Sign in to follow this  
Slyguy65

Sanity meter re envisioned (long post)

This is a long post if you are lazy and do not want to read please don't bother commenting even if you read or skimmed some other sanity meter idea this is different.

NOTE: These ideas for how sanity would work are a bit of a "stretch"

Ill try and be as to the point as possible. Quick overview for those who don't know what i mean by sanity meter, i mean a new feature for the HUD that displays your mental state/sanity this would be mainly for measuring your PVP PVE activity.

You start neutral, if you kill you go more crazy with each kill, if you help other people and cooperate within a group you are benefited. The system works on a stage or level system there are 3 stages for good and bad

Losing sanity

STAGE ONE: So lets say you start off, find a gun, and kill someone...being neutral you would go into the negative this is more or less a warning.

(You revert back to neutral after an hour or so of no killing, or if you bandage or give a blood transfusion to instantly gain sanity)

STAGE TWO: If you kill again while already in bad you start blurring your perception, you are now enjoying and or becoming numb from murder it is no longer about loot you are lustful for blood, because of this you no longer see the gun or backpack of survivors you come across.

(A longer wait time say 2 hours or if you bandage a person twice or give one blood transfusion)

STAGE THREE: Who are we kidding your a homicidal maniac who has blurred the line between real and unreal, you are in a zombie apocalypse you have never known the word cooperation you only know how to look out for number one. Therefore EVERYBODY IS A THREAT everything that moves is a "walking dead" since you will make it dead soon enough.

At this stage of (seemingly) no return you see players as zombies (yes it will still be kind of obvious who the real people and who aren't if observed close enough but if they are crawling...good luck)

Don't worry there is hope if you feel like repenting...no entering a church and crouching will not help (your in a zombie cluster fuck, that shit is already forsaken dumbass) THE ONLY CURE is to stay near other people for a good 15 minutes or so....that will revert you back to stage two insanity from there you cure it the way as described in the earlier steps.

SUMMARY OF SANITY (BAD)

STAGE ONE

-warning (bandage or blood transfuse to revert to neutral)

STAGE TWO

-you don't see the equipment of other survivors

STAGE THREE

-you see survivors as zombies

(Don't comment just to disagree especially if you just read the summary the reasoning is quite fair and logical in the paragraphs above...)

Gaining Sanity

STAGE ONE: If you are neutral and "help" out someone by bandaging them transfusing or being near them without killing them....you gain sanity. After about 30 minutes you eventually get to see their name (even on servers that are expert god forbid any game mechanics take away from the realism)

STAGE TWO:If you have bandaged someone multiple times or given them two blood transfusions or stayed around them for an hour you are obviously at least "buddies" or "pals" by now and are cooperating well and have created a "system" to communicate with. To put it simply you can "whisper" each other in close vicinity (perhaps tweak the vehicle channel to have it be the "buddy channel" so to speak) This would give you the ability to talk and decide what to do when a "new comer" enters your group and don't want them being able to listen you use that channel. Yes i know people use TS and skype and stuff but a lot of others don't plus this "buddy chat" would be for more "spur of the moment" buddy making and cooperating (letting you know that it is actually a valid option to play alone and have the possibility of finding a group)

STAGE 3:

By this time you are a band of brothers/sisters you feel like you can take a bullet for one another and or dodge bullets to save one another. This "bond" was created through time and cooperation to achieve this you need to have bandaged or transfused AT LEAST ONE TIME and spent around an 1h 30m+ with the individual you wish to have a "bond" with; you are aware of each others behavior you can anticipate how each would act when in each others vicinity.

Having a bond with someone allows you to see an icon above their head on the screen (the same party icon you see when in a squad in reg ARMA2).

SANITY (GOOD) SUMMARY

STAGE 1

-you get to see their names no matter what type of server.

(It is unrealistic to not know a persons name or be able to distinguish a persons look from others, after spending time with them)

STAGE 2

-You gain access to the "buddy channel" or the ability to "whisper" with whomever person(s) you have been accompanying.

