generalmayhem

Niggles and down Right Crazy

So Today I fell off the crane at Topolniki as I posistioned for a shot as I heard a car coming. My fault so no worries. My respawn was Berezhino and I have a few routes worked out between there and a run to NWAF or Tisy Military to try for some good weapons and Heli Crashes. Route one never failed me before once I knew where stuff can be found but died well before getting anywhere near my destination because I spawned with only a pear as normal and found not one Pear, ,Apple or Plum. By looking back as I had recorded it I killed 76 Zombies before I died who offered me 4 boxes of matches, 4 Torches, 2 Can Openers, 1 Battery, 1 6 Pack of Rags and a Plastic Bottle. I tried loads of properties which offered me Cowboy Hats, Crash Helmets , Beanies, Capri Pants, Quilted Jackets, Trail Shoes and Working Boots by the crate. I checked Green Houses and Sheds and found mainly Car Parts and Generators and Camping Tripods in sheds and Packs of seed in every Greenhouse. Drank and had full water from two wells but eventually died from Hunger. I had nothing to kill Animals to cook and eat. this route has never failed like this before Anyway respawn South of Berenzino and try a different Route with exactly the same results. So two official Servers and to be honest it was crap. My conclusion was poor settings on the servers. It was obvious with decent pop on the servers some places had been done by other players but no melee weapons, no guns , no ammo and no fruit or food anywhere and believe me we tried some obscure locations. Add to this Zombies spotting me AFK in a locked Garage lay down. I came back to 20 Zombies all aggroed at the door where it was impossible to see me and no way did I aggro them as I was in the garage not moving for a few minutes before I AFKed because I had a phone call. Because I had nothing and had found nothing I had to wait ages before I could move on. After the Second death I thought I would look around at Community and official servers of various Pop and see how many were online. Every login it was chucking it down and after seven tries I was about to give up when I spotted a community server that has reappeared after going missing for about a week. My character is pretty geared so she will be my next login tomorrow but overall I found today a pretty crap experience and I am not one to moan normally but it was  not the way to make players keen to play again. If I was a newbie I would probably be demanding my money back. We really need some sensible server management depending on server pop and general understanding of the game please Empty supermarkets of food and cans where in real life thats where you would look first. Better distribution of Zombie loot would be a good place to start. There was no way was just bad luck.

I signed in on my brothers account yesterday on the two same Official servers and pretty much the same result as I wrote above. This time though on both occasions I found Tac Bac at VMC  that saved me but was it close. Flashing Red I was amazed I survived because again no Fruit in orchards or roadside, No cans or drinks in Greenhouses and again killing Zombies found not one food item. Time for a rest from the game I think. Oh and I logged in to lovely weather to find after 10 mins both servers changed to heavy Rain. Why !!!!!!!!!!!!

Similar problem here on Livonia - rain rain rain... most times I just shut it down and move on. I understand the need for a challenging environment but the game still has to be enjoyable... and the excess rain just kills it. 

• Like 1

I just got my dude geared with matching Gorka pants+jacket in addition to NBC hood. Rain jacket is decent, but seems to lack insulation. Need jungle boots! Going to test against the heavy rain soon. A cooked piece of fat in each, pants and shirt, will do you wonders for prolonged activity in the rain before hypothermia sets in!! Firefighter gear gives good protection from rain, I hear. But... I don't use it.

OP, you should have planted those seeds for food, it's supposed to grow quickly. I once died during the night waiting for a greenhouse garden to grow peppers as a fresh spawn. I was so lucky to find a shovel! Without warm clothes, the cold nighttime temperature made my hunger drain twice as fast. I didn't get to see the sun come up. I've also perished once from the same predicament of no food in houses and no food from 30+ killed infected. I searched two towns, a city, and Tisy military base. Shit gets picked clean sometimes my man, it's an apocalypse. These types of shit-hits-the-fan situations are cruel and unforgiving. 

Stay prepared! I like hunting caribou, cooking, and running around in forests. I often stay out of cities. Right now, my character is on the run, a base got raided. Gotta scramble! Good luck, and remember: each death will make you smarter and more resilient. Failure is a lesson.

• Like 1

Man, just get two rocks and make a stone knife. They're on trails. Kill a chicken, make hooks, combine rags into a rope. Attach it all to a stick and go fishing. My first priority every spawn. I don't like relying on the luck of the draw searching for food.

