Trev_Bash

Which Public Server Do You Use?

For the last couple of weeks or so I have been wandering through the public - Dayz Livonia EU -DE 2116 (Persistence ON) server - and things have been great. Weather has been wet on and off but not game wrecking bad... or when it was I went elsewhere. Today I was right down in the bottom right hand corner (south east corner) in a little place called Dolnik. All was quiet and I was well armed and sneaking. I went into each building prepared for trouble but none came my way. Out of the blue a group of figures came charging down the hill towards me and I nearly crapped myself before I realised it was five Zombies chasing a pig! They all raced past whilst I hid but one strangely peeled off towards me. I let him come and dispatched him quietly with an axe and lo and behold he had brought me beans! how weird.

Anyway I went to the watering point in town, checked it out and all seemed safe. Took plenty of water on board and moved off then suddenly pop pop pop machine gun fire, took cover behind the wrong side of a log pile and was dead... sad face. Didn't even see my killer. Guess he was camping the most obvious place and I failed to spot him/her... never mind, shit happens.

Needless to say I'll be going back that way again as it's a nice area and someone there has my loot. If you happen to go that way then I may see you there! BTW I stashed a shotgun and ammo in a car there...

So, back on topic, which is your favourite server? and why?

I will be honest with you Trev where I use to have a few favourited servers Official Ones I tend to now work through the list and try to play the first one I find that its not raining on and has a decent pop. Lately it has been difficult and as my brother and a few friends play the community servers more I tend to end up there but I prefer to play as a pair or lone wolf. Even though the game is I feel playing better there are still to many inconsistancies restricting enjoyment.

TBH I just picked what I thought was the closest server to the UK on the public list although I think there is probably one in London now? not sure. I did rent a private Nitrado server for a month and initially it was ok. Only having the zombies and animals to worry about was fine to begin with but there wasn't that element of fear that you get knowing other players are out to get you and your stuff. When I first started playing it seemed that other players could make or break the game but once I got my head round the 'take no prisoners' bit then things have been ok. I only ever seem to play alone which suits me fine so far. On the Nitrado server it was easy to change the day/night pattern but I can't remember if the weather was changeable. Having recently moved from Gwynedd to Norfolk it's nice to see some drier weather - that would be nice in-game too 😉 

Just typing this post in a short break, just like in cricket - 'rain stopped play'

Different servers do offer varying experiences which is great and kinda guide the game a little but the total imbalance on loot and rewards along with the overall experience can make or break a server.  I live in Mid Wales and I have a number of times tried to incorperate Discord into my experience but the few times I tried this Discord has just been a total destructive process for whatever reason. This obviously eliminates my ability to go to a number of servers. Then in game the logic of where loot spawns drives me nuts sometimes. These sort of things add to a players enjoyment of the game and again you learn the better servers. Of course the main reason most play is for the interaction with other players which again varying servers lay down some guidance for play to guide the experience. Servers also do not help themselves by what the providers call the server immediately alienating certain players. I see tactical logging of servers where squads go active to gain as much loot as possible as it becomes available to disappear 2 hours later and the same four are there again the same time next day. there is so much to add in the mix of the overall experience. I have seen a number of good pop servers with the right mix become unplayable as the admin of the servers become non existent after it goes live. I have been in a few communities where issues crept in as the server became popular and some just disappeared some become unplayable some become whitelisted or discord initiated and a good community on a well pop server  is suddenly gone. Its a baffling journey working out what you want as all players are not looking for the same experience but overall once you are somewhere near getting the experience you want I am sure someone will put a spanner in the works and lessen the experience. I write this now as I logged in earlier to find after nine servers where I log into continual heavy rain on each one making my choice easy. No DayZ until later I just don't want it so playing something else after I finish this. I see in many other games nothing like the rain I see in DayZ so in the end DayZ loses as it is also the PC community where you watch some of the streamers constantly complain about the rain so its not console specific. But servers certainly are a law untio themselves and can be as I said earlier baffling.for want of a better description        

• Like 1

Quite a few Modded Servers now showing on the community pages and I have had some of the best DayZ play on them. Most notable feature though is most have got the weather spot on.