soapmak3r

A way to stop the murders

If the master server keeps track of stats like 'total murders committed', then anyone that has over 50 (or something) player kills within a certain amount of time, is permanently labelled as a bandit and spawns with an easily identifiable skin.

The number would reset after a certain amount of time, meaning that normal players wouldn't be labelled as bandits for defensive kills.

The amount of time for a reset would need to be kept secret, or changed slightly every now and again in a random way so that bandits couldn't cheat the system.

Maybe have bandits be able to reverse the effect of this by helping other players out with blood transfusions etc.

Like a karma system where people can redeem themselves. Obviously once someone has earned the bandit skin, it would be hard for them to convince anyone to trust them though...But hey, that's their tough shit really.

No, this is a bad idea. People should be able to kill and then lie about themselves being a friendly helpful person. The game is meant to be RPG.

Nobody shot me. I am alive and well, with a ton of ammo, couple of pistols, a shotgun, a decent backpack full of food, drink and other goodies.

The system I am proposing allows for banditry, it just doesn't allow for repeated, cold blooded murder.

I don't expect bandits to agree with any proposed solution that shows them up though, because you are all cowards by nature :P

The problem right now is that you either play on a server full of friends so you know you can trust everybody or shoot on sight because you can't trust anybody. It is too easy to just shoot on sight as there is no reprecaution. Unfortunately that is just the nature of the game. After being gunned down several times tonight while being completely unarmed...as in no gun at all...I think I am going to just start shooting everybody I see on sight. I think the number of reasonable people that want to be nice are far outnumbered by assholes that just want to be assholes all the time.

The problem right now is that you either play on a server full of friends so you know you can trust everybody or shoot on sight because you can't trust anybody. It is too easy to just shoot on sight as there is no reprecaution. Unfortunately that is just the nature of the game. After being gunned down several times tonight while being completely unarmed...as in no gun at all...I think I am going to just start shooting everybody I see on sight. I think the number of reasonable people that want to be nice are far outnumbered by assholes that just want to be assholes all the time.

THIS is the humanity system at work in dayZ (ATM) - unfortunatly Vertisce you have just lost your humanity :P ! This is fair enough as this is the EASIEST way to get "ahead" (where ever that may be) in the game.

If fear, anger and frustration is going to drive you towards murder and contributing to the chaos - go for it. But just remind yourself with every kill how you have become the thing you hate...

People with empathy/humanity or even basic trust are VERY rare ATM - this makes them very valuable entities to other who have held onto their "humanity" despite the odds - dont give up, carry the fire Vertisce!!

Could you make Spawning areas ie along coasts etc a non pvp zone except around cities. That way kids who have snipers wont just camp these areas to kill the defenceless new/re-spawned players (since we spawn with no way to defend ourselves not even a melee weapon).

Maybe make a server difficulty scale? ie easy is pvp free, you spawn with a makarov. normal is pvp but limited to inland/certain areas, spawn with a melee weapon. Hard is all pvp spawn with nothing. That would kind of help everyone as new players could actually have a chance to learn the game, while so-called seasoned competitors could go hunt each other on the hard servers

Another idea to consider is why not allow people to spawn on thier friends (ie send player a spawn request, if they select yes then you spawn next to them, if they say no you cant resend for another X minutes).

^mainly because it sucks playing with my friends but it taking us half an hour to meet up.

Neway Hope these suggestions are Ok, its just constructive criticism

No' date=' this is a bad idea. People should be able to kill and then lie about themselves being a friendly helpful person. The game is meant to be RPG.

[/quote']

Yup, the more realistic the game is the excitinger it is to play. It's thrilling to see another player and not know if he gonna stab you in the back or KoS as they nowadays usually do. Someone once suggested a smell feature :) I wish they implemented that too.

dumbest ideas ever.

Nah, a dumber idea was allowing people like you to have access to the internet.

It's funny. Reading the responses here, you can tell who the bandits are straight away.

The ones with knee jerk reactions to any suggestions that would have a negative impact on their addiction to murder.

In real life you could easily spot a psycho by observing their body language or even just the look in their eyes.

In the game we don't have that luxury, so like it or not, we need other ways to tell.

Possibly subtle visual cues. Possibly visual cues that become more obvious the more people a person murders.

At the end of the day, a serial killer is a bigger monster than the zombies are, because they are killing with full awareness of what they are doing...Zombies are just acting on a basic lizard brain instinct.

In real life you could easily spot a psycho by observing their body language or even just the look in their eyes.

It's a good thing we're sociopaths then.

It's a good thing we're sociopaths then.

Nah, I think you are just a clinical psycho with delusions of grandeur... :P

I would like it alot if there was some type of system like this so pvpers just can't go free, there is nothing stoping people from killing other players, not even the fear of death, which is unrelastic, if something was done to make pvpers worry about pvping, maybe even some type of punishment for death, that would be great.

A murder cap with a timed reset is what I propose. If you go over the cap within the timed period, your appearance indicates that you are a psycho.

