Sign in to follow this  
Jyces

Suggestions to make a great game even...greater?

I just recently bought Arma 2, and immediately downloaded this MoD after hearing about it. It (the MoD) definitely makes this game a success for myself, and I'm sure many others. Props to the creators! I believe a player finds the biggest "flaws" in a game when first starting out. Here is a few things that stood out:

1) Zombies should not be able to climb up ladders, or swim in water.

2) As a new player, it is basically impossible to play with/find friends. I found myself often playing alone, even when my friends were on the same server - this was frustrating. (continued v)

3) Allows players to add one another as friends. Friends can then "invite to group", which would show one another the players direction, and distance (like in regular Arma 2).

4) Flag bandits (players who kill other players).

5) Start players out with a weapon. Not necessarily a Gun as I know this option was taken out not long ago, but at least an Axe, Knife or some sort of melee weapon. Starting fresh, you're practically defenceless against Bandits and the large hordes of Zombies.

6) Allow certain items, such as food or medical supplies, to stack to a certain number (5-10).

That is all I could think of at the moment, but I strongly believe these changes would improve game play drastically. I've played Dead Island, Left 4 Dead, CoD: Zombies, Dead Nation and a few others, and this definitely tops them all. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to future updates.

Edit: Point 6 added

I agree with no. 3 but I'm sure it's been suggested many a time. As for no. 5 they've taken away guns when you spawn for a reason.

I agree with no. 3 but I'm sure it's been suggested many a time. As for no. 5 they've taken away guns when you spawn for a reason.

I understand that they took out starting with a gun, and overall, I agree with that decision. Melee weapon however, is completely different. Though a knife may not be as superior as a gun, it gives you some protection rather than being defenceless.

It is not how to make the game greater, it is how to make a challenging game less challenging.

And yet I kinda agree with point 3, but could lead to abuse/loss of immersion.

This game is not meant for those who needs indicators to help them find their friends. You have to look around, identify yourself with the environment, learn the basic key locations. A good example would be, that if you spawn on the shore and see the lighthouse on an island, you're close to Elektrovodzak. Or something as simple as looking at the city sign names. If it's really that hard to find yourself, find a map online and use it to navigate.

Also, if you start out with a weapon, that would mean no direct learning the basic sneaking from the start. I'm pretty sure thats why Rocket removed the starter gun. Most people just ran around shooting everything. Sure this is an option, but not really ideal when you could sneak around the zombies.

As for the bandits thing, you can hear your heart beat faster and faster if you're nearby a player that has alot of murders.

It is not how to make the game greater' date=' it is how to make a challenging game less challenging.

And yet I kinda agree with point 3, but could lead to abuse/loss of immersion.

[/quote']

I'm not convinced that these changes would make the game less challenging to the point that it would be considered "easy mode". Realistically (lol), Zombies should not have the intelligence to properly climb a ladder, yet alone swim. Brains Brains Brains is the motto, right? ;)

This game is not meant for those who needs indicators to help them find their friends. You have to look around' date=' identify yourself with the environment, learn the basic key locations. A good example would be, that if you spawn on the shore and see the lighthouse on an island, you're close to Elektrovodzak. Or something as simple as looking at the city sign names. If it's really that hard to find yourself, find a map online and use it to navigate.

Also, if you start out with a weapon, that would mean no direct learning the basic sneaking from the start. I'm pretty sure thats why Rocket removed the starter gun. Most people just ran around shooting everything. Sure this is an option, but not really ideal when you could sneak around the zombies.

As for the bandits thing, you can hear your heart beat faster and faster if you're nearby a player that has alot of murders.

[/quote']

This game may currently not be meant for those who needs indicators, but regardless of the the fact, even if you were able to locate your friend you'd still have to learn the map/areas. Only difference is you'd be exploring it with a friend - which is nice.

As I previously mentioned, I agree with the decision of gun removal from inventory. With a melee weapon player would still have to sneak around hordes of Zombies, as I'm not sure an Axe, Sword or knife would be effective against a large number of Zombies. Having a gun would always give a player the upper hand, therefore it would still be optimal to find one.

Well thing is, the melee weapons instantly kill zombies (if you "aim" for the head), without any sound. And the zombies current AI seems too stupid to do anything else than funnel in through a building one by one, walking slowly. Perfect for you to chop them down one by one with minimal effort and risk.

Well thing is' date=' the melee weapons instantly kill zombies (if you "aim" for the head), without any sound. And the zombies current AI seems too stupid to do anything else than funnel in through a building one by one, walking slowly. Perfect for you to chop them down one by one with minimal effort and risk.

[/quote']

My experience with a melee weapon is that one does not simply head shot a Zombie. They're constantly moving, swinging and circling a player, which makes this task difficult. As for your concern about them funnelling through a building - this could be done regardless of whether you start with a melee weapon, or find one. I'd consider this more of a game glitch, over this being an issue of starting with a melee weapon.

As for the bandits thing' date=' you can hear your heart beat faster and faster if you're nearby a player that has alot of murders.

[/quote']

Tell me about it! :D

As for No.3, I think grouped bandits have enough of an advantage over individual players as it is. Death does not mean as much to them either. If a guy dies, they meet up, share equipment and after some time it's as-if the player didn't even die at all or they return to the dead body to get back what they can. Which is a BIG difference compared to individuals who die alone...

So implementing No.3 would be counter productive towards what this mod is trying to achieve.

As for the bandits thing' date=' you can hear your heart beat faster and faster if you're nearby a player that has alot of murders.

[/quote']

Tell me about it! :D

As for No.3, I think grouped bandits have enough of an advantage over individual players as it is. Death does not mean as much to them either. If a guy dies, they meet up, share equipment and after some time it's as-if the player didn't even die at all or they return to the dead body to get back what they can. Which is a BIG difference compared to individuals who die alone...

So implementing No.3 would be counter productive towards what this mod is trying to achieve.

This happens even without #3 being implemented. If Bandits want to group up, they are going to and are free to do so. Just as friends are free to group up to increase survival against the Zombies/Bandits. All #3 would do is make it slightly easier to do so - which would especially benefit the new players without a sense of direction.

i agree with point no.1

About point no.5 it would lose the concept behind the Day Z project:

you have to struggle for EVERYTHING,even for a sip of water.

Starting with absolutely no weapons ,get killed by the zombies maybe once or twice,actually teaches the player that it's not a "run'n'fun" project.

The great feeling about getting some good gear in DayZ is that you are the only one to be thanked for what you have.Starting with some basic weapon destroys the atmosphere .

This happens even without #3 being implemented.

Still no need to encourage it.