combatvolcano

not fun to die to campers

Game is kinda fun, I can pretty much log in and find weapons, etc, binocs whatever raid a hospital

but getting established over several hours just to die to yet another asshole camping a supermarket is not fun

add this to the deaths from hackers and camping snipers and it's like a survival game that randomly kills you with almost nothing you can do about it

not fun anymore, it's like a 4 hour round of counterstrike, might as well go back to playing that

It's like counterstrike in that if someone is firing at you, especially indoors, you don't really get a chance to react before you die.

Sitting in a corner staring at a wall waiting for people is not playing the game, it's just sitting there. Those who are actually trying to get established and you know, move around in the world? explore and discover things? play the game instead of just sit around in it? shouldn't be so heavily penalized by those who just want to grief people.

It's a good concept but the extreme penalty of dying (losing EVERY THING) and the lack of any kind item storage (you can't even find a place to cache things without making it extremely obvious i.e. tent because the servers just wipe everything you might try to hide) ruins the experience.

I've played many thousands of hours of online pvp games, making reply posts like "you suck you fail you died ha ha ha go away loser" just makes you another troll. Good luck being that.

If there are zombies in a town 300m before you arrive, there is a survivor there. Avoid the town or hunt the survivor.

You can use this until they fix that mechanic ;)

Agree with OP, when i first played the game i was instantly hooked, played for over a week and even grew a beard, but ye the game does start to become very dull pretty fast.

IMO it is one of the best concepts of a game i have played, and the game itself is great ( ex arma 2 fanatic ) but the game consists of to many bugs and exploits with no reward feeling at all.

I understand the sentiment pretty well. Though there doesn't seem to be a really great way of controlling camping - snipers mostly.

I was playing with my friend earlier. He got sniped from the... somewhere... as we travelled to Stary Sobor. Game over. He lost a couple of hours of gameplay. He didn't even know he got shot. I got lucky because the sniper got a lucky shot and wasn't able to repeat it on me.

Way I see it, I don't understand why there are so many high powered sniper rifles available in the game. To compete against players you must move rapidly, but to survive against zombies you must be slow and considered. It's a peculiar flaw that shines in scenarios like that.

I would kind of like to see less one shot killing. So rather than being killed instantaeously, it might relieve the frustration if under all combat scenarios, you were more likely to get knocked unconcious that straight out killed. It'd give your buddies a chance to save you, bandage you, and continue the adventure.

This'd require a double tap from the assailant, too. It's a shame in ways, as the attacking player mostly does alt-tabbing in the treeline, watching youtube vids and then tabbing back in to see what's up.

No one will find him, because not many people bother. This isn't laziness, either. It's a case of: you may spend 30 minutes scanning and rooting through every possible sniper spot, but that doesn't mean that once you've decided it's safe, that a sniper can't just log in where you checked beforehand.

To me, I reckon that would make the experience a little less frustrating - as it can be exactly that.

Regardless of realism or whatever, I think there are certain mechanics that need implementation to keep everything coherent.

I have a couple of questions I wonder about:

Did you take time to scout out the store from afar? Did you check for spawns / movement? If so for how long?

Did you take care to make as little sound as possible and as much cover as possible when approaching the store?

Did you use the store windows to check the rooms before entering the store? Even the back side has windows.

Did you check your corners by leaning when you got to the doorway?

Did you do the same when changing rooms?

This game is not about who has time to react, it's about who sees who first. If you just ran in a store and got shot, you failed at understanding this concept and should take time to realize that minimizing the risk of being seen, and maximizing the ability to see others are the keys to survival.

Don't assume the store is empty. Know it is.

I have a couple of questions I wonder about:

Did you take time to scout out the store from afar? Did you check for spawns / movement? If so for how long?

Did you take care to make as little sound as possible and as much cover as possible when approaching the store?

Did you use the store windows to check the rooms before entering the store? Even the back side has windows.

Did you check your corners by leaning when you got to the doorway?

Did you do the same when changing rooms?

This game is not about who has time to react' date=' it's about who sees who first. If you just ran in a store and got shot, you failed at understanding this concept and should take time to realize that minimizing the risk of being seen, and maximizing the ability to see others are the keys to survival.

Don't assume the store is empty. Know it is.

[/quote']

While you take 4 days to actually get into the store, id not only have killed you but the 2 respawn alts running to your body.

another asshole camping a supermarket

that asshole is probably an overwatch protecting his mates

stop thinking you're entitled to enter any town safely

stop thinking that loot you want is yours - it's not, it's ours. why? there's more of us, we have bigger guns and we have covered all the angles

stop thinking it's OK not to scout

stop thinking it's safe to scout and move on (someone else mentioned 'snipes can jst log in lik dis if u cri evritiem' but they can also JUST FUCKING WALK THERE FOOL) and if you don't have the manpower to leave overwatch in each of the dangerous sniper spots then you simply do not have the right to feel safe

stop thinking an apocalyptic dog eat dog world should be as welcoming to lonely idiots as it is to smart tribes - there's a reason social animals pwned evolution ffs

stop thinking those tribes should be beholden to a lonely idiot who fails to scout, has no overwatch and wanders about with his head in the clouds

but getting established over several hours just to die to yet another asshole camping a supermarket is not fun

I think you're missing the point of the game.

Is the game supposed to be fun? Yes.

Is it a traditional type of game? Definitely not.

The whole concept behind DayZ challenges the way current mainstream games work. This game is a relentless beast which is really savage and cold. The reality is, if you just waltz in to a store and try and loot then yeah, maybe there will be someone there waiting to kill you. You should use the tools at your disposal - leaning, proning, windows, binoculars etc to scope out the situation.

Would you rather wait 5 minutes watching a building to see what was around or run in and die and 'waste' 2 hours of game time spent on that char.

