MegaDab

Bring the radio back!

Well, I'm sure many of these have been made, I would like to reiterate the subject again. In .56 experimental for a short while was a radio. I loved it, and think though dayz is sopose to be a realistic zombie survival game; part of it is dealing or enjoying the amount of imiture squeakers running around. My point being if a bunch of squeakers want to run around, give em' a radio. I also don't think it would not harm the game listening to music at camp through a music box instead of a music bot. I know it was in the game at one point, so it should not be too difficult to add back in. The apocalypse is too serious some day and a radio should be a way to add some sort of peace to mind. hopefully this gets somewhere in the forums. 

Edited by MegaDab
  • Like 4

Also sweet jams, there should be different radio stations for different genres!

1 hour ago, valdenburg said:

Actually loved the idea back then in the early days. They planned having real web radios in the game.

Most of the original posts seem to be gone but i found this article: http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/9/4412772/dayz-devs-to-open-in-game-radio-station-submissions-in-two-weeks

'Most of the original posts seem to be gone' 

^ because this would have made dayz awesome.. but we can't have nice things apparently... :( 

the radio station was a thing a while back.. like you said.. but I think they've abandoned that because it's to much work.. relaying the players mics to the entire server.. plus the fact that you will always have trolls... rick roll becomes a think very quickly.. and when the entire server has to listen to that for an hour or so.. (5 people defend the radio station, while the other blasts crappy tunes at us.. because shits and giggles) 

maybe that's why it was not mentioned anymore.. not even mentioning the people that are outright idiots.. (you can just wait for people to spew their religious believes over that server radio, from a muslim call to prayer. all the way down to sieg heil quotes because some people are still jackasses.. 

that's my version of why there's no longer a radio(station) that works in the game.

not to be forgotten.. since this is a post from 2013... dean hall was still at the helm.. and he really wanted to do great things with this game.. in a crazy amount of time.. the devs right now.. not so much.. they want to do a lot of things.. but at their own pace without dean shouting in their ears every 4 hours 'IS IT DONE YET?!' (which is really Ironic because 'It will be done, when its DONE' was deans master quote to begin with)

Edited by veshcula

1 minute ago, veshcula said:

the radio station was a thing a while back.. like you said.. but I think they've abandoned that because it's to much work.. relaying the players mics to the entire server.. plus the fact that you will always have trolls... rick roll becomes a think very quickly.. and when the entire server has to listen to that for an hour or so.. (5 people defend the radio station, while the other blasts crappy tunes at us.. because shits and giggles) 

maybe that's why it was not mentioned anymore.. not even mentioning the people that are outright idiots.. (you can just wait for people to spew their religious believes over that server radio, from a muslim call to prayer. all the way down to sieg heil quotes because some people are still jackasses.. 

Actually it is not a ingame station. The radio stations am talking about are entirely outside the game. Think of a podcast radio or web radio that will get streamlined into the game.

There even was an application back then. You must have a radio station license and apply for a radio. So it would be not like you described a total mess :).

Just now, valdenburg said:

Actually it is not a ingame station. The radio stations am talking about are entirely outside the game. Think of a podcast radio or web radio that will get streamlined into the game.

There even was an application back then. You must have a radio station license and apply for a radio. So it would be not like you described a total mess :).

hmmmm.. ok... well again.. 'too much work, to little time, to much effort, to little energy'  that's a pretty big upset if you ask me to accomplish in dayz..

I was revering to the radio station building IN game.. I thought that had plans (pretty recently) that if you had control over that station/sector.. you could (like I discribed) play tunes across the server..

but now that you mention it.. I remember something like that being in the works around that time.. they called up players to host radio shows and such.. to 'stream' audio into the game.. you're right.
that was a great idea back then.. but I don't think there are enough serious streamers out there that play a wide enough variety of music.. to make that a really large thing.. no matter how awesome it may sound.

26 minutes ago, veshcula said:

hmmmm.. ok... well again.. 'too much work, to little time, to much effort, to little energy'  that's a pretty big upset if you ask me to accomplish in dayz..

