ApeAsylum

Framerate Slow on Alienware M14X

Hey guys

I have an Alienware M14X Laptop which can play battlefield on Medium/high settings, but it seems that i cant play the DayZ Mod at all. The frames are hitting 5-10 fps (estimated) with very low graphics settings.

Have you guys got any idea on how i can get the frames upto 60 fps? it baffles me why i can play every other game on high but not this one.

cheers

Sam

Here is my spec

Alienware M14X - Stealth Black with Soft Touch Finish

Intel Core i7 2670QM 2.2GHz (2.9GHz Turbo Mode, 6M cache)

6GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz

14.0 High Def+ (900p/1600x900)

3.0GB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M using NVIDIA Optimus technology

750GB 7200RPM SATA 3GB/s

Besides the GT 555m which is..Well I guess is decent for Mobile. Your fine. Have you tried updating all your drivers? Maybe try reducing some settings to low/med? This game has alot of Draw range. So I'd consider it a bit more taxing on a rig compared to BF3 at points.

Yeah the frame rate does not improve at all if i knock the settings down to very low, so it leads me to believe its not the graphics.

its consistently shit, but does tend to get worse when im in a town

so does this only happen with Nvidia cards?

Nah, I have a ATI Radeon HD 6750. I think it is my crappy motherboard. It slows down my WD HDD. And the way Arma II is coded makes it all go to hell. ( I think)

I haven't had any fps issues yet... the odd spike now and then, but nothing serious.

DayZ seems to be one of those odd ones where people can have a really good spec, but then someone with a lower spec will get better results.

My spec is ok, but nothing amazing and I get great performance in DayZ and haven't even needed to lower the settings at all.

HDD: 1TB Sata

Mobo: Acer G43T-M

CPU: Intel Q8300 quad 2.9

RAM: 6GB

Gfx: Gainward GT440 1gb ddr5

Cooling: Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 Rev 2

PSU: Corsair 500w

Connection: 80mbps down 20mbps up

i had a go on it last night and it seems my FPS was fine running at very high. my laptop battery was having some issues charging and when i got in from work last night the battery was fully charged (which hasn't been the case for the last week) i did override the power management with my own whilst it was plugged in but it seems that it may have been my battery. Also the server i was in it was not raining. i haven't tested this fully but it may be the rain that makes the frame drop.

But before i ran Dayz i ran Arma2 in single player and the FPS was fine. Then i opened combined operations and went onto Dayz and it was running smoothly. Its a mystry, but i had a good session last night so that me happy :D

laptops with dedicated gfx suck cuz you always gotta turn the dedicated card on LOL

I have the new Alienware m14x r2 and I only get around 20 to 25 fps. PLEAAASEEE HELP!!!!! I have 16gb of ram and a 2gb gt 650m graphics card. I'm pretty su these specs can run this game , so idk what's going on.