STAGE 3

-You gain the ability to see icons over companions heads (maybe even on the map though you both would need a GPS)

(I feel i am going to regret making a summary section as most will just view them and not even bother hearing the reason or logic behind each stage...and a flood of ignorant flame will commence)

P.S I think the ideas listed could be tweaked or modified if needed which is why im posting to hear others opinions on these ideas.

THE REASON I POSTED THIS IN GENERAL

This idea has been suggested with humanity return and what not, i am posting this to hear the opinions of the ones who browse general (mix of everyone) since this is also a discussion dealing with a possible deterrence of those who PVP or as i would say OVER PVP and also benefit the people who cooperate since IMO they are the only ones being punished right now (since if cooperating you have to split loot and keep track of each others actions) when compared to PVP (just kill them and take their shit now you have more stuff all for you) it is quite obvious what the majority of people will choose. There needs to be a tad more balance and also more features IMO and i think this deals in both.

Have you ever played Amnesia: The Dark Descent? It's got a good sanity mechanism that will freak you out. But yes, that should be an area that cannot be overlooked.

Nope i hear it is a good "scary" game ive seen footage of it i just thought it was a mystery survival did not know there was sanity...i really need to play that game....eventually...

Nope i hear it is a good "scary" game ive seen footage of it i just thought it was a mystery survival did not know there was sanity...i really need to play that game....eventually...

The best horror game ever.. if you play in the dark with your headset I guarantee that you'll stop it after 10 minutes to switch the lights on. :-)

But back on DayZ I'm surprised how good the panic attacks are!

I feel your getting ....off topic did you even read the post?

I don't like this it would stop people from pvp. If I want to kill a couple people in a few minutes because I can I don't want to go insane for doing so. We are just trying to survive no reason for us to try to stay "sane" so we can benefit some other players.

While you've obviously put some thought into this... I'm sorry but just no.

What you're trying to do is punish bandits while incentivising co-operative play. This is not the solution to the problem you're attempting to address. ALL styles of play need to be incentivised in some way. Punishing players for a particular style defeats the purpose of the sandbox and the freedom that this game offers.

No offense PVP is already an OVER incentive

people who cooperate IMO are the only ones being punished right now (since if cooperating you have to split loot and keep track of each others actions) when compared to PVP (just kill them and take their shit now you have more stuff all for you) it is quite obvious what the majority of people will choose

Why is "cooperation" treated as taboo god forbid killing is actually considered the "worse" of the two options between working with or killing your fellow man seriously where is the logic?

P.S if you read....all...of...it you would know you can cure yourself of bad and go back to normal, also it can be tweaked so it is 2-3 kills per stage...seriously though REALISTICALLY after that first kill a person becomes numb and accustomed to killing quite fast...and it being a zombie apocalypse and all it makes sense for them to lose sanity fast...and viewing others as zombies....also to reply to your suggestion...eh it took like 5 minutes to think up 10 minutes to write.

Honestly if you read ALL of it the reasoning is there im not trying to PUNISH or BENEFIT one of the other like i knew would be assumed ...i am merely giving a system that would help the current issue now (over incentive to PVP)

Are you kidding me? You're not trying to punish or benefit either side? Did YOU even read your original post? There are clear punishments for killing and incentives for teaming up. Like most of the people who try to offer similar solutions, you are missing the point entirely.

If you want to balance the game, you offer incentives for ALL styles of play. What you're proposing is punishments for a style of play you obviously don't like in an attempt to force those players more towards your style.

For the record, I read your entire post... I just think your ideas are bad ones and don't make sense in the same way that you seem to think they do.

