Sign in to follow this  
Trawk

Terrible FPS

The game is unplayable basically at the low low low FPS I get. It's literally to the point where I'm about to just quit playing all together.

I can run Arma II on Max settings etc easy, but when it comes to DayZ, it's about 10 FPS time.

(I DON'T USE 6 LAUNCHER, SO DON'T TELL ME TO CLOSE IT)

Here's what I have tried:

1. Installed latest video card drivers.

2. Set Arma II to High Priority.

3. Set a "-CpuCount=4" launch parameter in steam.

4. Closed everything but Arma II.

5. Turning down EVERYTHING to very low.

6. Playing in windowed mode (it still lags bad in windowed mode too)

System Specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs) ~3.2GHz

4096MB Ram

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

I feel like my computer should be able to run DayZ fine, I just don't get why it's SO LAGGY. It's literally UNPLAYABLE, like it's not one of those things were its like "gah, ill just stick through it and deal with it". Because it's so bad that whenever I even try to fight a zombie I don't even know what's happening because it's so laggy.

I have this exact same problem, and have tried all of the fixes you did as well. I'm usually around 15 FPS on good days:(

You can try these two things, but I think the problem lies with the graphics card. I had a 9800 GT and I played ArmA with it prior to upgrading. I had to turn everything down to medium or lower to get any real playability, which was only about 10-15 FPS anyway.

1. In the launch parameters add -winxp. Winxp allows the game to take advantage of multi-core CPU's. Your -cpucount=4 line might not be recognized by the game or something, IDK.

2. Disable post-processing effects. Easily the biggest cause of frame drops in-game. I think I gained an extra 5-10 frames from changing my settings from low to very low. I haven't completely disabled PPE's yet because I'm getting decent frames, but I imagine going from low to disabled would yield some nice results.

9800 is a fossil. Donate it to the nearest museum. Buy a new card. 100 bux will probably get you a card 3x as fast.

TheProphecy I'll try your -winxp parameter and report back.

Also, Prophecy and Wulfear, I know 9800 is pretty old, but I mean, I can run Arma 2 MAX without playing DayZ. I can run other games on pretty high settings without lag. So I just don;t get it.

Have you tried joining different servers? I've noticed that some servers run smooth and others give me godawful performance.

Try to down your viewing distance.

I just went from ~20 FPS with 10k distance to ~60 FPS with 1.5k distance

Or does this include the "everything to low"