Sadly I don't think there is a clear answer on this, but it doesn't seem to be too high on the developers priority list.

and in addition it seems hard to get it started

im for myself cant find whats needed to actualy move to an unix system for a couple hours now

all i found is 1 lib..

would love to contribute

so if anyone knows a bit more than me pls LMK would love to get this started

and yes i know that it requiers some coding ;)

There is a company, Hosted Game Servers, which claim that they have a working build of DayZ on their Linux servers. All they need is to be whitelisted by the DayZ dev team to put it to the test. This company is very reliable from my experience, and I think they really have something going if they could only put it to the test.

There is a company' date=' Hosted Game Servers, which claim that they have a working build of DayZ on their Linux servers. All they need is to be whitelisted by the DayZ dev team to put it to the test. This company is very reliable from my experience, and I think they really have something going if they could only put it to the test.

hmm hope dev-team team up with them

I doubt that WINE would be very reliable at all. I'm not even sure what the problem is about hosting on Linux. ArmA II dedicated server has been on Linux for a long time. Is the DayZ PBO not compatible or something? Either way, I think hosting on Linux should be a higher priority than what it is at the moment. Windows, in my opinion, stands no chance against Linux in the hosting category. Not even that, but it would be much cheaper to host considering you won't have to worry about buying a Windows license. There are so many advantages over using Windows.

• Like 1

I doubt that WINE would be very reliable at all. I'm not even sure what the problem is about hosting on Linux. ArmA II dedicated server has been on Linux for a long time. Is the DayZ PBO not compatible or something? Either way' date=' I think hosting on Linux should be a higher priority than what it is at the moment. Windows, in my opinion, stands no chance against Linux in the hosting category. Not even that, but it would be much cheaper to host considering you won't have to worry about buying a Windows license. There are so many advantages over using Windows.

[/quote']

I fully agree with you!

Alex Sykotix wrote:

Jayarma2lib isn't available for linux. That controls the persistence in the game. You would be better off talking to BI staff though. Not DayZ. It's a restriction on their engine.

even though there are unix serverfiles:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?136616-ARMA-2-Operation-Arrowhead-Linux-Server-beta-1-60-94342

so i realy dont know whats the problem :D

Alex Sykotix wrote:

Jayarma2lib isn't available for linux. That controls the persistence in the game. You would be better off talking to BI staff though. Not DayZ. It's a restriction on their engine.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?136616-ARMA-2-Operation-Arrowhead-Linux-Server-beta-1-60-94342

they also should fix their site before relasing 1.7.2

Alex Sykotix wrote:

From what I understand' date=' as I've asked Vipeax to clarify for me, the Linux version of the Arma2 Server binary doesn't support a function called callExtension( http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/callExtension ).

callExtension is used to load the addons that are required for DayZ(and may other addons) to run. This functionality had been achieved by JayArma2Lib in the past(I use canned replies in PM's for common issues, I forgot to update that since we stopped using jayarma2. I get A LOT of PMs), but it was very unstable and required that JayArma2Lib be updated with every beta build of the arma2oa server. We also wanted DayZ to less dependent on 3rd party modules, so vipeax introduced @hiveext(Which is also an addon which requires callExtension to load).

The above limitation is not something the DayZ team can fix, as it's an issue with the arma2oa server, and not the DayZ mod itself. As far as we know there are no plans by BI for linux support anytime in the near future. If your really set on getting DayZ working on a Linux box, you should bring up the subject on the BI forums.

There is a company, Hosted Game Servers, which claim that they have a working build of DayZ on their Linux servers. All they need is to be whitelisted by the DayZ dev team to put it to the test. This company is very reliable from my experience, and I think they really have something going if they could only put it to the test.

They've never contacted us regarding whitelisting. We also have an automated signup system at http://support.dayzmod.com that they can use to get whitelisted (Pending engineering team approval of course). I also don't see anywhere on their site that mentions a linux build of dayz. Google doesn't show anythng either.

Well I am currently testing my server (FR 34) with WINE on Debian.

For now I can't see any real problems and I can switch back to Windows Server OS if any.

Load average is max 1.2 with an 8 core CPU and 48 players.

I hope I won't be blacklisted for my unfaithfulness to Windows, and I understand the will of the devteam to keep on Windows for debugging purposes.

mind sharing some runtime specs ?

like avg cpu/ram/traffic consumption for like 40 players ?

For 40 players I don't know since it is not linear, and should be exponential : "more players" means more interactions between them, and maybe more zombies also.

Anyway for 50 players :

Network:

upload peak = 7.7 Mbits/sec

download peak = 4.5 Mbits/sec

Load:

Load average = 1.2 with an Intel Xeon E3-1230 (4 real cores @ 3.2GHz)

That means that the server could host 3 instances. *BUT* I think there is still a bottleneck somewhere, since sometime I can see the yellow or red link icon on the screen when I am playing. During this time I don't know what the cpu is waiting...

Since this is alpha test, the server code will change, maybe it will release some horsepower and the load average will change accordingly.

I have to mention that the "wineserver" process uses less than 3% of CPU. I use also AutoHotkey to click automatically on the "Close" button when a core dump occurs, that uses much less than 1% of CPU.

Memory: well, this is not an issue : 3% of 8 GB when server starts. I dont have the figures during the time.

These statistics are inaccurate since I setup the server last tuesday only. It's too fresh!

If you read the thread carefully, you will see that I run DayZ server on Linux, using WINE. And Wine Is Not an Emulator, nor a virtual machine. I have the same lags playing with my server on Linux than on other servers on Windows, so the OS should not be an issue.

The core of Windows NT (and next versions) is an excellent OS. Don't bad mouth on it.

The bloatware around is quite shitty I concur.

thanks for the infos!

btw are winetricks needed ? i think im gonna try your setup.. got a couple squeeze servers but not 1 single windows :D

Well I am currently testing my server (FR 34) with WINE on Debian.

For now I can't see any real problems and I can switch back to Windows Server OS if any.

Load average is max 1.2 with an 8 core CPU and 48 players.

I hope I won't be blacklisted for my unfaithfulness to Windows' date=' and I understand the will of the devteam to keep on Windows for debugging purposes.

[/quote']

If your running DayZ on wine, by all mean's keep running it. I did not expect DayZ to run well on wine. I may actually do that very same setup on one of my test boxes...

Those who wants the procedure can PM me with an e-mail so that I can send them a tar file with the readme and the scripts.

• Like 3

just setting up a linux box with

Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz

4gb ram

100mbit

125gb hdd

using squeeze

lets roll it :)

I hope I won't be blacklisted for my unfaithfulness to Windows' date=' and I understand the will of the devteam to keep on Windows for debugging purposes.

[/quote']

Just to be clear on this:

A work-around is not likely to become a recommended method, but blacklisting for running official 'tools' (hive etc) on a custom environment isn't likely to happen, keep it up :).

@facoptere

Thanks for sending the details!

Setting up a Ubuntu server right now, but since I´m a Linux greenhorn

it will certainly take some time until I´ve properly figured out what you worked out.. ;)

Are your servers still up or did anyone run into some issues by now?

specs:

i7 950 @3.07 GHz

8GB RAM

100 MBit

Ubuntu 10.04 (Kernel 2.6.32-33-server)

Edited by LennyMcCoy

works like a charm

i guess this will take you some days to get it run properly :D