Sign in to follow this  
galesoffgrid

Custom Terrain- East Shadow Issue

Good Morning All, 

I have a unique terrain issue that has been making me crazy for months now and no one seems to want to attempt to point me in the right direction for troubleshooting.  I've asked on a few different Map Discords with no response.  So here it goes-

This issue only shows up on custom terrains I've made with L3DT standard and Terrain Builder - This does Not effect any of the official DayZ maps or any of the custom steam maps (I have 99% of the DayZ maps, Chiemsee, Namalsk, Deer Isle, Esseker, Banov, etc. installed on my home LAN server and they all work great)

My custom maps, one is 512mx512m the other is 5k x 5k - Both have ~15+ mods installed (DayZ Expansion, Rev Guns, Gebs Fish, etc) and everything works great - sun moon speculars and shadows all perfect, navmesh perfect, custom ground textures with sound effects mapped - perfect.....  I really cant find any other issues but this one:

Any light source Other then the Sun or Moon works perfect Except when you look East the Terrain always has a dark shadow - The line is definitely North-South indicated by the compass heading at the top of my screen in the screenshots.  This happens regardless if the ground textures are custom or DayZ Vanilla (the rock texture at the river is DayZ vanilla rock PAA). 

Notice too that the shadow East issue is Only the Terrain and Not any of the Grass clutter or Objects, as seen in the Truck and Dunes pictures.

The Balota Airfield Screenshots show how the shadows Should look for comparison to Chernarus

Here's a quick Bitchute Video I chopped together showing the issue - I cannot figure out how to attach screenshots to this forum..  ***https://www.bitchute.com/video/s6tasNr3iUfI/ 

The only hint I may have is that in L3DT standard you cannot make high res light maps - the option is greyed out and the Pro Trial Keys no longer valid- no response from L3DT....  Not sure if that has anything to do with the terrain East shadow.  Theres also a script option in L3DT to ' Bake Light Onto Texture' ?  Not sure if this would do anything, Any help greatly appreciated as this has had me stumped for months now!

Just an update - After posting to several discords I finally received a reply on the Grandpa DayZ Modding Discord by one of the members.  They suggested checking the Latitude / Longitude settings.  I Tried switching them up both in terrain builder and in the Config.cpp file before running  Mikero's pboproject on the terrain - pboProject completes successful -East Shadow Issue Persists 😞  

To me, the strangest part is that it's only my own custom maps and it's only player equipment or vehicle generated lighting - Sun and Moon Work Fine which means Terrain Normals are fine...

Mystery Continues!