Sign in to follow this  
Sentinal (DayZ)

Endgame-Something to occupy your time after you have the best gear

Now the idea I am going to propose is most likely more optimal to implement later on once Rocket fixes all those annoying bugs like breaking legs when going prone on a lighthouse or dying if you dare to look at the wrong tree but hear me out.

The idea's main points will be summarized here

-For anyone who has played the game alot and with friends, they will know what it is like to have all the great gear and be an invincible unit, they go out and camp Cherno, Elektro, Stary or the Barracks and that is that.

-This idea is that there should be a true endgame that will only be able to be completed by a well organised and well geared group of people

-The Endgame should be one area or even better a series of areas that have high Z density with challenging terrain that encompasses tight corners, houses, rooftops etc.

-This forces tactical decisions and teamwork for example, you may need to post a sniper on a rooftop to cover you as you dash in the case that you miss the Z's that run out of a building.

-Perhaps even add in certain types of zombies that are specific to the area but must be REALISTIC and fit in with the THEME, I do not want any napalm spitting, death machine with chainsaw arms because it makes the game a joke... An example of these sorts of Z's would be bullet proof vest wearers which force a group to shoot in the head or legs.

-The rewards for undertaking the massive feat of conquering these areas would have to be great such as at its most basic form, better guns than can be found anywhere else, however these rewards could be any number of things, they just have to be very very good.

A detailed walkthrough of a scenario that could be used:

(This particular scenario requires the implementation of a radio, which should also be implemented to allow full area communication)

For those who own a radio, there is a random chance that while using the radio a distress call will go out, informing the player that a group of people are holed up in an old military complex in a town (a new town could be added or a less used town could be altered, certain towns i could think of are Olsha, Khelm or Petrovka) The town name is given as are co ordinates, the player is also informed that the area is very dangerous. Distress call could go something like this "Mayday, Mayday we are holed up in a military complex in (insert town name) this place is swarming with these mother fuckers we cant hold em off much longer... co-ordinates are (Insert co-ords), if anyone is out there, please help us"

Now that it is introduced to the player, you will of course have at the beginning people that go all Leroy Jenkins style and get themselves absolutely demolished by the Z's but after a time people will learn to cooperate to complete the mission. After entering the town, the Z's are obviously everywhere but after working through the streets the players must enter the complex itself in order to avoid people doing a few flyovers with a Huehuehuey demolishing every Z and taking the loot without much effort. In the complex there should be tight corners to give the Z's the edge and so if you are not smart about your approach and or not adequately equipped, you will die. The complex must be dark so that you must have NVG's or other light sources in order to see clearly and the corridors should allow for an unwary group to be flanked by Z's. Now it is a military complex, so these Z's could very well be wearing body armour to make them harder but in order to compensate for this it could be so they had a chance to drop ammo for military guns or even a rare chance to drop other military items. At the end of the complex you find the survivors that called you, massacred by Z's, and this is the final fight. A horde, and I mean a horde, of zombies rushes the group and this forms the final fight. After this the players can loot the recently dead survivors for extremely good gear and perhaps even be able to hightail it out of there in a unique vehicle. This vehicle could be something such as the MT-LB, a russian Armoured Personal Carrier, which fits in with the theme and provides a massive reward for taking on such a challenge.

Now, imagine all of this zombie challenge, with multiple groups vying for the loot. Ambushes in the city, chaos, not knowing who is friend or foe. The tension and fun that taking this station would provide would be astounding. I also propose that before the horde enters and the loot becomes available the doors will be locked behind the group that entered so that they can loot in peace.

Thank you for reading if you bothered, I doubt anyone will.

Personally, I think this is a great Idea. However maybe the survivors would not have milatary weapons as wouldn't they have killed the zombies themselves? How about a group is set up in Cherno or somewhere which tell you to rescue certain people and the more of the distress calls you go after the more advanced gear they give you? But I think the idea could go far!

- Zander

Well, that was just an example. The flexibility of this is good, you could have different places and even a voice on the radio telling you where certain stashes are etc. I just like the idea of people that you are trying to rescue are all dead, just adds that little sting of 'there is no hope' to the game. Makes the atmosphere even more dark.

There already is. Go to Elektro/Cherno and shoot every fuckball you see on a rooftop that has a rifle in their hands.

There already is. Go to Elektro/Cherno and shoot every fuckball you see on a rooftop that has a rifle in their hands.

That is oh so tactical and fun... especially when you lose all your gear within five minutes because even with the best gear in the game, cherno and elektro is suicide if you are there for too long. I am talking about an endgame, not suicide.

