Uncle Zed

Can a developer answer a question about zombie spawns?

I understand about editing the zombie_territories.xml file to change the number of zombies spawning and where they spawn. I also understand the editing of the events.xml to determine the chances of each type of zombie to spawn. What I'd like to hear from a Developer about is an explanation of how the server determines when and where to spawn zombies. I've adjusted the zombie settings in those files and when I've played, I've encountered a good number of zombies.

My question is does the spread of the players on the server affect the spawning of the zombies? For example, if zombies are spawned in towns near a few players, do they not spawn in other areas? Do I need to adjust the "SpawnInitial" and "ZombieMaxCount" numbers in the globals.xml? Is there a reason why the zombie numbers have been made so low by default? If a Developer could respond to this, that would be awesome of you guys. I'm sure many other people are wondering about the same thing.

I ask because a server regular of mine posted the following question to me:

Interesting observation, here...

I had been tracking a group of three survivors as they journeyed across the center of the map....

Every town they went through was completely devoid of Infected by the time I got to it...

When I watched them in Novy Sobor I flanked around to the slope overlooking the Stary Tents (as they were heading that way and I wanted to se how they handled the Infected there) I noticed that for the first time ever....there was not a SINGLE Infected spawn there...

Very odd...and maybe the server only spawns groups of infected liberally when there are only a couple survivors spread around the map...and when the server has to deal with increased player counts it holds off on the numbers

Edited by BetterDeadThanZed
  • Beans 2

I think its just your settings, i have me and like 2 other ppl on my server and theres zombies everyone lol xD to the point I feel like need to turn them down

although your question still remains valid and am also interested to hear. :)

Edited by Zze

28 minutes ago, Zze said:

I think its just your settings, i have me and like 2 other ppl on my server and theres zombies everyone lol xD to the point I feel like need to turn them down

although your question still remains valid and am also interested to hear. :)

Could you tell me what your "SpawnInitial" and "ZombieMaxCount" numbers are in the globals.xml file?

Also if you add more triggers and up the radius you get more spawning more often

23 minutes ago, Sy8282 said:

Also if you add more triggers and up the radius you get more spawning more often

Yeah, as I said, I understand that part. I am looking for a Developer to explain if the game handles spawning of zombies in some weird way that is affected by player count or number of zombies already on the server.

Think you will have a long wait as the devs seem flat out at the minute do you have the ceeditor from the steam tools that will show you all the zombie spawn triggers and also the radius of the triggers also the clean up times. Player count always factors in as more players on more spawned infected in other locations. there was a mission file bolt.chernarus that had a massively edited zombie count they were everywhere, also you could add static infected to high traffic areas on my hard-core server berezino has 300 static spawned infected over a 400m radius and it's carnage they are in houses in the fields etc 

4 hours ago, BetterDeadThanZed said:

Yeah, as I said, I understand that part. I am looking for a Developer to explain if the game handles spawning of zombies in some weird way that is affected by player count or number of zombies already on the server.

There is a safe distance parameter on zombies. Maybe it's too high, so they don't spawn near players?

<saferadius>50</saferadius>
        <distanceradius>30</distanceradius>
        <cleanupradius>30</cleanupradius>

these 3.

however, even if i set very high levels in nominal and min max there aren't that many.. Don't fully understand it either.

Edited by 5andysalive

4 hours ago, Sy8282 said:

Think you will have a long wait as the devs seem flat out at the minute do you have the ceeditor from the steam tools that will show you all the zombie spawn triggers and also the radius of the triggers also the clean up times. Player count always factors in as more players on more spawned infected in other locations. there was a mission file bolt.chernarus that had a massively edited zombie count they were everywhere, also you could add static infected to high traffic areas on my hard-core server berezino has 300 static spawned infected over a 400m radius and it's carnage they are in houses in the fields etc 

I have edited those files that determine static and dynamic spawns. That's the part I understand. 

I don't know what ceeditor is. I will look into that though.

I installed DayZ Tools, but every time I start it, it closes right away and opens the local folder with the DayZ Tools files in it.

9 hours ago, BetterDeadThanZed said:

Could you tell me what your "SpawnInitial" and "ZombieMaxCount" numbers are in the globals.xml file?

<var name="SpawnInitial" type="0" value="1200"/>
    <var name="ZombieMaxCount" type="0" value="1000"/>

2 hours ago, BetterDeadThanZed said:

I installed DayZ Tools, but every time I start it, it closes right away and opens the local folder with the DayZ Tools files in it.

yeah tools aren't fully worked out, there is no launcher, an they can be little buggy, but for ceeditor check:

*\DayZ Tools\Bin\CeEditor

bin folder contains the other tools aswell.

Edited by Zze

On 12/3/2018 at 3:49 PM, Zze said:

yeah tools aren't fully worked out, there is no launcher, an they can be little buggy, but for ceeditor check:

*\DayZ Tools\Bin\CeEditor

bin folder contains the other tools aswell.

I found that and started it, but I have no idea what I'm looking at or how to do anything with it.

Edited by BetterDeadThanZed

19 hours ago, 5andysalive said:

zombie max count isn't had to figure out, isn't it?

That sets the hard limit for the maximum number of zombies that can spawn on the entire map, based on the settings in the other files.