I really don't see how im punishing the bandits...all that would change at stage three is that they see everyone as a zombie model...I don't see how me giving "weight" to the value of human life a bad thing....or how it "punishes", the only thing my system does is give human life more value; since after all this is a REALISTIC game and not CoD (where you just kill everyone like their from the enemy country) in fact making players zombie skinned like the other zombies would actually just be doing what the CoD/kill frenzy people are used to...it makes all the other players appear to be "on the other team" so in fact i think im aiding PVP players by making the game feel more familiar....so how exactly am i being unfair? and punishing bandits?

*sigh*

Pick a justification for your ideas and stick with it.

PS. They're still bad. Sorry.

Are you kidding me? You're not trying to punish or benefit either side? Did YOU even read your original post? There are clear punishments for killing and incentives for teaming up. Like most of the people who try to offer similar solutions' date=' you are missing the point entirely.

If you want to balance the game, you offer incentives for ALL styles of play. What you're proposing is punishments for a style of play you obviously don't like in an attempt to force those players more towards your style.

For the record, I read your entire post... I just think your ideas are bad ones and don't make sense in the same way that you seem to think they do.

[/quote']

Im sorry but um are you fucking oblivious? I have to ask since your speaking as though the game right now needs incentives for PVP....are you fucking high there are plenty of incentives I JUST FUCKING RESTATED THEM; PVP allows others to take the possessions and get rid of a potential enemy...and cooperating pretty much just has you splitting up loot and having to worry about what the other person(s) are doing all the time....now after the third fucking time saying it how the fucking hell is there not already incentives for PVP i merely added incentives for COOP since right now there is no incentive for COOP.

Also im being REALISTIC murder is not something that should be rewarded more than it REALISTICALLY should be if you kill a fucker you get his shit NUFF SAID that is the ONLY INCENTIVE that there should be to kill someone.

The game allows murder IT DOES NOT ENCOURAGE IT but nevertheless it is 90% of the game next to looting sooo once...again....how....the....fuck....am i not being REALISTIC or BALANCED....PVP already has an incentive Cooperation only has negative effects.

The main goal should be to DETER murder right now it is option number EVERY OPTION for almost everyone....

P.S There is no justification it is just simple fact what other incentives would be REALISTIC for a person who murders someone other than to get their stuff....oh and schadenfreude cause that second one is a REALISTIC option to kill someone and totally not an option due to the fact it is a game.

The decreasing sanity thing is not really needed because a mentally demented person wouldn't even be able to tell if they are demented or not therefor seeing everything normal. The positive side is great though and would encourage teamwork, full support to that side. Maybe even add an option to share food/water with your best buddy?

I really don't see how im punishing the bandits

that is literally the sum of your entire post from top to bottom

ps. it's hard to make points anyone will take seriously when every single use of 'your' is wrong

on topic, a generalized sanity system is not a bad idea but it absolutely CANNOT enforce or reward one playstyle over another

The decreasing sanity thing is not really needed because a mentally demented person wouldn't even be able to tell if they are demented or not therefor seeing everything normal. The positive side is great though and would encourage teamwork' date=' full support to that side. Maybe even add an option to share food/water with your best buddy?

[/quote']

I don't really know how to put it except you just fortified the fact that my reasoning behind an "insane" person seeing players as zombies makes sense since they will mostly see zombies and shoot on sight do to that fact reality becomes blurred and they just simplify things and just process everything as a constant target/threat/w/e (seeing them as zombies)

Glad you at least like the good part fully since it is obvious cooperation should be buffed...and it would be more realistic for people to COOPERATE instead of shoot each other. All the other people who deny that are dumb as hell since in EVERY zombie interpretation the dominant theme in all of them is SURVIVAL through either solo or cooperative means.

All these crazy people thinking PVP should be the main thing are confused that we are not in a NORMAL apocalypse we are in a ZOMBIE apocalypse totally different things.

I really don't see how im punishing the bandits

that is literally the sum of your entire post from top to bottom

ps. it's hard to make points anyone will take seriously when every single use of 'your' is wrong

on topic' date=' a generalized sanity system is not a bad idea but it absolutely CANNOT enforce or reward one playstyle over another

[/quote']

i spent 10 minutes typing a message to the internet...im not going to proof read it when there is a good chance that most won't give a fuck, some will only partially care and or even read the whole thing...so ya.

