mental snapping and go insane from their crazed killing sprees.