I was revering to the radio station building IN game.. I thought that had plans (pretty recently) that if you had control over that station/sector.. you could (like I discribed) play tunes across the server..

but now that you mention it.. I remember something like that being in the works around that time.. they called up players to host radio shows and such.. to 'stream' audio into the game.. you're right.
that was a great idea back then.. but I don't think there are enough serious streamers out there that play a wide enough variety of music.. to make that a really large thing.. no matter how awesome it may sound.

Well they should have enough ressources by now. I think about 60 people work on DayZ atm when i remember correctly.

And the ingame radio stations are indeed still planned like you said, atleast i also believe they are :)

About not enough streamers that might be true right now with a daily playerbase from around 5-10k. But with new updates and old numbers back to 30-50k players we could have enough streamers i guess.

Tbh i would make a radio station for U4G. This was planned back then and i almost bought a web radio license.

However either way, sounding like shoenice here lol, i would also love to make an ingame radio show.

The problem with ingame radio is that only one server can hear it. And then professional web radios will not bother and it would be eventually a feature not used very often.

Tbh we should make a petition to bring back the old idea from real web radio stations being broadcasted to the game :)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, valdenburg said:

Well they should have enough ressources by now. I think about 60 people work on DayZ atm when i remember correctly.

And the ingame radio stations are indeed still planned like you said, atleast i also believe they are :)

About not enough streamers that might be true right now with a daily playerbase from around 5-10k. But with new updates and old numbers back to 30-50k players we could have enough streamers i guess.

Tbh i would make a radio station for U4G. This was planned back then and i almost bought a web radio license.

However either way, sounding like shoenice here lol, i would also love to make an ingame radio show.

The problem with ingame radio is that only one server can hear it. And then professional web radios will not bother and it would be eventually a feature not used very often.

Tbh we should make a petition to bring back the old idea from real web radio stations being broadcasted to the game :)

that sounds like a great idea... do you know the series Z nation? there's also a guy (citizen Z padumtsss) broadcasting from the north pole (NSA employee) 
so people broadcasting outside of the game.. should have certain standards.. you're allowed to broadcast.. but if you 'talk' in your radio show.. dayz related only..
and music wise it should be anything from like the 70's/80's/90's/00's (up until 2014-ish hits since thats when everything went down) and presumably the world as well.. so no new 'tracks' being made..

in all honesty radio would improve the game dramatically since immersion is such a big thing for dayZ.. AND above all... they could make the radio tower of use again... all they need to do is make some kind of switch/mechanism in it.. to activate/deactivate it so when it's on.. you hear broadcasts.

- dj's calling for survivors to go towards a certain town
- moral support talks 'how's your day in chernarus this morning? still kicking I hope?!'
- playing music for relaxation
- maybe even spread rumors on certain things and servers. (Xmas is just around the corner.. and I've picked up on some sweet drops near (...) ammo/good food/new gun! wouldn't that be a good Xmas surprise!)

this being the absolute classic ofc. 

On 27/05/2016 at 2:21 PM, veshcula said:

that sounds like a great idea... do you know the series Z nation? there's also a guy (citizen Z padumtsss) broadcasting from the north pole (NSA employee) 
so people broadcasting outside of the game.. should have certain standards.. you're allowed to broadcast.. but if you 'talk' in your radio show.. dayz related only..
and music wise it should be anything from like the 70's/80's/90's/00's (up until 2014-ish hits since thats when everything went down) and presumably the world as well.. so no new 'tracks' being made..

in all honesty radio would improve the game dramatically since immersion is such a big thing for dayZ.. AND above all... they could make the radio tower of use again... all they need to do is make some kind of switch/mechanism in it.. to activate/deactivate it so when it's on.. you hear broadcasts.

- dj's calling for survivors to go towards a certain town
- moral support talks 'how's your day in chernarus this morning? still kicking I hope?!'
- playing music for relaxation
- maybe even spread rumors on certain things and servers. (Xmas is just around the corner.. and I've picked up on some sweet drops near (...) ammo/good food/new gun! wouldn't that be a good Xmas surprise!)

this being the absolute classic ofc. 

Exactly! :)