Once again people are over simplifying my intentions...i am looking for BALANCE...and for that to happen PVP needs a deterrent (for the love of god look up the word if you don't know) you can not tell me right now that this game is not unbalanced....seriously

Plus im trying to stay in the realm of realism...when it comes to murder WHAT REALISTIC REASON do you have to kill someone in a ZOMBIE apocalypse besides to get their stuff, it should be a NECESSITY not a sport (which it is now, since half the time im SNIPED and never even looted i just sit there past out and i bleed out before right before my 5 miinute timer is done....soo ya)

you are capitalizing both ZOMBIE and REALISTIC in the same post

do you understand how ridiculous you sound right now

furthermore, bandits and aggressive players are teaming up just as much if not more than "friendly" players

if you want to balance things, then make some friends and go hunt them; your own actions are the only bandit deterrents in this game

I don't really know how to put it except you just fortified the fact that my reasoning behind an "insane" person seeing players as zombies makes sense since they will mostly see zombies and shoot on sight do to that fact reality becomes blurred and they just simplify things and just process everything as a constant target/threat/w/e (seeing them as zombies)

Isn't the fact that they are shooting multiple players indicator enough that they are not the most mentally stable ones? I don't like what this whole thing would do to the small player hunter packs who roam and kill lone groups. They work together and are completely sane, yet they choose to murder people to boost their own chances of survival, i don't see why that should be punishable by any means

A player who keeps killing players and does not cooperate clearly sees players only as a threat, therefore he does not need to necessarily see them as zeds, it's just his moral compass that has gone haywire, not his eyesight

Really dude your going to call me ridiculous...funny thing you mention that i capitalize them to illustrate the exact thought you have, im kind of tired of hearing everyone only want REALISM when it is convenient but oh no watch out if you start using realism in a context that does not benefit a certain person(s) they feel it their duty to correct the error...when all they are doing is being a hypocrite.

Ah and about the "group killers" yes they could exploit the general outline of what i wrote down but with simple tweaking it could be subverted to be honest plus REALISTICALLY (i emphasize this word due to the silly amount of people who think this game must include it and just sit and wait for hypocrites or people unaware of the communities general mindset to roll in; it is simple sarcasm since i find it hilarious how people think a GAME can really mimic REALITY when in essence all they want is an excuse for no penalties against KILLING...thats fine and all its just when others are not allowed to cry REALISM for other reasons and are criticized for doing so i can't help but speak up.

yeah penalty systems will not be tolerated by the pvpers. no chance.

but i think you can work with this idea. maybe lower penalties more. if you begin to murder as a "normal" person out of fear and the will to survive it WILL touch you mentally in someway. being alone over a long time also changes your personality. in fact it will seriously damge you mentally if you dont believe me ask your trusted local psychotherapist.

so maybe at some time after killing a bunch of survivors your breath rate will be higher and/or your heartbeat rate will rise if you have pray in sight. later your hands get shaky occasionally. maybe you see no Zs more but only human skins. i dont know how far insanity and visual aspects work together...

all this penalties have to be revertable through time or positive actions.

but still: pvpers dont like the slightest of penalties even if it would make sense.

