Brownee

A Word on "Shoot on Sight"

I'll try not to make this a typical "hur dur why does everyone shoot on sight" thread, as it doesn't take much lurking to realize that those are far too common. I intend to argue the idea that getting shot on site occurs "all" the time.

I've had DayZ for about 2 weeks, playing it for a few hours a day. So while I may not have as much experience as a lot of other people, I feel as if I have encountered enough to talk about this issue. People claim that getting shot on sight is something that is everywhere. However, in my travels, this has not been the case. I've been alone, in a group, with a weapon, without a weapon, in cities, outside of cities. It seems to make no difference. When I see another player in my vicinity, my chances of getting shot on sight seem to be up to a coin toss.

Just yesterday I was on the outskirts of Cherno, preparing to enter the apartment buildings. I scan to my right and see a player pointing his Enfield right at me. In situations like this, my first response (assuming I'm at a tactical disadvantage) is to yell out to them over my mic. So I did. In a panic. "WHATS UP BRO DONT SHOOT ME BRO I LOVE YOU". He seemed startled, and responded saying that he wouldn't shoot me. We ended up teaming up until I broke my leg in a doorway. In almost every situation like this, being able to communicate over my mic has saved my life. Even in situations where people don't respond, talking/yelling into your mic can buy you time to think/act, because people will very rarely shoot you until they've heard what you've had to say, in my experiences. I can count on one hand the amount of times I have been shot on sight in all situations. More often than not, I'm able to either talk my way out of being shot, or talked long enough to enable myself to kill THEM.

So this raises a question for me. Do people who get shot on sight (and then subsequently complain about it on the forum) not have mics? Do they not use their mics? Am I just really lucky with the people I've run into? If you guys have mics and aren't using them in these tense situations, I'd highly recommend trying them out. Maybe you are, and I'm just at a loss as to why I don't get shot all the time.

Anyone else have any similar experiences/results? I'd be happy to hear.

TL;DR: yelling over my mic stops me from getting shot on sight, have the people complaining tried this?

TL;DR: yelling over my mic stops me from getting shot on sight' date=' have the people complaining tried this?

[/quote']

No, they just make threads moaning.

I think that hearing someone's voice does make the encounter a little more "human".

Unfortunately, I also think that just a couple of bad experiences (being murdered) is enough for a lot of people to just say "I'm not taking the chance".

Some other big influences, imo: do both people have weapons? How much do you have to lose (supplies)? If ive almost collected everything I think I need to get out of the starting area and come across someone with a weapon, do I risk trying to talk to them and getting shot...?

To _me_ these experiences are what makes the game so fun :)

how to use mic?

Go to the Direct Communication channel by pressing . or , until you get to it, then press caps lock to speak.

how to use mic?

default is caps lock or x2 caps lock for toggled

Out of all the encounters I have had, I've rarely been shot on sight. Just the other I spawned out side of electro on the east side. I hear some dude taking pot shots so i figure, I just spawned why not investigate. Come to find there is a guy laying down in a tree with an m14 soon as I see him he sees me and shoots at me and misses. I hope on mic and yell at him I have no gun don't shoot. he quits shooting at me so I ended up sneaking around him and checking his pack. Fortunately for him, he didn't have an extra gun in his pack cause I would have killed him and taken his alice pack and m14 LOL. but ya, mics really do help.

Out of all the encounters I have had' date=' I've rarely been shot on sight. Just the other I spawned out side of electro on the east side. I hear some dude taking pot shots so i figure, I just spawned why not investigate. Come to find there is a guy laying down in a tree with an m14 soon as I see him he sees me and shoots at me and misses. I hope on mic and yell at him I have no gun don't shoot. he quits shooting at me so I ended up sneaking around him and checking his pack. Fortunately for him, he didn't have an extra gun in his pack cause I would have killed him and taken his alice pack and m14 LOL. but ya, mics really do help.

[/quote']

Glaring example of why so many KOS

I think that hearing someone's voice does make the encounter a little more "human".

Unfortunately' date=' I also think that just a couple of bad experiences (being murdered) is enough for a lot of people to just say "I'm not taking the chance".

Some other big influences, imo: do both people have weapons? How much do you have to lose (supplies)? If ive almost collected everything I think I need to get out of the starting area and come across someone with a weapon, do I risk trying to talk to them and getting shot...?

To _me_ these experiences are what makes the game so fun :)

[/quote']

The thing is, I'm probably better with my words than I am with my gun. I figure I have a better chance of talking them down (in certain situations) than I do of successfully killing them without coming of any harm to myself. If you do decide to shoot, you have to worry about whether or not he has friends, any zombies you could attract, and people who hear your gunshot. Don't get me wrong, shooting them can be a very good option, but I find that this isn't the case as much as everyone thinks it is.

Out of all the encounters I have had' date=' I've rarely been shot on sight. Just the other I spawned out side of electro on the east side. I hear some dude taking pot shots so i figure, I just spawned why not investigate. Come to find there is a guy laying down in a tree with an m14 soon as I see him he sees me and shoots at me and misses. I hope on mic and yell at him I have no gun don't shoot. he quits shooting at me so I ended up sneaking around him and checking his pack. Fortunately for him, he didn't have an extra gun in his pack cause I would have killed him and taken his alice pack and m14 LOL. but ya, mics really do help.

[/quote']

Glaring example of why so many KOS

LMAO, yea one of my dirty fuck moments. Wouldn't have felt bad about it though, pot shots on the freshly spawned? If that's what you're into......

I got bored with shooting on sight. It's way more fun to interact with people even if you get killed 90% of the time. Without that communication DayZ is just a really slow version of any other shooter.

Try using your mic! Sometimes you don't even get murdered.

To me, I just really don't get the shoot on sight mentality. Certainly it's an element of the game, but I do not believe it is/was intended to be a core feature. What is the point? Sure.. you may get their gear (however much or little it may be), but ultimately you are going to die at some point. Be it a glitch, zeds, hackers, bandits, ignorance -whatever. No matter how much you alt-f4 or server hop, someone or something will eventually have your number and you will have to start over. Servers get wiped, bases get robbed - there is ZERO point in getting attached to or coveting anything. There is alot of talk about realism in this game. It doesn't get much more like real life than accepting the fact that you will die and everything you've achieved up to that point becomes moot.

This idea, to me, is the entire motivating factor to work together. If I've got help, I've got a chance to live longer. Two times the eyes, firepower, scavenging ground covered, pack space etc. Yes, granted, its splitting your resources also... but if I'm finding more of one thing and you of another, we both just benefitted.

I have never got a chance to use the mic. On a few occasions I could have talked to someone when I had the drop on them but that was when I needed some quick loot and killed them to get some.

the use of a mic makes no difference to me...i have had two people hop on their mic and beg me not to shoot...then they sneak up behind me and try to axe me to death...idiots...so now everyone gets shot (if i have a gun)

the use of a mic makes no difference to me...i have had two people hop on their mic and beg me not to shoot...then they sneak up behind me and try to axe me to death...idiots...so now everyone gets shot (if i have a gun)

Even after being "betrayed" like this, I still wouldn't shoot on sight. Just try to guess their intentions, and keep eyes on them. Anything suspicious, then blast them. At that point you shot them, yes, but at least its not on sight, which makes shooting them that much more of an experience. If you play it smart, shooting on sight isn't something that's necessarily required. And you get the benefit of having let someone live, if that's your thing. Makes me feel like I've made a difference.