• Beans 1

22 hours ago, EzyStriderPS4 said:

I just got my dude geared with matching Gorka pants+jacket in addition to NBC hood. Rain jacket is decent, but seems to lack insulation. Need jungle boots! Going to test against the heavy rain soon. A cooked piece of fat in each, pants and shirt, will do you wonders for prolonged activity in the rain before hypothermia sets in!! Firefighter gear gives good protection from rain, I hear. But... I don't use it.

OP, you should have planted those seeds for food, it's supposed to grow quickly. I once died during the night waiting for a greenhouse garden to grow peppers as a fresh spawn. I was so lucky to find a shovel! Without warm clothes, the cold nighttime temperature made my hunger drain twice as fast. I didn't get to see the sun come up. I've also perished once from the same predicament of no food in houses and no food from 30+ killed infected. I searched two towns, a city, and Tisy military base. Shit gets picked clean sometimes my man, it's an apocalypse. These types of shit-hits-the-fan situations are cruel and unforgiving. 

Stay prepared! I like hunting caribou, cooking, and running around in forests. I often stay out of cities. Right now, my character is on the run, a base got raided. Gotta scramble! Good luck, and remember: each death will make you smarter and more resilient. Failure is a lesson.

• Thanks 1

Well back at Day Z today and I had this great idea to try route 1 from the original post on this thread. Zombies gave me peaches, Beans Trees gave me Apples Pears Greenhouses gave me drink Peppers I could have fed an Army. 58 Pop when I signed in on Official Server and never saw a player. Got on NWAF and the Tents had Hundreds of Backpacks Guns, Boots, Jackets, Trousers, Ammo, Mags, batteries, Sights etc everywhere. A plentiful Harvest all hidden away. DayZ a game of extremes.

Hello, me and my son play online together On PS4 and we both have noticed a massive drop off in pretty much EVERYTHING since the recent updates! I read in the patch notes that the loot zombies give out would be reduced, but reduced to NOTHING!?!? Come on man! You used to be guaranteed a random can of peaches or beans from stomping a few zombies, to go from that to nothing is shit! Water canteens reduced by 50%! Why!!!! As if it wasn’t hard enough to manage food and water already! Now your water levels last allot longer but your food drops twice as fast!!! why!!! When your raiding towns and city’s for food and finding nothing, searching orchids for fruit and finding nothing, killing zombies and finding nothing is only going to lead to one thing Bohemia and that’s allot of people not wanting to play your game anymore! I realise it’s a survival game and it has to be challenging, but going back a few patches ago all the things I listed above were still happening in the game and now you have nerfed the game into an unenjoyable experience! Things have been tweaked that didn’t need to be tweaked and now they have been tweaked too far, just like the local crackhead!!! And the WEAPONS!!! Don’t get me started on the weapons!!! Me and my son have found nothing better than an SKS and Mosin out of the rifles, and 
MP5-K and UMP45’s in the sub machine gun range! Nothing better than that from literally hours of game play!!! I know there are these dickhead duper’s hoarding allot of good weapons but surely there is something you can do about that for the sake of everyone else!!! You have a really great game here (apart from all the bugs 🐛) and if you continue developing it it will only get better, but as much as I enjoy it it has also become very tedious and unrewarding experience and Im finding myself drifting further away from it. Please listen to the concerns myself and others are raising and address them, or risk loosing the very fans that supported you throughout your development because you refuse to hear them! 

And why the FUCK is it raining so much?!?!  Now we get to stand around during the day with our thumbs up our asses, unable to move anywhere for fear of getting hyperthermia and your food dropping into the red, but you can’t fix you food problem because you can’t find any fucking food!!! What a game! 🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, Berndog said:

And why the FUCK is it raining so much?!?!  Now we get to stand around during the day with our thumbs up our asses, unable to move anywhere for fear of getting hyperthermia and your food dropping into the red, but you can’t fix you food problem because you can’t find any fucking food!!! What a game! 🤦‍♂️

Completely agree with you @Berndog 

We all play this game for some sort of enjoyment and when it pisses down with rain all the time it can ruin it very quickly. I can't see the need for it. I know the settings can be varied on private servers but I don't know what the score is on the public ones. Maybe they are all set the same in relation to the amount of rain. It would be nice to know if there are any public servers which are warm, sunny and dry with more daylight than darkness...