Isn't the fact that they are shooting multiple players indicator enough that they are not the most mentally stable ones? I don't like what this whole thing would do to the small player hunter packs who roam and kill lone groups. They work together and are completely sane' date=' yet they choose to murder people to boost their own chances of survival, i don't see why that should be punishable by any means

A player who keeps killing players and does not cooperate clearly sees players only as a threat, therefore he does not need to necessarily see them as zeds, it's just his moral compass that has gone haywire, not his eyesight

[/quote']

You have a great point about the "hunting groups" that is why the average lone killer would view them as a threat and well nature would play out accordingly...also you know what a delusion is...im speaking of sanity in a literal sense....if we want to be serious here a normal person in the middle of a zombie apocolypse all by themselves would start blurring the line between the line between reality and fiction since well...in the characters world of dayz...fiction just became reality and if they start shooting at other people for sport...that should be read that the person is clearly a homicidal maniac i clearly stated stage one is a warning...if you just start going and killing everyone ya that is unrealistic...going on a high building in a major city just to snipe others is unrealistic and does nothing but PUNISH other players....therefore a deterrent should be set in place so that PLAYER BEHAVIOR becomes a tad more balanced.

taking the other persons loot is the benefit of killing someone and not getting the other persons loot is the disadvantage of not killing some one. I understand what the op is saying but i disagree with it. Leave the game the way but make servers without friendly fire available. If you want to play on one, do it, if you don't...don't.

Bottom line is....this IS a game people will play it LIKE A GAME if they can kill THEY WILL KILL they will find excuses and reasoning LATER.

Due to this obvious proven fact (look at how people play now) a deterrent should be put in place.

To prevent pointless killing up the ass a reason to NOT KILL is given to hamper simple human behavior....simply telling people stop killing so much for no reason....will not do anything there fore i state again THIS IS NOT PUNISHING BANDITS IT IS MERELY DETERRING KILLING FOR SPORT.

The PVP situation is simply put; just like parenting a spoiled brat...no matter what you tell him he already feels entitled to do whatever he want cause he thinks he CAN do whatever he wants...when words don't work action does...no matter what.

It is simply asinine to believe the PVP situation of "killing for sport" will just "work itself out" seriously.

ALL my "punishment" (which it isn't) does is cause the PVP'er work harder...god fucking forbid effort is put into killing someone....

While cooperation takes "time" to strengthen PVP would take "effort" to keep up they both have their own equal currency....

Also i love how people just say i punish the bandits...they don't elaborate...how bout this i will take those comments seriously when you actually tell me how im punishing one over the other...i clearly stated MULTIPLE TIMES in MULTIPLE WAYS and yet all i hear is "OMG YOUR PUNISHING MEEEE" or the more sensible "well the concept is ok...but punishing is not gana happen"....both still don't explain how im "punishing" i am merely deterring the "killing for sport" mindset and making it REALISTIC in the fact that you would only kill or approach others for supplies...now please do tell how that idea is unfair or punishing to bandits?

taking the other persons loot is the benefit of killing someone and not getting the other persons loot is the disadvantage of not killing some one. I understand what the op is saying but i disagree with it. Leave the game the way but make servers without friendly fire available. If you want to play on one' date=' do it, if you don't...don't.

[/quote']

Great idea....except that makes the game way more unbalanced...you could just server hop coop servers and gear up then go to pvp to kill...you are exactly the type of person i think of when it comes to this game..you think this is a damn murder simulator....it is not it is a zombie apocalypse...there should be murder AND cooperation right now its just murder...if it stays like this the game will go to shit having people thing this is just a sniper simulator where you can pick off people on an open map...and for it to completely coop would be boring. The game NEEDS a balance of both for it to really be what is was meant to be. one over the other just makes it something different...

More than punishing the players who kill players constantly maybe they should discourage dying repeatedly. Like if a player dies x amount of times in 1 hour their respawning would be blocked globally for another hour. Not maybe the best set of time but the general idea of punishing repeated deaths is something I'd love to see. This would also make people do less respawns at start in order to get better starting spot. Or simply increase death timer so after dying it will take some 30 minutes before you can respawn. Maybe even add a mechanic where if a friend secures your remainings or something you could respawn immediately encouraging teamwork even more and really hurting those lone wolf deathmatchers who die really often

• Like 1

fact: the numbers on player deaths (which unfortunately are down currently) show murder to be the cause maybe 20% of time at best

it's almost as if pvp isn't nearly the issue that people claim it is