Maybe the appearance thing could reset to normal appearance after the next timed reset. So it would be a penalty, but not a permanent one.

In real life you could easily spot a psycho by observing their body language or even just the look in their eyes

it's sad how many people believe this crap

In real life you could easily spot a psycho by observing their body language or even just the look in their eyes

Believe what crap? Observational psychology? Being able to read people?

You do realise that this is just a game right? It's not real life. If you don't like a game mechanic then don't play the game. Problem solved.

It is just a game, but at the moment, it's way too easy to be a bandit. Murder needs to be curbed, or at least strongly discouraged.

Currently, the game rewards bandits and punishes survivors. That isn't balanced. Actually, if anything, the difficulty should favour survivors more and be tougher on bandits.

The only people bitching when anyone makes a suggestion to balance things are the bandits, because they don't want their 'easy mode' taken away from them.

No' date=' this is a bad idea. People should be able to kill and then lie about themselves being a friendly helpful person. The game is meant to be RPG.

[/quote']

Yep RPG. This is exactly why the moral system should be implemented. *facepalm*

You do realise that this is just a game right? It's not real life. If you don't like a game mechanic then don't play the game. Problem solved.

You do realize that this is just a suggestion right? It's not real life.

If you don't like an OP's suggestion then don't read the thread. Problem solved.

I don't think there is a (good) way to stop people killing each other in this game. That's because the possibility to kill someone is an essential part of DayZ. In my opinion the developers shouldn't make any effort to reduce PvP. They should rather implement all "normal" features of the game and then remove all the bugs until DayZ is finished. Then after everything is done and running, there can be thoughts about the PvP element. But by no means should PvP be totally removed from the game. However i agree that there could/should something be changed but i would prefer to make it easier for players to team up as friends instead of making PvP harder.

I believe there are better solutions to this "problem". Yeah, punishing ppl is easy and fast way to deal with it. But its just in contradiction with what this game should be. Survival! And all the elements it brings along. Including pricks who will kill you for a can of food or a box of matches.

This "problem" needs to be solved by positive means not just by punishment.

From my point of view a solution could be adding in game mechanics that would somehow make that player in my crosshairs more valuable to me alive than dead. Problem is, how do you achieve that.

Right now three possible ideas come to my mind.

Make zombies even more deadly.

So using your weapons in and around populated areas becomes your last resort. And joining forces with other survivors after zombies have been alerted your only chance of getting out of that town alive.

Spawn the best loot in heavily infested areas.

So if you want to loot that millitary base full of zombies wearing kevlar vests you HAVE TO team up. And not with just 2-3 players. You would need at least 10-15 players fully loaded with ammo and medical supplys. And even then chances are not all of you would walk away alive.

Implement more core features that require two or more players to perform it. The same way blood packs and blood transfusion works.

And while all this ideas could be a massive failure after more testing, I still think you should encourage ppl to be nice in positive ways. Not just by punishing them. Coz in the end, it wont work. It never does.

1) No' date=' you couldn't. Just because [i']some have terrible "poker faces" about their mental condition doesn't mean everyone does. There are plenty of people with mental illnesses who act completely normal, and you wouldn't know they were ill unless someone specifically told you about it.

2) Who's to say that the PvPers are "psychos" anyway? You can't force a mental illness on someone just because you don't care for the way they play.

Believe what crap? Observational psychology? Being able to read people?

lolfail

Observational Psychology is an attempt to describe how humans learn through observation, and has nothing to do with making judgements about someone's mental health based on their behaviour

Links have been suggested that psychopaths tend to commit more 'instrumental' violence than 'reactive' violence. One conclusion in this regard was made by a 2002 study of homicide offenders' date=' which reported that the homicides committed by psychopaths were almost always (93.3%) primarily instrumental, while about half (48.4%) of those committed by non-psychopaths were.[60'] However, contrary to the equating of this to mean "in cold blood", more than a third of the homicides by psychopaths involved emotional reactivity as well. In addition, the non-psychopaths still accounted for most of the instrumental homicides, because most of these murderers were not psychopaths.

Link here

Not only psychopaths murder, they plan more than others... Most in game "murders" are reactionary, and the murders are just growing out of self defence. Also I have no quote for this but psychopaths also generally keep their cool more than others after a murder because they're more worried about keeping themselves from harms way. The psychopath population in jails also decreases significantly because of the suicide rates in jail and their lack of emotion towards others and the deep concern for themselves.

In all honesty, I hate the current KoS aspect of the game but the bandit skin idea doesn't help, why do you think it was removed?

It's unrealistic, also it looks cool so it's more of a prize showing that you've won so many encounters with other players. Also I only have three or four murders under my belt, two of them were self defence. Take that as you will, in all honesty I like having the freedom to run up to a noob and show them the ropes, giving them weapons, blood, morphine and everything they need to start up. As much as I like seeing someone sprinting across the airfield and taking their head off, just let us play the game how we want.