Deadeye (DayZ)

Shoot on site solution...

Its seems paranoia is rife amongst Dayz players at the moment. 90% of my encounters with other survivors have ended with either me or them being shot dead. The problem is you just cannot trust anyone not to shoot you in the back for a can of beans, totally ruining any chance of team work amongst causual players.

A simple solution would be to introduce two factions. Survivor or Bandit. It can be treated as a moral decision for your character when you join a server (& non permanent). Friendly fire can be turned off for Survivers, so they cannot kill each other but can still defend themselfs against Bandits. And Bandits can kill whoever they feel like including other Bandits. This would mean the reinclusion of the Bandit skin

This would reduce the paranoia amongst survivors and still allow for pvp.

Thoughts?

Such a new idea

I mean....FACTIONS....who could've thought of that!!! BRILLIANT!!

NEVER been suggested before, and it doesn't contradict >>SANDBOX<< at all

Sigh....

Hawk24 I don't see the problem here. Survivors can't kill each other (they don't want to kill other peep) but Bandits can still kill whoever they frikkin want (other bandits or survivors)

But I don't see any way to make this true without revealing the bandit nature of player on sight. That would be bad.

Hawk24 I don't see the problem here. Survivors can't kill each other (they don't want to kill other peep) but Bandits can still kill whoever they frikkin want (other bandits or survivors)

But I don't see any way to make this true without revealing the bandit nature of player on sight. That would be bad.

Of course you don't see the problem as you fail to understand what Rocket is trying to achieve this mod in the first place

Also FF is always on in ArmA2, you CAN'T turn it off

Factions! Awesome idea! Then, we can make Cherno a "Bandit" town and Elektro a "Survivor" town. With that in place, there will be magical barriers that protect one group from the other. Whoever is the faction leader group of the week get to ride rainbow colored unicorns around the streets, and DMR's rain from the sky.

Not sure about shoot on site, I don't tend to do that on the webz. But perhaps shooting on SIGHT would be a good idea in the game :D

Also FF is always on in ArmA2, you CAN'T turn it off

Ok, i didn't know that. I just made an assumption based on other games i've played.

It's fine how it is, it's how the game is meant to be.

The world has gone to shit, what do you expect?

This would be an EPIC fail and would totally remove the unkown element of this mod, which is part of what makes it so bloody good!

This is obvioulsy coming from someone used to Counter-Strike or something, where you know exactly who your enemies are. We want none of that in DayZ sorry dude....

you can turn it off.....

lol me and some friends turn it off when we do co-op missions because one of our friends has no idea who the enemy is sometimes.

I actually like this. Nobody loses. Survivors can rest easy knowing they can't be killed by other care bears, but bandits still get to kill whom ever they want.

Maybe every 5 days it gives you the option to change to bandit if you want but you can never go back to survivor.

Also FF is always on in ArmA2' date=' you CAN'T turn it off[/quote']

Ok, i didn't know that. I just made an assumption based on other games i've played.

Getting the facts straight is a key to winning arguments.

So are ponies.

Of course you don't see the problem as you fail to understand what Rocket is trying to achieve this mod in the first place

Are you sure you know what he was trying to achieve in the first place?

Hall: Yeah. Actually' date=' we were talking before… This sums up the Arma community. So I’ve been working on Day Z and I’ve got maybe five or so guys to help me check it out. And me and Dslyecxi, we hadn’t really talked before, and I think we just… We added each other on Skype and got to talking. He said, “I’d like to see that persistent world stuff sometime.” And I was like, well, actually, I’ve been working on this zombie thing, and I really need someone to capacity test. And he said, okay, well, I’ve got 40 guys, and they just walked up, that was when the CHKilroy videos were made, and there was no briefing, no nothing, it was just…

[b']Dslyecxi: Everyone standing there in that one gas station.

Hall: And it was just so Arma. Casual but not casual. Really friendly.

I get that in our co-op sessions, yeah. Everybody’s facilitating the other person’s fun, they’re respecting it. It isn’t about you necessarily.

Hall: Yeah.

