Sign in to follow this  
vier0hr

More enterable buildings!

Love the game one problem I see, minus of course physics defying zombies, is the complete lack of structures with the exceptions of the city areas.

Rocket, if you are reading this, while you fix the zombie ai issue and other problems you should get a side team working on structure and map layout and see if you guys can rig anything up from Arma IIs limited structure groups. If you need any help, I'm in college for Programming and Analysis and have some basic experience with Unreal and other game engines and would love to get in on the action, this mod is a whole game in its own and I feel that the beta will be an even bigger hit one the main issues are fixed.

Keep up the great work Team DayZ and don't go crazy!

Well although more enterable building would be extremely nice and would increase the amount of loot an *ACTUAL* City could hold it would require to much altering to the Chernarus map. Rocket is not in a position to rebuild a entire map...even if he was it would require to much attention to work on cutting off any other projects they are working on. Great idea though :)

Well although more enterable building would be extremely nice and would increase the amount of loot an *ACTUAL* City could hold it would require to much altering to the Chernarus map. Rocket is not in a position to rebuild a entire map...even if he was it would require to much attention to work on cutting off any other projects they are working on. Great idea though :)

Not to offend your offered skills.

ARMA 2 related. I don't think they got enough resources nor time to create a whole new map.

How does building structure have anything to do with rebuilding the map?You could use existing wall patterns hollowed or just use the enter able buildings more...so whoever said anything about redoing the map is an idiot. I am more so talking of country areas than of cities, there are enough buildings in them.

You're an idiot, fact.

It's in alpha, rocket has already announced that he's interested in creating a much larger map than the existing one. But in this current stage (read: alpha), it is more wiser to correct bugs, immensely change game-play, fix exploits etcetera than go in-depth and build up on a map. That's for the future.

Now, I'm not sure if you're illiterate because you lack the ability to read between lines.

Good bye.

You're an idiot' date=' fact.

It's in alpha, rocket has already announced that he's interested in creating a much larger map than the existing one. But in this current stage (read: alpha), it is more wiser to correct bugs, immensely change game-play, fix exploits etcetera than go in-depth and build up on a map. That's for the future.

Now, I'm not sure if you're illiterate because you lack the ability to read between lines.

Good bye.

[/quote']

Wow! You go, forum warrior! Lol!

If he's an idiot, you're an overly aggressive ass-hat. You actually took time out of your life to log in and click this thread to 'contribute' that?

What do you think it achieved? Except to prove how appalling the community for this game is?

Anyway, back on topic.

I was wondering if it would be possible to at least spawn some loot outside some of the un-enterable buildings; sort of to acknowledge that there probably would be a tin of beans in a farmhouse were the doors not welded shut.

One major problem I've found when starting out is not being able to tell which buildings might have resources, and which buildings are essentially fake, to all intents and purposes.

Hiking all the way down into a valley to search a building for food only to discover that the it's an elaborate hoax, and it isn't really there, is a bit weird. While making more enterable buildiings is probably one for the future, putting in resources at least close where they should be could be done now.

The OP is right. This should be fairly high up on rocket's list of things to fix. In a game all about scavenging, having fake buildings is a much bigger issue than it is in Arma. It would immensely change gameplay, as there would no longer be distinct "resource buildings" in amongst the fakes, so scavenging would no longer be a case of making a beeline straight for them and ignoring all else.

• Like 1

Yeah, he called us an idiot so I did the same, how about you actually read through the thread next time instead of skimming through it? You might of noticed I posted in this a good week ago or so, you fuckwad.

Everyone's mad while everyone's getting what they want. Enterable buildings are planned.

How much would it change gameplay? There'd be less PVP. That's it. Because loot spots would be everywhere. Currently they're concentrated which means that competition is likely. However it all depends on the type of loot that can be found. High tier loot is always in demand. Hence why airfield, cherno, balota and elektro are always a deathmatch. (The 3 latter also suffer from having spawns near them.) It will be easier on new players, but nothing would really change for experienced ones (except distances they have to run).

I think there have been a few added military camps thanks to DayZ's addition that are not included in ARMA II's Chernarus map.

Next to the SWAF is one.

If a few more of these could be added in the extremely secluded area's, it could make for a better experience and compensate for lack of buildings to enter. The North, NE, NW and some of the West Border are dead-zones, they'd be good area's to populate with temporary bases.

It might reflect military strategy in a zombie scenario too.

• Like 1

There is something called a search button, seriously this has been suggested about 27 times.

Yeah, he called us an idiot so I did the same, how about you actually read through the thread next time instead of skimming through it? You might of noticed I posted in this a good week ago or so, you fuckwad.

Ok, so I'm an idiot who does'nt know what I'm talking about and there won't be added enterable building...

Oh Shit!?!

Too bad Rocket said in an interview not even a week ago that that is something they are planning and working on... So fuck off!

I like how people that have absolutly no programming or engine design experience automaticly assume that they know everything about gamer design and development from PLAYING THE GAMES.

The number of things added to this mod already, and added to other mods for other games, show that engines and structure design are very easy to change and manipulate. That being said, where the hell do you guys think the 1886 in this game came from? How about the fucking zombie AI, did you think Rocket pulled that shit from Arma II???

FACT: There will be more enterable building and even building (or underground structures) you can change and manipulate.

FACT: Rocket has confimed this

FACT: You'r a fucking ass-hat know it all (Which I find funny cause you've been a member/player as long as me apparently...hope I don't let that two weeks on the forums swell my head)

Try checking your fucking facts before you slander someones ideas or insight just because you think it's wrong! You may turn out to be the fool!

That being said your ignorence has pissed me off so I'm gona go kill some fucking zombies!

