Sign in to follow this  
Tomboo

TerrainEditor

So, since some years I dreamed about extending the current map beyond any imagination. Now there is a "TerrainEditor". After two hours of clicking and thinking wtf I'm doing I gave up. 

As you may have guessed already, I am not a sophisticated modder, developer, coder or whatever. I'm a mapper with simple ideas for simple dreams.

So can someone give me a quick overview about what I have to do to get into mapping? 

in short:

• scale and generate a terrian with a terrainmaker like L3DT (its free)
  • edit your terrain (hightmap, satelite image, specular light map,...etc) with that tool basically
  • import those maps to your Dayz terrain builder
  • make a surface mask, and declare surfaces
  • make roads
  • place objects on your new terrain (also make shapes for terrain processed regions like forests and run the terrain processor for it)
  • build an addon with the addon builder
  • load packed pbo as a mod at dayz.exe and test your map

this will take much time until u are expirienced enough to  edit ur map with advanced skills

good luck

Alright, so it seems like the  TerrainBuilder has nothing in common with Map editors I have dealt with before (San Andreas, Empire at War, C&C)

For me it looks like I need a lot of external stuff to get things going. Sad

Terrain Editing in Arma/DayZ is  completely different than in "common game editors" and not as easy to setup correctly.

You have to edit several .cfg, .cpp, .hpp files by hand, to get textures, grass,...working.

Best place to start: https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/forum/164-arma-3-terrain-builder/

Edited by grillstern666