zuel

Weapon condition, stoppages and repair

(Not sure if it's been suggested yet - I've scanned a few pages of the forum and not seen it so far. If it has, count this as a vote in its favour.)

Currently all weapons operate at 100% functionality. That's not only wonderfully unrealistic, but misses out on another potential dimension to gameplay: weapon condition.

If weapon condition could be implemented (it apparently exist in other ArmA II mods), it could represent the chance that a weapon will misfire, requiring a reload action to clear. This percentage would be very low for military weapons (say <0.5%), low for civilian weapons (say <1%) and would degrade slowly over time/shots. The rate could be set to realistic levels, but I don't have the numbers on hand. Condition could also vary randomly within a range when the weapon is spawned.

This could perhaps be represented by a coloured bar on the weapon icon in the inventory.

Improving the condition of weapons could be achieved with a new gun cleaning kit that is a rare civilian spawn and medium/rare military spawn. It could also be made as a consumable rather than reusable tool.

In terms of gameplay, it would make combat a bit more edgy and risky, and make weapon maintenance more important. It would also make cleaning kits highly valuable, thus encouraging people to take risks acquiring them.

Thoughts?

It's certainlly an interesting suggestion, but is it one that is going beyond the what should be considered reasonable for a game? Having to clear a jam while being mobbed by zombies will almost certainly result in your death. It seems a little overkill to me.

22945715.jpg

Yeah, I like this idea. But maybe instead of using cleaning kits, you could use/scavenge parts from another weapon (same type or similar) you find to repair your current one.

I've thought about this being implemented too, and obviously like the idea. Have it increase more slowly with normal use and much more quickly with heavy use. Say you burn through 3+ mags in a minute or two. Maybe that could greatly increase your chance of a failure to eject or failure to feed, requiring you to go through the reload animation that you suggested. So a military item, for instance, with a base .5% chance to malfunction would have that chance doubled with repeated heavy use and on and on until the weapon becomes nearly unusable. However, this should take quite a while to achieve and should be triggered by number of rounds fired, not game time played. Say after 90 rounds your chance for a jam doubles and by ~300 it's very unreliable. Even though that's not "realistic" I doubt most players would live long enough to fire 10,000 rounds through their weapons :P

Just implement some weapon field cleaning kit and have weapons jam/ degrade if you do not use it regularly. I'd be fine with that. Look at JA2 how its done there, works fine and makes sense.