PS Rocket if you see this, keep up the good work.

Edited by Viper0hr
  • Like 1

you know how laggy citys can be now this is not done because of the arma 2 engine i dont believe it has the ability to hide un rendered polygons so that being said if a whole city where to have enterable building unless you where looking at your feet the whole time the enviroment and furnished building polygons would crash even computers that pixar uses.

Wow! You go, forum warrior! Lol!

If he's an idiot, you're an overly aggressive ass-hat. You actually took time out of your life to log in and click this thread to 'contribute' that?

What do you think it achieved? Except to prove how appalling the community for this game is?

Anyway, back on topic.

I was wondering if it would be possible to at least spawn some loot outside some of the un-enterable buildings; sort of to acknowledge that there probably would be a tin of beans in a farmhouse were the doors not welded shut.

One major problem I've found when starting out is not being able to tell which buildings might have resources, and which buildings are essentially fake, to all intents and purposes.

Hiking all the way down into a valley to search a building for food only to discover that the it's an elaborate hoax, and it isn't really there, is a bit weird. While making more enterable buildiings is probably one for the future, putting in resources at least close where they should be could be done now.

The OP is right. This should be fairly high up on rocket's list of things to fix. In a game all about scavenging, having fake buildings is a much bigger issue than it is in Arma. It would immensely change gameplay, as there would no longer be distinct "resource buildings" in amongst the fakes, so scavenging would no longer be a case of making a beeline straight for them and ignoring all else.

Rocket and Team Dayz are actually also working on this.

From what he said the loot spawn system is a real pain in the ass to deal with because Arma II never needed one so he pretty much has to code and tweak the whole damn system lol.

I do agree with the idea though, I would like to see misc loot at random realistic spots, and I would REALLY like to see loot around convoy ambushes and things like that.

Also, thanks for the post made me lol,and your right the community is kindof so-so (not all, most)

you know how laggy citys can be now this is not done because of the arma 2 engine i dont believe it has the ability to hide un rendered polygons so that being said if a whole city where to have enterable building unless you where looking at your feet the whole time the enviroment and furnished building polygons would crash even computers that pixar uses.

Not the whole city, people got completely misconstrued from what I said the first time lol.

I am mainly talking of more building in rural areas, and of course a few more in city areas. I don't expect a full city of eneterablke buildings, cause that would be kindof overload.

this is not done because of the arma 2 engine i dont believe it has the ability to hide un rendered polygons

Actually it has. Well at least it uses Level Of Detail, so when player is far from the building the interior is not rendered.

Anyway I wonder if it is possible to make at least some of the buildings enterable - mostly those small, single-level houses. I'm not sure if there is a way to swap current 3d models with "modified ones". I guess it would require messing with pbo file that keep 3d building model or the one with the island config files. It would probably create some of problems with those BIS signatures. Still it would means much less work then creating a map and buildings from a scratch.

What makes things even worse, there is no way to modify 3d models of Chernarus buildings. It is because these models are in ODOL format - you cant open them with oxygen2 PE (it's a program you use to create 3d models for ArmA2). BIS never released any of ArmA2 3d models in MLOD format (except some human models) which can be open in o2 and modified.

To sum up - I don't really think this would be possible without help from the Bohemia Interactive Studio. Would they offer a helping hand if Rocket ask them? Maybe they would, but I dont even know if Rocket is interested in this stuff. As far as I'm concerned it would be good to check how a large amount of enterable building would affect gameplay (zombies easier to avoid? More time needed to gather basic gear?..and so on).

Anyway creating an interior for those small houses would be a piece of cake (I'm not guessing here. I've made some buildings for OFP:CWC - buildings and static objects are the easiest to make addons)).

Too much loot is not a problem really - it can be removed from places like outhouses or an entrance of non-enterable builings or simply "% chance of a loot" can be lowered so the overall amount of a loot stays the same.

He could rebuild the already present buildings to have interiors, but he would indeed need another person or a lot of free time. It's something I'd like to see slowly done (one building at a time) over the next many months. Then he could reduce all look chances, so you can search every single building, making it more realistic and deep.

Love the game one problem I see, minus of course physics defying zombies, is the complete lack of structures with the exceptions of the city areas.

Rocket, if you are reading this, while you fix the zombie ai issue and other problems you should get a side team working on structure and map layout and see if you guys can rig anything up from Arma IIs limited structure groups. If you need any help, I'm in college for Programming and Analysis and have some basic experience with Unreal and other game engines and would love to get in on the action, this mod is a whole game in its own and I feel that the beta will be an even bigger hit one the main issues are fixed.

Keep up the great work Team DayZ and don't go crazy!

I believe they're trying to take it into a little bit different direction, and they touched on that in the interview with FPSGuru, i've made transcript of it here: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/52509-hall-rocket-deans-answers-on-suggestions/

The parts you may be interested in listening to are about bases/undergrounds/etc

Essentially the way i'm hearing him, they are more interested in creating an enviroment with letting players create all these items, instead of developers guiding you through the game.

I dont think enterable buildings and player created structures are related. \

Not to mention that the first ones are doable now and the second ones are just a concept (which is "interesting" or "fascinating" but there is no real plan how to implement it)

It would take BI to make the changes. I would like to see some doors that have to be taken down in order to enter. This modification on the main Arma 2 game will increase realism for both Arma and Dayz. Hopefully someone has already thought of this and is addressing the issue with BI. Otherwise the Dayz developers would have to release new buildings and delete Arma buildings. Why don't we knock it out with one step. I'm sure if people volunteered their time and submitted them to BI they could just release it as a patch in the future for all of us.

Statistical numbers will have to be adjusted for the increased number of spawn spots, no biggie, still a survival game.

Edited by Kungpow