Just food for thought.

Maybe the game isn't for you?

While you take 4 days to actually get into the store' date=' id not only have killed you but the 2 respawn alts running to your body.

[/quote']you're playing the wrong game maggot, and you're playing it a like a fucking potato

There is no such thing as 'camping'. ARMA2 is a MILITARY SIMULATOR, Day Z is a SURVIVAL SIMULATOR. Rocket has gone as far to call Day Z an 'anti-game'.

Stop crying about 'campers' and 'snipers' and do better recon work.

Also, stop crying about 'one shot snipers'. Thats the most retarded thing I've ever heard. This is not Call of Duty. If the gun readily dispatches a person in real life in one bullet, then it will be reflected in the game.

The game is what it is, like it or leave it just stop crying.

but the game consists of to many bugs and exploits with no reward feeling at all.

This. There is no sense of accomplishment. It's like playing a 4 hour round of a game to me, knowing it will just all randomly be gone at some point in the future.

Really needs to have the ability to cache items somehow, or ever better: a set of like 10 item slots that are persistent even after death to hold weapons, ammo, morphine, etc... especially morphine and/or blood bags. Obtaining these things can be extremely difficult and it's a prerequisite to playing because oh, shit, 2 seconds of lag, 1 foot drop, broken bone game over.

How to play day z:

Find a hatchet. No exceptions.

Burn ass to the nearest hospital. Grab morphine if you made it and didn't get killed by a camper. As much as you can carry. You can always waste them when you find something else you want. If you are playing with others also grab blood bags and 1 or maybe 2 epis.

Burn ass to the nearest supermarket and pray for a tent. If you don't get a tent you are just going to lose everything you earned. Eat food and drink up. Take 2 cans of food and 1 soda if you didn't get a canteen.

Run into the woods where nobody would go (or so you hope) and set up the tent. Stash it with some of the morphine/blood bags. Keep 2 morphine and 2 blood bags on you (again, if you have a friend) and free up as much space as you can.

Speed from military spawn to military spawn until you get a sniper rifle and some ammo.

Spawn camp people. What else is there? Maybe put a vehicle together but it's unlikely you will unless you have at least two other people - and that's assuming your server isn't popular because if it is they have all already been taken and stashed somewhere.

I give it a 3.5/10 in its current state. Hackers, campers and complete lack of permanence kill the score.

This "game" is not here to entertain you. It is just there. Do with it what you will.

-----

"DayZ was designed to be impossibly cruel, dark, and brutal. It was not designed as a game it was more of an experiment, I prefer the term "anti-game" - in other words the mechanics are not designed to be balanced, or offer a way out for different situations. These are things game designers normally take care with."

-----

"It is the kind of system/environment that will sometimes make you want to punch the computer screen. But with that kind of risk, comes great emotional reward when you carry something off. The sniper you describe - there are people like this in the world, and in the breakdown of order I can bet that there would be people who would sit on a roof and shoot people "just for the lulz"."

-----

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=588&pid=4431#pid4431

It could be so much more than a campfest. So many people WANT a game like this - but this is not the game most people want. In almost no time this is going to suffer the same fate as Darkfall.

Stop calling it 'camping' and a 'camp fest'. This is NOT an action game. Victory will be given to those with patience and tactical nous.

This is quite obviously not the game for you.

To compete against players you must move rapidly' date=' but to survive against zombies you must be slow and considered. It's a peculiar flaw that shines in scenarios like that.

[/quote']

That's not a fucking flaw that is a brilliant risk/reward scenario.

If you move slowly you avoid zombies but risk more encounters with players.

Move quickly and you will have to take out zombies but you can get in-and-out before players see you.

The choice is yours - and it's one you will have to think about intelligently based on context and history, location, what you know about the area, how populated the server, is, etc.

In other words, you have to use your fucking brain and make a decision and that decision can save or cost you your life.

Exciting stuff. Emotional and compelling.

Not the sort of thing you should be bitching about, in other words.

Get out there and survive.

Sitting in a corner staring at a wall waiting for people is not playing the game' date=' it's just sitting there.

[/quote']

Supermarkets are pretty open dude, you should probably try and scout the place out before moving in some place. Take your time and move slowly, observe the location before you just run right inside.

Stop calling it 'camping' and a 'camp fest'. This is NOT an action game. Victory will be given to those with patience and tactical nous.

Camping isn't a valid concept in competitive fps games either if you play at anything above a casual level.

To put it simply, in counterstrike you have two teams of five players each. The attacking team and the defending team. Two bombsites are the objectives to be attacked or defended. Each round has a time limit. A match is decided by reaching a certain amount of round wins for one team. MR15 means half time at 15 rounds for a team swap and whichever teams wins 16 rounds first wins the match.

There are very clear cut victory conditions that both teams are attempting to achieve, using whatever tactics works. It's about positioning, timing, communication, teamwork and skills.

Not: "I was moving and the guy who shot me wasn't moving and therefore I am entitled to complain about his lack of skill".

camping campfest is for campers

what now

This game is an ALPHA mod. So its not fully developed and is going to be buggy and their are going to be problems.

camping campfest is for campers

what now

/thread really.

Can't help someone who just wants to cry because they ran around like a retard and got dead.

Game is kinda fun' date=' I can pretty much log in and find weapons, etc, binocs whatever raid a hospital

add this to the deaths from hackers and camping snipers and it's like a survival game that randomly kills you with almost nothing you can do about it

not fun anymore, it's like a 4 hour round of counterstrike, might as well go back to playing that

[/quote']

There is something you can do about it: Don't run around and into buildings like a headless chicken.

Not: "I was moving and the guy who shot me wasn't moving and therefore I am entitled to complain about his lack of skill".

:huh: :dodgy: :s