The following story puts into words why I love this mod's ability for open story telling and that each life is a new experience.

So after dying several times not far from my starting point on the beach, I'm heading to a firehouse in Electro when I look to my right and see another newcomer running for the same place. I shout through my mic that I'm friendly and he stops and turns towards me and replies in text chat "friendly". We were both unarmed and just looking for someone to watch our backs and were both overjoyed that we had found just that. But just moments after we had begun communicating, a shot rang out through the air and my new buddy Arel, had been hit. I immediately exclaimed, "NO!" through my mic and quickly ran for shelter in the firehouse. I was overcome with grief as my new friend Arel had died when hope seemed so close. All I wanted was the chance to tell him how sorry I was, that it wasn't me who had shot him, and that I would miss him.

Things I have learned from several attempts on DayZ have been:

1. It is in the human condition to be an asshole.

2. Make the most out of what you find.

3. Give every spawn point a fair chance even if you wanted to be somewhere else.

4. Be kind, yet sensible.

5. Never give up hope.

This one time in Elektro me and a mate decided we would charge through throwing flares and blasting all the zombies we see and lighting the area up for the good people of the wastes. we were in a house looting stuff when we hear 2 shots. we both prone after about 5 seconds i get up and look at the window theres a bump in the road looks like a guy. we went to investigate be very wary. oddly enough it must of been a hit and run our a sniper that left because this guy was loaded he had all sorts 2 ghillies 1 dmr and m107 all the tools and what not. so once we got this we decided to perhaps be a little more stealthy. after changing clothes locking and loading and heading on our way we encounter a town and find a sedan in it the wheels work but arnt in great nick so after a bit of driving we stashed the car for a bit i was at the car and went afk for a moment my freind was in the forest apperently afk to i come back see im dead and my freind is hearing shots all over the place a massive battle was going on we think but any way i had to now get back to the car.

the journey to the car began normaly enough running up the forrests near the roads at full pace but as im running in a forest bordering a winding road i hear the humming of an engine.... did you get the car working i asked..... no im still sitting here. IT WAS THE UTE OF DOOM that ran down my mate earlier and i saw it cruising along the coast. but to see it in this remote forest road was fucking scary it came by 3 times slowly and stopped for a bit near me like scanning me luckily it didnt seem to notice me. after evading the ute of doom i managed to make my way to the forrest bordering the clearing the car was on the other side in some trees. shots were still ringing out around the area. i managed to get accross the field unoticed. up until this point it wasnt evident if i was shot or starved to death but my bloodied head and bullet riddled car was conclusive evidence. i managed to get my gear back. that ute cruising around was fucking scary perhaps one of the funnest and most intense scenario ive experienced yet in game. my freind died with both the dmrs by afking and getting killed by zombies