Sign in to follow this  
RomanZ (DayZ)

Journal: Character age instead of zed count

I've always wondered why the journal would show the total number of zombies on the server. That seems really irrelevant. At best, it's a slight indication for whether other players are in towns (high zed count per player) or not (low zed count per player), which is something the player really shouldn't know.

Instead, I'd love to see the age of my character in the journal. The current info ("Survived: 20 Day(s)") is just fine, but it doesn't tell you how long you actually survived for, because you might have just taken a break from playing. My suggestion is thus to replace the zed count by the character age in hours and minutes (hh:mm). That would give people another incentive to survive for as long as possible, e.g., to break their personal record.

• Like 1

I agree, it should be based off of days and hours online in the server, that's your survival time.  A good example of how the survival time is now, I took a long break from the mod, came back once in awhile... my survival time was 330 days... If this was implemented correctly, it'd also be nice if servers could have leaderboards for survival time, bandit kills, murders, etc...

My best guess is that "days survived" is close enough to be your character's age. As soon as you spawn in, the timer immediately starts.

2 hours ago, TIC said:

My best guess is that "days survived" is close enough to be your character's age. As soon as you spawn in, the timer immediately starts.

I think you got me wrong. What's currently shown in the journal appears to be the real time difference between now and the time of the last spawn (after dying, not relogging). This does not account for (possibly long) breaks in your play. To make it a bit clearer, here's a simple example:

Assume you play for an hour on March 1st. Then you log off and resume play on the 11th. The journal will say: "Survived: 10 Day(s)", even though your character has been alive for one hour only.

On 19-2-2016 at 8:40 PM, MulderDayz said:

I agree, it should be based off of days and hours online in the server, that's your survival time.  A good example of how the survival time is now, I took a long break from the mod, came back once in awhile... my survival time was 330 days... If this was implemented correctly, it'd also be nice if servers could have leaderboards for survival time, bandit kills, murders, etc...

The Europa server had a working leader board a while ago. I'm glad that it's gone, the game shouldn't be about stats or being the best, it should be about survival and what you experience as you live. For me, stats always tend to ruin any game, maybe I'm just too easily addicted to them :P

Though being able to see how long you've been alive (hh:mm) might be a nice addition to the game. Especially combined with a feature that you can see someone else their journal when they're dead. But I don't think any of your stats should be publicly visible on a leader board or something.

Edited by Porto
added the last allinea