voxframe

(Humor) Scared the crap out of yourself shooting a gun

I guess this is related more to what kind of audio setup you're running.

I run two large studio monitors as well as a lightweight headset when playing. Usually I keep the headset running fairly low, but the monitors are cranked up quite high and with a lot of low level EQ.

This produces a really nice effect of being able to hear very small high noises clearly in the headset, but also to "feel" the ambiance and lower impact noises due to the monitors.

... This does produce a secondary effect that has caught me several times off guard in DayZ and Arma. Sneaking around for most of the time, paying attention to every detail, I find myself turning up the sound frequently. Then I decide to pull out a shotgun or rifle and let it rip, without thinking about the sound level, nearly blowing my headset off in the process.

Which does of course, fit beautifully into the immersion aspect of the game. A gun is loud! (duh) So it makes sense that it has a slight spook/jump factor when actually used after a day of quiet stalking.

The net effect is usually a handful of startled "Holy shit!"s from myself and anyone nearby lol.

That said, anyone else run a "non-standard" audio rig? Anyone else scare the shit out of themselves in a similar way?

(Just a humorous topic... Nothing serious)

• Like 1

This happens to me while double carrying. I (moronically) seem to run around with my finger poised on the left mouse button. Which is fine when empty handed, or holding a melee weapon, but when I have a gun.... I know it's going to happen, it always does.. but I never know when! And when it does... It's one of those HOLY SHIT moments. It also spooks my buddy whom I play alongside. When it happens all I hear is "Holy fuck was that you holy fuck TREES TREES¬!!!!"