Sign in to follow this  
k4g4m1

Reading player states: hunger, thirst, temperature, blood.

My suggestion is to add to the game some way of being able to tell if another player is hungry,thirsty, cold/warm and blood fatigued.

This way, if you have friendly intentions and encounter a player in need of help, you are able to assist them and increase their chance of not killing you for their needs or out of desperation (and hopefully not kill you anyway out of gratitude).

This can be added subtly. It should not be a hud thing where you mouse over someone and go "oh, they are 34% dehydrated".

Rather it would be better with hints by observing the player.

If they are hungry their stomache may rumble. Maybe their stomache is slightly smaller than normal if they are really starving.

If they are thirsty their voice could be hoarser, or they could breathe more heavily when running.

If they are cold they could shiver. If they are warm they would sweat or become redder in their skin.

If you are low on blood, well, i don't know what happens then. But wiki does: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleeding

I am probably just scratching the surface of what is possible here. In truth, I don't really know what signs humans exhibit when they are dehydrated or starved. In either case, this would add another element to the player interaction.

I think this idea would create some really interesting dynamics too. If you are cold, players would probably avoid you like the plague or simply kill you. (Can you get infected from a dead body? :D) If you are low on blood then you would be broadcasting weakness to other players, and it would probably leave you very vulnerable, making the world a lot more lethal.

I am sorry if this has been suggested before, I did search but I could not find anything on it.

So here are some issues that I can think of:

1. "But why can't you just ask the player if they are hungry or thirsty?"

Because they can deceive you. And you may lower your guard thinking you've helped someone, while in reality, they just took a small offer so that they could more easily kill you.

I hate to use this phrase: "but in reality" I think you would have ways of intuitively being able to tell the difference between someone really needing food and someone just pretending.

Asking only works if you are already trusting the other player. But being able to get this information from the game will help a lot with encounters between strangers.

2. It may not be technically feasible to add this in arma 2.

I don't know if this is true or not. If it is, then maybe it is feasible for the future of DayZ? Such as a standalone game or an arma3 mod.

And that's it. I would love to hear some feedback on why this is a great or terrible idea, and how to make it better. :D