Totally agree again guys. Gave up today again after Rain Rain Rain just made the game soul destroying. Again today nothing from Zombies except one gave me a battery. Must have killed about  40 before I gave up. Today was just not enjoyable again.

I know they increased the amount of rain and the frequency of it, but when it forces you to take shelter just to avoid the adverse affects caused by getting a bit wet, which in turn stops you being able to scavenge for the pitiful amounts of loot on offer, something you essentially need to do in order to survive, but you can’t, because it’s raining, I mean what the FUCK!!!

and another thing, what’s with the fruit situation? Sure there’s fruit to find but most of the time theses days it’s more often than not Going to be rotten! What’s actually the point of that?!?! It does nothing to enhance the game and quite frankly pisses me right off!!! Fruit used to be in reasonable supply, now it’s about as common as a zombie dropping you a can of peaches!!! 

what shits me the most is this game is one way me and my son are able to interact with each other when we aren’t together. His mother (who I now affectionately refer to as slutguts) ran off with a drop kick a few years back and took my kids with her. Now im reduced to every second weekend with them and one night a week! Anyway thats beside the point, what im trying to say is me and my boy love Dayz and we look forward to getting online together and making our way through Chernarus, looting, killing zombies, not get killed by other players, you know how it goes. But when the enjoyment you get from the game begins to diminish because the game mechanics have been tweaked to the point where food and weapons aren’t dropping in reasonable amounts, and the game has become a “stay out of the rain simulator” then it’s no wonder my boy would rather jump on Fortnite with his mates than persist with playing Dayz with his old man which offers no incentives to keep playing what so ever! I loose that interaction with my son, Bohemia looses two more players and I believe more will leave because they have nerfed an awesome game into a pointless exercise in futility!!!

Surely these 'Bohemians' must realise that as soon as the rain starts (again and again and again) a lot of players (myself included) will just piss off, eject the disc and go play some other game...

As for the rotten fruit, it does seem a bit pointless including it in the game. A nice joke to begin with when you first become sick but after that you just don't bother picking it up. Same with the water, I just don't bother drinking anything apart from cans, bottled or straight from the pump - anything else without purification will kill you... 

I'm a new player, downloaded this after seeing some videos that made the game look like something to enjoy with a bit of depth. What those videos didn't show was the mind numbing repetitive attempt at looting non existent items. It's been pretty much covered in the posts above, I totally agree with what has been said.

It is completely ridiculous. From a fresh spawn, you have to make dozens of attempts to make it any way into the game because there just isn't enough food or drink to find. The online videos "how to start out in DayZ" are laughable now. Maybe at that time on that platform, that was how it worked, but if you try and loot boats or nearby houses from the coast like shown in these videos, you don't get Jack in my game. It just doesn't work like the 'how to videos'.

I really want to like this game, I want it to work, but it's a game, there has to be some bloody enjoyment. It shouldn't be a real test of human endurance as to how much pointless crap gameplay you can put up with before you quit for good.

Surely Devs can't be happy with the game in this state, at least from what I'm seeing on PS4? 

This is a bit of a strange game and nothing seems particularly easy. I tend to play Livonia at the moment and while there isn't any fruit to be found there are occasionally mushrooms in the woods. I always assumed that the water in canteens was safe to drink because it hadn't affected me before. Yesterday however I got sick after drinking from a 'found' canteen and now I'm struggling to cure myself. I used chlorine tablets in the next drink of water but that didn't help. Now I'm heading to a town hospital to try to find some kind of cure before I die of virus. Having spent lots of time dodging other players, wolves and zombies it seems a pathetic way to end my current game... maybe I should stash the stuff I'm carrying but I don't know whether it will remain on the server to be found another time?

@paulzx1 I always found Cherno to be reasonably well stocked with fruit but I do find that a map showing the orchards is pretty much essential. Having said that, after a while you get used to knowing which gardens to check. Some people have said that the zombies have less to offer but just recently some Zs have gone out of their way to chase me and these are the ones that have tins in their pockets.

The wet weather is a pain as is the fact that you can find a good weapon but no magazine or ammo... then you have to decide whether to cart it round hoping to get it working or leave it. My problem is that I carry too much stuff!