Dslyecxi: It took me a lot of playing Day Z to psych myself up to kill another player. Because I’m so used to playing with that mentality of, I don’t ever want to spoil anyone in ShackTac‘s fun. We go a long way to prevent that from happening. To get into this environment where there’s all these random people trying to kill you, and where you may get the jump on them and you may have a chance to unfairly kill them, making that mental leap is really tough.

Crowe: And then the EVE players came in.

Hall: And then EVE players came in. And suddenly, wham, there are all these massive exploits. I just shut down Europe, all the Europe servers, you remember? While we fixed that. It was only New Zealand that we could keep running.

Crowe: Yeah, you were saying, there was no such concept as bandits while you were in New Zealand. Then these Europeans came in and started killing each other.

Hall: They did. It got so bad. Because there was a bug where everyone was spawning on the beach. No problem in New Zealand.

Buchta: People started helping each other, right?

Hall: Yeah, they started helping each other.

Buchta: While the Russians…

Hall: There was a guy who would wait there and he would help the new players when they spawned in. And then on the Europe server, it just became a bloodbath. It was so bad we had to shut the server down until I fixed the mechanic.

Buchta: I’m usually playing in the morning, the European morning, because the servers are full and I have family to take care of in the evenings. It’s always like I’m somewhere in the hills, and I’m always so glad I’m away, because the Russians are all chatting about how they killed people in Chernarus.

Crowe: If there was a real zombie apocalypse, I hope to God I’m in New Zealand. Anywhere near Russia, just end it now.

All that is need to reduce the whole KOS issue is player tools that allow people to establish some semblance of order. This includes Intel sharing, notoriety, familiarity and the ability to share these things with others that you come into contact with.

A natural standing would also help, I see your face (ie within 50m of you) you then shoot me, in the future you'll show up red when I put my crosshair over you (only within X meters) simulating the fact I know what you did to me. Yes I'm aware thats not how real life works, guess what we don't respawn irl so we have to work around it.

Additionally anyone with high familiarity with ME (Blue) will also see you as red. Someone with no familiarity with me willl have no change as they have no allegiance nor an understanding of the situation. However, they could choose to set us both to red if they so choose.

Some kinks to be worked out, but atleast this forces no one out of their prefered style and would help people (those so inclined) begin to trust each other.

Great post, Jugg.

Give players the tools to establish their own rules and regulations - and identify violators as they personally see fit.

Some players will use the system to identify killers to avoid, others might use it to identify targets to track.

No engine-driven punishments or rewards. No artificial labels. No blinking lights saying "Bad guy over here!"

Just a bag of tools that people can use.

Wish more discussion on the forum went this way, instead of "We must punish bandits!" or "lol carebear."

I like your idea Jugg, and people who dont like a mechanic like that it could easily be turned off for a higher difficulty setting (I.E. No crosshair). Honestly I would just be happy if there were some sort of group mechanic that just put some sort of identifying mark on your party members, even if it were really subtle. FF can stay on for all I care, I just hate meeting up with a friend who just spawned and talking on TS and saying ME:"Is that you in the field?" Friend:"Yeah." *Bang* [You Are Dead] Friend:"I don't see you, I'm in the field with the antenna, I just heard a gunshot kinda far away though"

-snip-

Five star idea. I'd take it a couple steps further though, maybe add in a distinction for those that helped you, could be a green coloring. Also throw in some sharing abilities for groups, like having map markers seen only between members of a group, syncing up GPS's so that other members will show up on it, communicating with radios on a unique frequency, etc. There's one thing you didn't mention though that's central for your idea to work, persistent identity. If people can just change their names and faces at the drop of a hat, the whole system wouldn't really work. I think names and faces should be tied to GUID so that people can't just hop off the server and change their name to avoid being outed as a bandit/murderer/thief/traitor/whatever, or so that people with good reputations can't be impersonated (at least not easily).

This would take the whole idea of dayz away, The Game is about the paranoia and player reactions if they meet each other.

A natural standing would also help' date=' I see your face (ie within 50m of you) you then shoot me, in the future you'll show up red when I put my crosshair over you (only within X meters) simulating the fact I know what you did to me. Yes I'm aware thats not how real life works, guess what we don't respawn irl so we have to work around it.[/quote']

So what happens if that person dies then, do they lose the red tag then?