zuel

Populated NPC military base

(Not sure if it's been suggested yet - I've scanned a few pages of the forum and not seen it so far. If it has, count this as a vote in its favour.)

To add to the post-apocalyptic environment, how about adding a small military base on the fringe of the map, manned by AI NPCs, that shoots any zombies or players on sight.

The base would respawn its NPCs gradually over time, but at a rate that makes it theoretically possible for a well equipped group to raid it. The prize would be the military loot, and possible a military vehicle or two. High risk/high reward, and a good goal for end-game players and groups.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't have a problem with it, but give the guards mediocre gear at best, so people don't farm them, and turn their AI difficulty to an extreme setting, and on a high place, so people just can't snipe them from 1 km away. Aswell for vehicles, have them be very very rare, but decent chance for some good/great loot, and I think it'd be a good addition.

As I have come to find, NPCs in general are not included in the direction DayZ is heading at the moment.

In my opinion, no.

To be honest, it would be nice to simply have another PVE aspect like that in general.

You could have random CDF (military) vehicles (somewhat damaged jeep?) or choppers (you could only shoot them down, they may fight you?) move around and be a threat (enemy) or even something helpful (neutral/friendly) as loot or combat support.

Heck, something that could serve as a more human assistance OR threat to the players other than zombies and other players themselves. In theory elements of the military may have survived, or should have, or some other nearby country could send in military to fight zombies and possibly survivors.

Or add a karma / humanity system and sync it. Being evil? They attack you. Otherwise you could interact with them in some way, or they'd at least ignore you.

Uhhh maybe we could add some kind of NU base (we might use Czech army which is already in arma) with hospitals and food,but where you are only accepted once in while.

At the same time,bandits could raid it and loot some good/great amount of pills,bandages whatsoever and loot the UN guards' armory!

I don't think we will be seeing NPCs in this game and like it that way. I do think more PvE would be great though. Places that you can only get to / survive if you have certain gear. An underground bunker with poison gas requiring a gas mask, a cave system with no light using flashlights and flairs required, an air craft carrier that you need a boat/helo to get to, an underwater/sunken sub that requires scuba gear and a boat to access; all with lots of zeds, maybe zeds with body armor to make them a little tougher.

Why are NPCs never going to happen? The zombies are NPCs, of sorts. Having a small military base fits with the post-apocalyptic theme: an outpost sent to contain the outbreak. They're hostile to all. It essentially ads another environmental threat (albeit a big one) to the game, with a reward for overcoming it.