JaggeGNX

Pissing/Smell Mechanic

So I know what you are thinking. A pissing mechanic? Sounds very... stupid. Allow me to explain why this could be a great addition to the game

The food and thirst mechanics of the game are pretty good as far as other games go. Not many games feature a hunger system. But for DayZ to go the extra mile, it needs to be the most realistic it can get.

So what would this piss mechanic require? I think that another icon on the HUD would suffice. In order to piss, you would have to press a button (I was thinking J). Your character would then do an animation, and a sound effect would be played. Now, while you are taking a leak, you are completely exposed. It also would slightly increase your audible levels. However, this would be much better than the alternative of... pissing your pants. Whats the downside of pissing your pants? You become extremely smelly towards zombies. And that's where the smell mechanic comes in.

The smell mechanic would be another detection method for zombies. We humans, quite frankly, are very smelly creatures. Let me explain how this smell system would work. When you spawn,you start with a base smell level of 1. Zombies could only smell you if you are right next to them. Several factors could increase your smell level. Lots of running will raise your smell level by 1. Being around dead bodies (be it zombies or other dead players) will also increase your smell level. If you catch infection, your skin will start to smell funny as well. But the biggest boost to your stink level would be pissing yourself, with an increase of up to 3, depending on how much piss you had.

How does one remove your stink level? There are several ways. 1. Your smell level does remove gradually over time (Except for infection, which goes away once you are cured). 2. A new item drop, Febreze, which would reset your stink level to its base of 1. 3. Go into the water. An instant bath would get the smell right off ya. Alternatively, rain would help you remove your stink faster than just default waiting.

So that's my idea. Honestly, the game is great as it is, but I feel that this too would be a great add-on to the game.

Also, feel free to criticize/expand on my idea.

I would say soap would be useful for baths but rain would make you stinky after cause of your clothes being drenched.

I quite like this idea. Perhaps it could be linked to temperature - i.e the warmer you are, the more you sweat. Drinking would obviously increase your urine meter, the same way your drink meter fills the more you run.

It does add another dynamic to the game that I like.

Perhaps there could even be a way to disguise your smell - as you'd assume the zombies have some sort of smell to do with their rotting flesh. Perhaps there could be a way to disguise yourself almost associated with this smell meter, meaning the zombies don't aggro even when you're walking around, unless you get too close. Sprinting would still alert them to you as you draw attention to yourself.

I do think that rain might add a bit of a smell to you. It would make rain have more purpose in the game besides stifling noise, as well as an incentive to be inside.

Also, soap as well. Maybe even temperature being linked to smells. The only thing that seems a bit odd is that lower temperatures lead to infections, so it might need some balancing.

I also thought of another idea. If you have an empty canteen, and your thirst is low, but your piss meter is high.... You could pull a Bear Grylls. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do to survive, even if it is drinking his own piss.

Wouldn't the zombies be smelling all of the other zombies around them too? They are still alive and will need to shit/piss themselves after all that flesh eating and blood drinking, producing a FAR worse smell than that of a reasonably healthy survivor

I'm not on board

I'm against anything that causes players to shit and piss in-game. There's no point.

Do you not log out, or jump into a bush, when nature calls for you in real life?

Well, All things considered, zombies probably smell different than your standard human. You know, decomposing and stuff. They can tell what is and isn't a zombie based on their keen sense of smell.

And as for the no-point remark, I see your point, but if zombies were to attack you in 'real life', no toilets would work and this would become a very viable thing to deal with. And I think shitting would be a bit too much. The game has to be hard, but not hard enough that its unbearable. I think the pissing/smell mechanic adds a new spin to things, makes the game more realistic.

Although maybe you could squat in a bush and get rid of the noise buff...

@KnT

Never said they were dead, bro. I meant as in if your hanging out with a lot of corpses in general, be it zombie or human. Although I did say decomposing. But that's from, you know, hanging out in the elements all the time. Your skin would get covered in things and slowly start to deteriorate, not to mention the affects of weather.

@Chillies

I thought someone might say that. Perhaps you could only hold your side arm when pissing? Like, pistol and smaller? Although I don;t think it gets any smaller than a pistol.