Keep plugging away, it gets better... sometimes...

On 4/18/2020 at 9:26 AM, Trev_Bash said:

This is a bit of a strange game and nothing seems particularly easy. I tend to play Livonia at the moment and while there isn't any fruit to be found there are occasionally mushrooms in the woods. I always assumed that the water in canteens was safe to drink because it hadn't affected me before. Yesterday however I got sick after drinking from a 'found' canteen and now I'm struggling to cure myself. I used chlorine tablets in the next drink of water but that didn't help. Now I'm heading to a town hospital to try to find some kind of cure before I die of virus. Having spent lots of time dodging other players, wolves and zombies it seems a pathetic way to end my current game... maybe I should stash the stuff I'm carrying but I don't know whether it will remain on the server to be found another time?

@paulzx1 I always found Cherno to be reasonably well stocked with fruit but I do find that a map showing the orchards is pretty much essential. Having said that, after a while you get used to knowing which gardens to check. Some people have said that the zombies have less to offer but just recently some Zs have gone out of their way to chase me and these are the ones that have tins in their pockets.

The wet weather is a pain as is the fact that you can find a good weapon but no magazine or ammo... then you have to decide whether to cart it round hoping to get it working or leave it. My problem is that I carry too much stuff!

Keep plugging away, it gets better... sometimes...

Haha thanks Trev, I hear your frustrations with the game. Too often when I play this, it isn't enjoyable, it's actually just a waste of time in a lot of cases. The question you have to ask yourself is, is this worth keep putting time into when there are other survival based games out there that seem to be much more well balanced? I'm already finding myself looking around for something better

15 hours ago, paulzx1 said:

Haha thanks Trev, I hear your frustrations with the game. Too often when I play this, it isn't enjoyable, it's actually just a waste of time in a lot of cases. The question you have to ask yourself is, is this worth keep putting time into when there are other survival based games out there that seem to be much more well balanced? I'm already finding myself looking around for something better

@paulzx1 It's definitely niggling and frustrating to lose all of your equipment just because you can't find food or you contracted a virus that you can't get rid of but it's even worse to suddenly die when you didn't see the assassin lurking behind a door or you go to a water pump which has been staked out by an unseen killer... not to mention the feral gangs roaming the highly populated servers... but don't give up, pick a low populated server and keep plugging away. The game is deep and the learning curve is steep but the more you play the better you get.

Every now and then there are situations and surprises that make it all worthwhile... at least that's what I keep telling myself, LOL, and I'm still a noob at this too.

Yep I'm still learning, started playing on low servers and now getting better food pickups which is encouraging. I've twice had servers shut down on me suddenly

though, which I'm not impressed at. If you log out of the server you're playing on, and log back in to same server next time, will you re-spawn in the same position

you were in previously, or does it place you randomly anywhere on the map. I'm trying to meet up with a mate on the same server and of course even that's not easy

1 hour ago, paulzx1 said:

Yep I'm still learning, started playing on low servers and now getting better food pickups which is encouraging. I've twice had servers shut down on me suddenly

though, which I'm not impressed at. If you log out of the server you're playing on, and log back in to same server next time, will you re-spawn in the same position

you were in previously, or does it place you randomly anywhere on the map. I'm trying to meet up with a mate on the same server and of course even that's not easy

In my (short) experience you generally spawn back in the same place that you quit the game and with the same equipment and food that you had. When I get to the point where I have to stop playing, I usually find a building with a roof and quit from there. So far I have always re-spawned in the same place. Even when the game has crashed it has returned me to the same place. The only things that seem to change while you're away is the weather, time of day and loot in the area.

I'm not sure if you keep your equipment/supplies when you change server on the same map. Sometimes I have retained the stuff but occasionally it's been back to zero and start again. I think it depends on whether you choose a map with 'persistence'. I'm still not sure of the mechanism there, which is probably why I tend to stay on the same server on the Livonia map. When I die and get reset is normally the time I change maps.

When there is a scheduled server shut-down a countdown message appears in the bottom left hand corner giving you from 30 to 10 minutes to quit the map - it's easy to miss if you're busy...

Thanks for the tip on the server shut down. I've had two server shut downs but didn't see a message, maybe I missed that. I'm trying to stick to the same server and hopefully all my saved up items will stay in place.

It's a decent game when you get your head around it a bit