That is oh so tactical and fun... especially when you lose all your gear within five minutes because even with the best gear in the game' date=' cherno and elektro is suicide if you are there for too long. I am talking about an endgame, not suicide.

[/quote']

I'm not trying to crap on your request for a tougher challenge, but what happens after the team accomplishes your mission? They are now better over-equipped and have even less of a challenge in-game? It'll just be the new helicopter crash site, and all the loot will be hoarded off map in tent cities.

Why not try being a medic in Cherno/Electro. You have to form a tactical fire-team to keep all the griefers off your tail. You are rewarded with gratitude and immortality, much like Dr. Wasteland M.D. (Rocket even talks about him in interviews).

This would be a true end-game goal, that encompasses tight corners, roof tops, tactical decision making, and can be accomplished only by a well organized team. The up-shot is that Rocket doesn't have to do/change anything. You can get lots of gear from the bodies of the griefers that you kill (half of them, I am convinced, are hackers/scripters so they will have good gear). And you can do it right now, without waiting for a patch/update.

I too think that most griefers are hackers but that cannot be stopped, hmm your idea for setting up a doctor is interesting, It is why I would like to see a radio implemented that all people start off with so that communication across the land can occur. This way you could say 'Free doctors clinic located at Cherno Church' and such. That is an interesting player made endgame, I am simply sick of bandit hunting the land, even my old game of counter sniping Stary has gotten stale.

I too think that most griefers are hackers but that cannot be stopped' date=' hmm your idea for setting up a doctor is interesting, It is why I would like to see a radio implemented that all people start off with so that communication across the land can occur. This way you could say 'Free doctors clinic located at Cherno Church' and such. That is an interesting player made endgame, I am simply sick of bandit hunting the land, even my old game of counter sniping Stary has gotten stale.

[/quote']

The idea of medicing is not mine, just one I agree with. I'm setting up a mobile hospital for resupplying medics in hopes of continuing the movement. There is a thread for medics/requests in the Survivor H.Q. subforum: http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=4581

Narks the thing is that Sandbox games have no endgame.

But i do agree that more activities would be great in the future.

LOL way to contradict urself m8 ;p Endgame content means content for those who have reached the pinnacle of a game. Not and ending for the game. I agree with this post to an extent. That being that dayz needs more content for survivors to do. We cant hunt bandits anymore now skins are gone, so there is nothing for us to do.

LOL way to contradict urself m8 ;p Endgame content means content for those who have reached the pinnacle of a game. Not and ending for the game. I agree with this post to an extent. That being that dayz needs more content for survivors to do. We cant hunt bandits anymore now skins are gone' date=' so there is nothing for us to do.

[/quote']

Not contradicting myself lol.

Not having an endgame doesn't means more stuff can't be added to the game.

The thing i meant with by first comment was that there isn't a predefined objective or mission to follow, if people made a "go to cherno, Get wilderness survival kit,head north, and get military grade gear" guide is because they wanted to not because the game forced you.

And if by reaching the "pinacle of the game" means you have walked one hour north and picked up your ghillie and .50 cal you've been missing alot.

Try playing with friends and repair a car and stuff lol

Rocket has said that he"s adding end-game options...... quit making these threads about "Endgame" people.

Rocket has said that he"s adding end-game options...... quit making these threads about "Endgame" people.

Rocket has said alot of things, my fear is that his endgame will simply be more guns.

Personally i love this idea, it would add longevity to the game, especially if there were multiple missions to do, it would also help to promote cooperation between survivors. If a scenario like the one you used as an example was used it would be much harder to make multiple missions, such as maybe you need to repair some power lines to get to the final location where the survivors are because they use their main door locking mechanism is electric they need you to get the electricity going to lock the door before the z's overrun them. That way your group would need to hold off z's at different areas around the map while somone repairs the lines, or it could be something as simple as going to a heavily populated area to get a key card to get through the door. Any sort of mission/quest can only help to increase the longevity of the game.

I don't think there should be more endgame stuff, Rocket should honestly just make the journey to the "endgame" much harder and longer.

I don't think there should be more endgame stuff' date=' Rocket should honestly just make the journey to the "endgame" much harder and longer.

[/quote']

I agree that the journey should be harder, making the zombie count higher but adding in more simple vehicles like pedalbikes, more ways to distract Z's such as extra smoke grenade spawns or firecrackers to force players to make tactical choices in order to gear up rather than just prone into a barn, grab a shotty, then go nuts in Cherno/Elektro.