Sign in to follow this  
DanMikee

[PC] New Player looking for pointers

So I've been playing DayZ now for a couple of days, and I've got 40+ hours in the bag and I've played a few modded and PVE servers. I tend to quickly go inland in search for gear, but I don't really understand what to do next, and what I should be doing when I'm geared up (more or less).

Can someone out there give me a few pointers on what I should do and how to make my playthroughs a little bit more eventful? 😄 I am struggling a bit on how to build a base to keep my stuff safe and I've no clue how to build a "kit". What are these Kits?

___

I apologize, accidentally posted in the PS4 section lol.

Edited by DanMikee

Hello @DanMikee

That's the exciting part of DayZ in my opinion, you make your own goals as you go along. It is all about surviving for as long as you can but how you do this is entirely up to you, what I found interesting personally was just exploring the map when I started playing, navigating to different locations and scoping them out to make sure they were "safe" to some extent before going in to loot, getting some nice screenshots along the way. I didn't really do much base building as I prefer to roam around but I would often find other players stashes/bases and take some supplies if needed or leave them a gift if I had a lot of gear. From time to time I would go to military locations for more chance of PvP but my favourite moments are running in to players when you least expect it, quiet areas not so popular etc, the buzz I would get from these encounters is what kept me playing DayZ and I have made some good friends from it too. To give you some quick fire ideas, have you got a car running yet? Taken a player hostage? Been to Prison Island (Chernarus), raided a base? Tried to live off the land only? All of these are really fun things to do in my opinion, even being the "bad" guy can be fun for others at times 😄

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Madiakz said:

Hello @DanMikee

That's the exciting part of DayZ in my opinion, you make your own goals as you go along. It is all about surviving for as long as you can but how you do this is entirely up to you, what I found interesting personally was just exploring the map when I started playing, navigating to different locations and scoping them out to make sure they were "safe" to some extent before going in to loot, getting some nice screenshots along the way. I didn't really do much base building as I prefer to roam around but I would often find other players stashes/bases and take some supplies if needed or leave them a gift if I had a lot of gear. From time to time I would go to military locations for more chance of PvP but my favourite moments are running in to players when you least expect it, quiet areas not so popular etc, the buzz I would get from these encounters is what kept me playing DayZ and I have made some good friends from it too. To give you some quick fire ideas, have you got a car running yet? Taken a player hostage? Been to Prison Island (Chernarus), raided a base? Tried to live off the land only? All of these are really fun things to do in my opinion, even being the "bad" guy can be fun for others at times 😄

That's probably the best advice you could of given me. I thought I just had to wander the lands in hopes to find something to do, only to get bored. Setting my own goals on every playthrough sounds like a fantastic idea! I've met a few survivors, who were all pretty much KoS haha. I doubt I'll be a base building type as I do prefer exploring, and living off the land just like you. Hope to see you around, man and thanks for the advice 🙂 

Yes a lot of players are KoS due to gear fear, they don't want to lose that nice AK etc so shoot without thinking, but every so often you will find someone happy to talk but don't let your guard down to easy either, nothing stopping them being "friendly" then capping you in the back of the head when they have the chance. The uncertainty of who to trust and when is very unique in DayZ as there is nothing more soul destroying than running with someone for a while, sometimes hours, only for them to kill you over the elusive M4 they have never got before 😄

Bases can be fun I am sure, maybe more so with friends as they take quite a lot of work to build but are not too difficult to raid. I see you are from the UK also so who knows, maybe we will run in to each other one day! 🙂