vulfy

Hatchet: best weapon vs. zombies

Well, title says it all.

It does pertain mostly to the beginning of a new character. Until I get a decent backpack, I forgo any primary weapons, for a hatchet.

It is silent, so no agroing nearby zombies.

Ammo count is almost unlimited, and even if you do manage to run out, they are plenty more of them around.

I also don't have to carry additional ammo for primary weapon, which frees up slots in my inventory.

You really just need to know how to use it. It might be tough to use it against a zombie train, but one on one or even 2 and 3 on one, its very effective.

When zombie first agros on you, he tends to run in circle around you. All you have to do, is to turn and keep him in your sights. Then start backing away from him. Zombies stop before they hit you, and then there is a pause before they hit you again. Hatchet's range is pretty decent, so you don't really need to be face to face with a zombie. A good few feet is a plenty. On most servers crosshair does not show for the hatchet, but it should be in the center of the screen, and you don't need to be precise with it.

After some trial and error, you'll get the hang of the timing. It really is like fencing. You wait for your opponent's opening, and you strike. Other time you are backing away from them, as if guarding.

I am now carrying hatchet as my primary weapon, with a revolver as a side weapon vs. players.

Of course this has its drawbacks. I'm more vulnerable again human opponent. If I don't have a rifle, I don't have the range to stay safe. But honestly, unless you are actively snipping, most of the encounters happen within a pistol's distance.

Also, zombies do tend to sneak a punch through, from time to time, be that due to a lag or frame drop, but I do get hit occasionally. Also with a high chance of zombie braking your leg, every encounter up close, you are risking.

But even with all these drawbacks, at this stage I prefer hatchet to a rifle, for the first stage of my character's development.

• Like 1

I would like to see someone run out of hatchet "ammo".

I still have not been able to consistently work out where to aim when trying to hit zombies at a distance, the hatchet is actually a gun with very high bullet fall off so there must be an arc which it follows. Several times I have hit zombies from quite a distance away, so it is not very good for a melee simulation, but Rocket has plenty of time to improve on it if he thinks it is needed.

I think it would be good to have players start with a crowbar, same as the hatchet but not usable as a tool to cut down trees later. But... it would turn Cherno into a melee battleground.

I'm a fan of this but you're much more likely to end up with a broken leg this way.

I agree , in the beginning I look for a hatchet and leave oter weapons , I see lots of newly spawned players running from zombie trains because they found a pistol and fired it and alerted every Z in the area.

Hatchet is a good way to kill silently and keep hidden whlst you get the essential gear that is needed early.