Sign in to follow this  
The_Gasman

A Better, More Functional Tourist Map

Sorry if this has been mentioned, maybe my search skills are trash, but this is one of my chief complaints right now. I'm not much for using tools like iZurvive outside of keeping plots for coordinated friend groups or clans, I like to use as many in game tools as I can (compass, map, GPS, stars, etc) and I believe this is in the spirit of the survival side of the game. The city names being pure white against a white background make them impossible to read. At least give them a bezel, or a different color altogether.

And while we're at it, I lament the loss of pens and notes, because it would be nice if we could mark our tourist maps. As it stands, if I wanted to forego the use of third party solutions like iZurvive, I have to keep a physical piece of paper with coordinates, which is fine but map markings would be a bit more immersive. On the other hand, I could also just buy the Chernarus DayZ map, a piece of laminate, and a grease pen, but since I know these features I'm asking for are not a stretch to code and have been implemented in Op Flash/Arma for a long time, it would be nice to see them in DayZ.

Whether or not you want to make annotated maps viewable by other players is up to the designer's vision and intent, but even if it's just client side, I would be okay with that, too.

Thanks for reading this.

• Like 1

This topic has been posted numerous times by myself as well as others.

The Tourist Map functionality, presentation and controls have come a long way since initial console launch.

Old Tourist Map:

• Clunky and Choppy controls to move map position or to zoom in/out
  • Hard to read town names and no other POIs
  • No Map Key/Legend
  • No interactive capabilities 

NEW Tourist Map:

• Smooth controls for moving around the map and to zoom in/out
  • Easier to read items on map
  • Added icons to map for POIs like Hospitals and Police Stations
  • Still no Key/Legend for POIs
  • Added interactive features when coupled with:
    • 🧭 Compass: displays in real-time survivor’s orientation above Distance Key/Legend
    • 🌎 GPS: displays in real-time survivor’s 4 or 6 digit map coordinate based on zoom level along with altitude above sea level

IMO the next steps Bohemia should take to finish map functionality are:

1. Allow us to mark maps with grease pencils or markers to:
    • Plan routes
    • Mark our own Points of Interest
  2. Enlarge existing POI icons + have a toggle to display a Tourist Map Key/Legend of what each icons means, there’s still items I have no idea what they are

Links to previous Tourist Map suggestion threads I’m aware of, including my own:

Interactive Tourist Map + Grease Pencils

Please Make Console Tourist Maps Editable

I hope devs read these suggestions and make these suggestions possible in the future, I love using the tourist map now compared to before the GPS and Compass augmentations. It’s better for immersion and not having to rely on a third-party app/site like iZurvive that can be distracting and pull a player out of the game/moment.

• Like 1