MasterMace

Character Recovery

Is there any way to recover my character?

I have 2 drives, a SSD with my OS, and a HDD with my Steam folder and arma 2/dayz folders. After reinstalling windows and logging back in, my character is MIA. I tried verifying my ARMA 2 file in steam and it does nothing. I'm told that the characters are bound to your key. Why is it then that I don't have my character? How do I get it back?

It is bound to your unique ID in arma. What do you mean you "Lost your character"? Your arma name is different or when you join a server you have a different character?

The player profile list when you back out to the game menu lists out your "characters". The first is naturally the default, I had created a 2nd profile to make a different name than the default. This profile is not there. MIA = Missing in action.

I'll take your suggestion into consideration ponc, but I'm going to need quite a few more people to tell me that before I delete such vital files.

The player profile list when you back out to the game menu lists out your "characters". The first is naturally the default' date=' I had created a 2nd profile to make a different name than the default. This profile is not there. MIA = Missing in action.

I'll take your suggestion into consideration ponc, but I'm going to need quite a few more people to tell me that before I delete such vital files.

[/quote']

Your profile is not linked to your CD key, and therefore your character will persist regardless of what profile you are using. Is your character gone or is your profile gone? Massive difference. :)

All your profile does for DayZ is keep track of your current in-game name, controls, and other audio/video/game settings. Like chrispow said, it has nothing to do with your persistent DayZ character, other then the name people see you as when in game. Otherwise all your gear, location, etc is stored on a central server.

Many thanks for the replies. I shall recreate the profile and check if my character is missing.

I thank you guys for fully reading my post and realizing I never stated I logged into the character, so as to be safe in the event that it was reversible. I should have made that distinction.