Sign in to follow this  
Greg-UK4

Phishing Attempt - Server admins beware!

I was waiting in the IRC chat for an admin and had this lovely conversation via PM with a chap called IKC - who was actually really trying to help me, and I totally misunderstood the situation :)

IKC - Im sorry, don't hate me. xoxox

:heart::heart::heart:

(for the record)

I thought IKC was trying to gain access to my server illegitimately using subterfuge and ninja tactics, I was mistaken, he was genuinely trying to help me :)

What can i say - it was 3:30am, and i was paranoid after 4 hours ingame and about 4 espressos ;)

Ah lovely people in IRC' date=' was his nick registered through nickserv or even identified? :V

[/quote']

He's still idling on the channel if you want to investigate :)

I'm an IRC nub when it comes down to it.

He's legit, and is now an Op in the channel. He pulled up my server info without me needing to give it to him and reconfigured some things for me.

I know, right? Wish I was not in a rush, i would have read this line with more detail... Did not pay attention to his request properly...

03:19 Greg2[uK4] it's simple, if you have my details, what is the number present in the password i provided

but i figured this would be enough...

03:21 IKC i guess you can send another email as a reminder to the main one you sent the first time

Not sure where he got the one for me asking him to give it to me that very sec...

Then i told him this...

03:24 IKC i'm about to run out, anyhow, dhw may be able to help you with Monitor, if you choose to update it yourself

I know' date=' right? Wish I was not in a rush, i would have read this line with more detail... Did not pay attention to his request properly...

03:19 Greg2[uK4'] it's simple, if you have my details, what is the number present in the password i provided

but i figured this would be enough...

03:21 IKC i guess you can send another email as a reminder to the main one you sent the first time

Not sure where he got the one for me asking him to give it to me that very sec...

Then i told him this...

03:24 IKC i'm about to run out, anyhow, dhw may be able to help you with Monitor, if you choose to update it yourself

I thought that the message you sent about emailing was a way of backing and trying to "seem legit", you know:

"I'm here to help you right now, but if you want to wait hours, its your choice" - kinda social engineering tactic i've seen used - like pressure from a car salesman :P

Anyway, I'll request this thread be closed as it was a clusterfk of confusion on both parties :)