BrunDeign

Graphical Issues

I recently bought Arma II and OA (through the Combined Operations bundle) and I did everything correctly to download and install the mod. I was able to get onto a server but when I do there are these very cumbersome graphical issues. Large spaces of blank areas in my vision constantly shifting places among other graphical issues make the game very unplayable.

I can play much more graphically intensive games on my laptop so it shouldn't be that. I did however experience this very same graphical issue with Team Fortress 2 a short while back and it just recently fixed itself. Any ideas as to what I can do?

Okay I started messing with my graphical settings some more and I think I've at least figured out what's causing the problem. When I went to "Advanced" video settings there was an option to change shadow quality. As soon as I started changing it the original graphical problem went away. However in its place there is now a "stretching" of the textures similar to the original problem (the original problem had nothing but blank space and stretching of said blank space). It still does it even with shadows disabled.

I've been trying to screenshot it but apparently the screenshot button is different for ARMA II. Any idea how I can get a proper screenshot? Not exactly the savviest of techies here.

You play games more graphically intensive than this mod? Wow, please go on about that. This mod will rape 80% of peoples machines on very high settings.

On a related note, you are playing on a laptop. I hope you are playing on low or normal settings. As for the screen shots, you can use Steam to take them.

Yes, I am pretty astounded you found "much more graphically intensive games" than this. Name a few, maybe you have it on low settings so it seems less graphically intensive. Heres some screens of what it looks like on max settings:

chm1k.jpg

6Nvn1.jpg

AZPdh.jpg

Wow I come here asking for advice on a problem preventing me from enjoying the game and you're going to chastise me for saying it's not graphically intensive? Crysis 2 this ain't.

And as for the taking a screenshot on Steam, what I was saying was that it won't LET me take a screenshot like I would on Steam.

And as for the taking a screenshot on Steam' date=' what I was saying was that it won't LET me take a screenshot like I would on Steam.

[/quote']

in the server menu try doing alt+enter, it makes it into an adjustable windowed mode and you can drag the screen to your liking and then use printscreen.

I recently bought Arma II and OA (through the Combined Operations bundle) and I did everything correctly to download and install the mod. I was able to get onto a server but when I do there are these very cumbersome graphical issues. Large spaces of blank areas in my vision constantly shifting places among other graphical issues make the game very unplayable.

I can play much more graphically intensive games on my laptop so it shouldn't be that. I did however experience this very same graphical issue with Team Fortress 2 a short while back and it just recently fixed itself. Any ideas as to what I can do?

This game is based on the ARMA II engine. It is a military simulator not a FPS, so it is very CPU dependent due to all of the calculations to make it accurate to every situation. Also it is just about the most poorly optimzed piece of software on the planet. Unfortunately very few laptops can play it at all, much less well. Add to that this this is a MOD in Alpha built on this software.

Try setting everything to the lowest settings, lower your 3D resultion 20% lower than the native of the laptop. Then maybe (just maybe) you will be able to play. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but unfortunately this is where you stand.

This game is based on the ARMA II engine. It is a military simulator not a FPS' date=' so it is very CPU dependent due to all of the calculations to make it accurate to every situation. Also it is just about the most poorly optimzed piece of software on the planet. Unfortunately very few laptops can play it at all, much less well. Add to that this this is a MOD in Alpha built on this software.

Try setting everything to the lowest settings, lower your 3D resultion 20% lower than the native of the laptop. Then maybe (just maybe) you will be able to play. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but unfortunately this is where you stand.

[/quote']

Oh you misunderstand. The game runs fine, no visible chugging or anything. I've had this problem before with other games on this laptop but they honest to God just sorted themselves out (not sure how of course) and never showed up again. The game seems to run just fine. No lag, no animation issues, etc. Just this weird visual tearing and stretching.

Okay I think I have the screenshots attached. Got em saved and everything, then went to the attachment part and, well, attached them. Hopefully.

This game is based on the ARMA II engine. It is a military simulator not a FPS' date=' so it is very CPU dependent due to all of the calculations to make it accurate to every situation. Also it is just about the most poorly optimzed piece of software on the planet. Unfortunately very few laptops can play it at all, much less well. Add to that this this is a MOD in Alpha built on this software.

[/quote']

Oh you misunderstand. The game runs fine, no visible chugging or anything. I've had this problem before with other games on this laptop but they honest to God just sorted themselves out (not sure how of course) and never showed up again. The game seems to run just fine. No lag, no animation issues, etc. Just this weird visual tearing and stretching.

Okay I think I have the screenshots attached. Got em saved and everything, then went to the attachment part and, well, attached them. Hopefully.

This game kills the best of graphics hardware. I think you might be having heat issues with your graphics card. I don't know where you live but it is hot as hell in Texas right now. This might explain why your problem sometimes goes away. Try playing the game with your laptop suspended so the bottom is resting on something at both ends like a couple of books, leaving the bottom some air flow. Generally, even with desktops, when the graphics card gets overheated you will see artifacts like this.

If this experiment works you might want to invest in a laptop cooler. Basically it's a stand that you plug into one of your USB that has fans to draw hot air away from your components.

good luck!

[/quote']

This game kills the best of graphics hardware. I think you might be having heat issues with your graphics card. Try playing the game with your laptop suspended so the bottom is resting on something at both ends like a couple of books, leaving the bottom some air flow. Generally, even with desktops, when the graphics card gets overheated you will see artifacts like this.

If this experiment works you might want to invest in a laptop cooler. Basically it's a stand that you plug into one of your USB that has fans to draws hot air away from your components.

good luck!

Thanks for the tip I'll try this tomorrow and let you know if it works.